Abortion; Why?

Tools    

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I thought the nature of this argument is whether abortion can be justified,not if it's supposed to be legal.

Yes,please do because you keep arguing with me and questioning my opinion when I don't really know yours.I don't know what I am arguing against.

No one decides anything.

okay,you're male right? What if your wife is pregnant and it may be fatal for her to have a child?What would your position be in this?I mean during the birth,the doctor comes to you and says and it's either mother or the kid,you make the decision.I mean,doctors themselves tell you to choose.

well,rape is a more common thing than the world end.

I told you that I don't consider unborn human.

Yes,I would.I don't think that they have children because they want them.They just don't have protection and enough medical centres to do abortions.How can a woman want to see her child starving?

I hope you realize that you can't compare these things.

Well,if you could normally quote and answer my posts,it would be easier for me.

It's not about dying.It's about having a miserable childhood which leads to miserable life.

Again,it's not abut dying.Maybe in Africa it is.Let's go back to 1st world countries.You anti-abortion people only care about the unborn,not about the born babies.Did you help any of the struggling mothers?Do you feed a child on the street?Do you report when you see parents' hitting a kid?I think all of us has witneesed or at least heard about someone abusing their kids,yet no one talks.But you sure will encourage all of them to have babies.It's easy to talk pro-life.It's another thing to actually take action.
Don't swear at me.Am I swearing at you?

what does it even have in common?

you don't really understand what I mean by bad life.It's not only being hungry and poor.It's about being unloved.It's about growing in with careless parents(in your perfect pro-life planet they probably don't exist),feeling unsafe in your home,feeling lonely,isolated,having troubles to form a connection,never really having things like Christmas dinner,family trips.If you're poor but your parents love you,then it's great.But it's not that good when they neglect you.It may scar you for life and the worst thing is,you may not even know it.So yes,if mother was raped,if she just doesn't want to have the kid,if she thinks that she can't handle the responsibility,if she just doesn't care,then yes,I will base it on a guess that the child will be unloved and damaged.
First of all sorry if i got a bit emotional...I didn't swear at you...So here we go again...I see you have more ifs...Arguments based on ifs...What I'm talking about is this,every one of us could have bad life,that means every baby in the world should be killed,who can say that someones life will be bad? Are you Nostradamus?If you can look in to the future you can make some serious money...And that part about not helping after baby's are born,well I took part in a lot of actions that include helping poor people but you just GUESS that I didn't but it just impossible to help everyone,but w8 you are giving me that but what if someone can tell you that you killed a future genius, or a person that would have normal life,kids,wife?What then you would just say "I didn't know" ...Ok you say it is about bad life not just death,ok I understand that but we all could have bad lives,right?So again I'm standing by that chance theory...I really don't see point of this because you don't consider unborn a child...Life is a hard thing,we will all get in bad situations...You never saw someone who was born in "normal" situation getting a bad life? I have a need to ask this again but don't tell me you thought I wrote names of those 3 guys because they were only 3 persons?
But again you are guessing,ifs...And talking about people that are starving why you never mention people who are not starving?This is what i want to say you can't take someone's chance and a chance to fight for his place in this world!But again your arguments is starving ,ifs and guesses...And why can't I use that doctors-cops thing?All in all they are same thing...If every women goes for abortion because there are kids who are starving then cops can stop working because there will always be killing and crime,doctors can stop working because people will always get sick and die...

EDIT- And w8 if you consider only life of poor people as a bad life that is just wrong...You can be ritch but still have a bad life,bad life is in every class...And what is bad life?Who can say what bad life is?Some people have better life in 20 years while some people live 80-90 years and they still have bad lifes...

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I think you might be misinterpreting the situation. Access to abortion would be good for the poorer parts of Africa, though even more important would be better access to contraception (which would lessen the need for abortions) - this is because of the also very low access to other healthcare, including that which could aid the mother with giving birth, and also the lack of food - there are many families in Africa and the rest of the Third World which are unable to feed enough, partially because they have more children than they could possibly sustain (average family size is larger in the Third World than in the Western world).

