Answer this, please!

Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Has anyone else noticed that on almost every DVD there's a half second pause with no sound some where after the first hour?

What's the reason for this? If the film is close to three hours, there's usually another one somewhere in the second hour, too.

What's up with this? Can anyone answer this question?
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

I must become Caligari..!
Its when the DVD skips Layers, Coz DVDs are like CD's except they have more than 1 layer. THe Cheaper the DVD the less suttle the skip
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

That's the cool thing about Superbit DVD's. They leave out all the extra features and trailers, and encode the DVD at nearly 3 times the bitrate. Which means they only have to be one layer, and the picture is even more clear than a standard DVD. But honestly, the layer change pause can't bug you too much. My friends and I are so used to it, that whenever it happens, we all go "layer change!" at the same time. It also says one the back of almost every DVD "Layer change may trigger a slight pause".

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Thanks for all the info. It seems that this was common knowledge, but I wasn't aware of it I thought I was going crazy!

I have noticed this before also, and I always just thought it was my DVD player which is really crappy.