Directed By Women Countdown?

Tools    

There are no complications or ambiguities with these rules:
There are not ambiguities, but there are tons of complications. The list being called "Directed by women" and not "Directed by cis women" means that by excluding trans women we would be misgendering them; and the proposed alternative of making another list for trans (or even LGBT, which is a very diverse and transversal collective) directors is simply and sadly not viable with the representation trans people have in the industry. The Wachowskis are one of the few exceptions (the only maybe?) of trans directors actually getting a chance to make big projects in Hollywood.

On the other hand I discussed this before so I'm probably not adding anything new to the debate but the Wachowskis didn't suddenly realize that they were women in 2008. The case scenario where they had to perform as cis men to keep their jobs is not exactly a measure of privilege.

Also @jiraffejustin you are getting a bit overboard with the transphobia here.

Welcome to the human race...
I thought it was a matter of Cobpyth going "do these look like women to you" and JJ going "yeah, they do".

I was just pointing out that it's not that weird for people to perceive them winning a 'Directed By Women' Countdown as absurd.

I was just pointing out that it's not that weird for people to perceive them winning a 'Directed By Women' Countdown as absurd.
True, it's not that weird, but that is actually symptomatic of the lack of social acceptance for transgender identities. I think this rather constitutes an argument for than against their inclusion.

I thought it was a matter of Cobpyth going "do these look like women to you" and JJ going "yeah, they do".
Hmmm probably. I thought JJ was being sarcastic.

Agree with everything Jal is saying. Also agree with Cob that a decision should be made soon (if it already hasn't i haven't read the thread) so we can move on.

Vote for their films if you are inclined, Don't if your not. Case dismissed. Start a trans thread and tell people how phobic they are there.

For the record i don't like any of The Wachowskis films and i don't even think i know another trans director but i do think all of their films should be included for the reasons Jal stated. People making their own decision on it is definitely the best solution here.

Some of you are thinking that including the Wachoskis is about social issues, and if we don't include them it's somehow discrimination. But this isn't about social issues, it's a countdown...

And one that I thought was about giving a look at a group of directors who are under explored as there does seem to be an unfair bias towards women as directors in the world.

I thought the whole idea of a Women Directors Countdown is that women directors (in general) don't always get the same breaks in film making as men. In fact it could be said that movies directed by women have a harder time getting financial backing, making the path for a woman director all that much harder. So if the Wachowskis were making movies as men, they then had advantages at the time, that a woman director might not have had. Seems logical to me.

Anyway it's up to the host.
That's my last post on it.

...There should be a Hall of Fame at some point...
Good idea! The 14th Hof just ended, the 70s Hof is winding down, and I'm not starting the 15th for awhile. So somebody should host a Directed by Women Hof to help support this countdown. It sounds fun

Vote for their films if you are inclined, Don't if your not. Case dismissed. Start a trans thread and tell people how phobic they are there.
I'm sorry I used such a terrible insult, probably felt a little heated after reading a comment sarcastically mocking two trans women because they don't look like women to him.

Some of you are thinking that including the Wachoskis is about social issues, and if we don't include them it's somehow discrimination. But this isn't about social issues, it's a countdown...
And yet:

And one that I thought was about giving a look at a group of directors who are under explored as there does seem to be an unfair bias towards women as directors in the world.
Like, you can't tell me that this is not about social issues and then justify the countdown based on a social issue. It's true that women are less represented and have less opportunities and I agree with the feeling, but I fail to see why does the Wachowskis not being able to reveal their gender identity not count as a similar form of discrimination and social burden.

Anyway, i think it's only fair to include their work from both before and after coming out. If one of the reasons for creating this countdown in the first place is about considering the "feminine experience", then it's worth considering the transfeminine experience and how even the Wachowskis' earlier works reflects that.
For the record Iro made a ruling here. We've accepted other hosts rulings like Nope allowing anything that counted as Sci-Fi on IMDB, and Citizen's sole 30's Countdown when a number of members wanted to include 20's films. Think each member should decide whether they want to vote for them or not.

Let the night air cool you off
I'm sorry I used such a terrible insult, probably felt a little heated after reading a comment sarcastically mocking two trans women because they don't look like women to him.
And yet you assume my gender. When have I ever told you it is acceptable to refer to me with masculine pronouns? I really think the Wachowskis are women. You owe me an apology at least.