Also: "we are guessing you are a terrorist so we will kill you" - don't they sometimes do that already in real life? :P

Also, that post is rather hard to read because of the... formatting. :/
She had similar questions so I responded to her,it would be kinda stupid to respond to similar things 2 times ...And about that formatting,give me a break ,it was 2am....And that terrorist part ,do you support when that happens? I think you don't?

In the other case, the mother also has the life principle at her side, as she is in danger. In that case it is defendable to give her the option to prevent her from dying, even if that means that she has to end her pregnancy because of it.
what about baby's right to be free? Is he less entitled to be free?

Is there a difference?
For me it is.I am more interested in the moral/real side of the abortion,not the legal/political one.
I'd probably take her to another doctor. Deliberate abortion is never necessary in order to save the mother's life. It is possible to remove the fetus without direct abortion.
if it were always possible,mothers wouldn't die during births.And what does that even mean - direct abortion?Fetus dies,who cares how.

I'll reply to the rest later - this thread is very laggy. :/

what about baby's right to be free? Is he less entitled to be free?
No, but it's not only the baby's freedom to life that is at stake in that case, but also the mother's. This is not the case in normal situations.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I am more interested in the moral/real side of the abortion,not the legal/political one.
That's good to know. You'll have to ask yourself then if you really want to risk killing a human being since you don't know with absolute certainty that the unborn child is human or not. The moral responsibility for taking such a risk may be too large a burden to carry.

And what does that even mean - direct abortion?Fetus dies,who cares how.
There's a big difference. In cases where the mother's life might be in danger such as during an ectopic pregnancy where the fetus develops outside the womb, and if it is determined that the fetus will not survive, the fetus can be removed without direct abortion. Direct abortion is performing an act with the purpose of causing the death of the unborn child, i.e crushing the child's skull, cutting the spinal column, administering poison, etc. It is possible to remove the fetus without performing these barbaric methods, and although the child will likely die anyway, would you not agree it is better for them to die with dignity and respect?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Is it your position that people will commit acts of murder if there's no repercussions even if they feel such acts are immoral?
Nope. It's my position that this is one of things that make it easier for good people to rationalize an immoral act....
Or it may simply be the case that women who get abortions don't view it as immoral or criminal.

Whatever the exact breakdown, the basic takeaway is that this doesn't even come close to dividing along gender lines, so it's a misrepresentation whenever someone implies that they speak for women in general on it.
Just because some men, even a majority, may be pro-choice doesn't mean advocates of criminalization aren't driven by a patriarchal bias--of which some may not be fully aware incidentally.

but I think it's undeniable, at least in the US, that the anti-abortion movement has been a religious one infused with patriarchy and a subordinate view of women.
...okay? I think it's completely deniable. No, I'll go one better: I think this is an outrageous claim. And I think it's a distraction, too, as it almost always is when someone decides to talk about the motives of their opponents, rather than their actual arguments.
Religious groups have led the modern anti-abortion movement in the US. These groups have a subordinate view of women although they'd call it something other like family or traditional values. This is not to say they don't have every right to advocate their position or that they're the only groups that want to limit a woman's role in society. It is to say that their desire to criminalize abortion can be understood as part and parcel of their patriarchal bias and campaign to forge a patriarchal society.

And just in general, I find it relatively useless when someone's arguments for something are largely based on assuming the other side has sinister motives. If you're willing to assume that pro-life people are pro-life because they want to control women, rather than all the reasons they actually give and argue for, then why engage with them at all? Obviously we can't be trusted.
If you contend that women know that abortion is immoral, murder or tantamount, but rationalize it, why dismiss the possibility that an advocate's true motives may be sublimated in order to maintain his standing or self-regard or hidden to make his position more palatable?

The abortion issue for me is simply about criminalization. My view is that it's application would not only be discriminatory to women of lesser means but that's it's driven by a patriarchal prejudice most often steeped in religiosity. With that, I bow out of this thread. I've found the abortion debate to be static and fruitless, where positions are well known and rarely, if ever, changed in any significant way.

Gallop has interesting findings on groups and their abortion views included in the following: Gallop

Thanks and adieu.

Or it may simply be the case that women who get abortions don't view it as immoral or criminal.
I think you've lost the thread of the discussion here: obviously lots of them don't view it as immoral, but you specifically asked me a question premised on the idea that it is. It's even right there in your last question: "even if they feel such acts are immoral."

Just because some men, even a majority, may be pro-choice doesn't mean advocates of criminalization aren't driven by a patriarchal bias--of which some may not be fully aware incidentally.
Correct, it doesn't mean that--which is one of several reasons I didn't say it. What I did say is that this isn't an issue that divides along gender lines, and that anyone who purports to be speaking for women on this issue is misrepresenting reality. Both are true, which makes any attempt to frame this issue in this way suspect. Which is why your response to this data is to argue that I can't prove it isn't true.

Religious groups have led the modern anti-abortion movement in the US. These groups have a subordinate view of women although they'd call it something other like family or traditional values. This is not to say they don't have every right to advocate their position or that they're the only groups that want to limit a woman's role in society. It is to say that their desire to criminalize abortion can be understood as part and parcel of their patriarchal bias and campaign to forge a patriarchal society.
Seems like your entire position is based on what could be or what's possible. It all boils down to "I believe this and you can't prove it isn't true." Which is technically accurate but pretty pointless as far as arguments go.

But the biggest red flag throughout all of this is that, because you're willing to believe pro-life women are effectively brainwashed, and that pro-life people in general are falsifying or rationalizing their reasons for being against abortion, you've made your position completely unfalsifiable.

If you contend that women know that abortion is immoral, murder or tantamount, but rationalize it, why dismiss the possibility that an advocate's true motives may be sublimated in order to maintain his standing or self-regard or hidden to make his position more palatable?
I don't dismiss the possibility; that's a straw man, defending another absolute that was never contradicted. What I dismiss is the implication that you can or should assume this about pro-life people in general. And, more importantly, I dismiss the idea that a person's motives have anything to do with the merits of their argument.

The abortion issue for me is simply about criminalization. My view is that it's application would not only be discriminatory to women of lesser means but that's it's driven by a patriarchal prejudice most often steeped in religiosity. With that, I bow out of this thread. I've found the abortion debate to be static and fruitless, where positions are well known and rarely, if ever, changed in any significant way.
That's probably because you're not treating it like a debate. If you did, you'd be engaging the arguments on the merits, rather than psychoanalyzing the opposition and assuming they're lying about their reasoning. It's not the least bit surprising that doing these things has led to fruitless discussions.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
The question I asked was rhetorical. As to all the rest, people can decide for themselves.

Thanks again.

It is to say that their desire to criminalize abortion can be understood as part and parcel of their patriarchal bias and campaign to forge a patriarchal society.
Obama is trying to force what with his HHS Mandate? Abortion was illegal before Roe and will be again when it's overturned.

My view is that it's application would not only be discriminatory to women of lesser means
Don't pro-abortion advocates discriminate against the unborn?

"Abortion and racism are both symptoms of a fundamental human error. The error is thinking that when someone stands in the way of our wants, we can justify getting that person out of our lives. Abortion and racism stem from the same poisonous root, selfishness."

~ Alveda King

"The greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion, which is war against the child. The mother doesn't learn to love, but kills to solve her own problems. Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want." ~ Mother Teresa

I happen to agree with most of those quotes, but they're completely rhetorical and don't really have anything to do with the things being argued.

I think it should be pretty clear by now that the intention of this thread (whether its participants always adhere to this or not) is to discuss abortion as an issue, which is distinct from just discussing it in general. It's not an abortion free-for-all, where everyone just flings rhetoric at each other and/or just drops in their two cents, even though so many have done exactly that. It's supposed to be about getting into why people believe what they do, and how they justify it intellectually. So let's stick to that, please.

I guess I can consider myself as pro-abortion if things could ever be classified as black or white. And my main reason comes precisely from the dichotomy expressed by Cobpyth I think: "right to life vs right to choose over your own body". Specially since the concept of life is often bound to debate, while the concept of one's own body is clear and concise.

Since through a pregnancy cycle the mass of cells that will eventually lead to a baby passes through various processes, finding the defining point where that being is considered not only alive but actually, in some way equivalent to a baby, is difficult to me and has a point of arbitrarity. The legal limit set in Spain before this, uh, ideological revision we've got lately, was 14 weeks. At this point of the development, the main organs of the body are already formed; and the fetus does have its own developed nervous system. But it takes more than five months before this body actually becomes autonomous. The body of the pregnant woman is the environment where the embryo/fetus takes its nutritional sources from and where its excretions are treated. Is that life? For some instances it is, for some others, not yet. It is physiologically connected to the body of the mother, to the point it doesn't get nutrients by itself; they are "injected". In that sense, it can be seen like a system inside the body of the mother that gets nutrients and excretes products... just like any other organ or cell system. But on the other hand, there is no doubt that this body has already enough similarities with a fully formed human, and it is able to react to things as well as having a level of physiological individuality by itself, which is also a primary definition of life.

Seeing how this definition alone is debatable, due to the specific circumstances that define the cycle of pregnancy, I admit that the moral issues are understandable, and even share some of them, but in this question I'd rather take a pragmatic view and focus on the issue that is actually -or that I find actually- more clear and easy to delimit. Which is what leads me to choosing the right of the woman to choose on her own body, in this case, to stop the influx of nutrients and efflux of excretions with an organic structure that belongs, physiologically speaking, to her body.

Since through a pregnancy cycle the mass of cells that will eventually lead to a baby passes through various processes, finding the defining point where that being is considered not only alive but actually, in some way equivalent to a baby, is difficult to me and has a point of arbitrariety.
But it takes more than five months before this body actually becomes autonomous. The body of the pregnant woman is the environment where the embryo/fetus takes its nutritional sources from and where its excretions are treated. Is that life?
It has been life since the beginning of mankind. This is how the body is formed, in the womb. You say it's difficult for you to understand or to accept, but do you really want to put a child's life at risk because of a lack of knowledge, understanding, or an inability to accept?

It doesn't do any good to ignore the life/person distinction. People should try harder to address why they think the two are synonymous or should be treated as such, and equally the other side should strive to elaborate how they came to recognize the distinction.

Simply stating something is a zygote, a fetus, a baby, a clump of cells, an unborn person, a soul, ect. as if merely using any particular term (which refers to the something that therefore may be aborted or shouldn't be aborted) makes for a compelling argument really doesn't help anyone understand anyone else's views or convince anyone that what you're referring to should be perceived differently.

Short story, if you want to just shout at the bad dumb people on the other side, by all means just rely on broad statements and labels which pander to people who already agree... but if we're ever to have meaningful mature discussion then people shouldn't be demonizing each other or re-stating their positions ad nauseam. Let people explain why they think as they do, and try to meet them half-way by explaining your own thinking.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

It seems important to some that there be a distinction between a person and a "clump of cells." Why? Why is this so important?

I have always believed that a person comes into being at the moment of conception. The opposition must also believe this in some round-about way. Why else do they support abortion? How do they find a "clump of cells" to be a threat? If in some way they anticipate that this "clump of cells" might someday become a person and they destroy these cells, is this not anticipated murder?

It seems important to some that there be a distinction between a person and a "clump of cells." Why? Why is this so important?
This is an odd question. It's important because the stakes range from innocent life on one side to personal liberty on the other (if not both). It isn't surprising or telling that people find the distinction important. Nor is the why the question, initially. Initially the question is: why is it wrong?

I have always believed that a person comes into being at the moment of conception. The opposition must also believe this in some round-about way. Why else do they support abortion? How do they find a "clump of cells" to be a threat? If in some way they anticipate that this "clump of cells" might someday become a person and they destroy these cells, is this not anticipated murder?
The leap of logic is in sentence four, where you assume that the only reason to deny something is human is because it's a "threat." That is not the only reason: someone might deny something's human because--get this--they actually don't think it's human. You may believe that all your ideological opponents secretly agree with you already, deep down, but you don't know that, and holding that position clearly leads to browbeating instead of thoughtful persuasion, so I find it to be a destructive belief either way.

Also, it should be pointed out that a pro-choice person would not find the "clump of cells" to be the threat--they would find you or me, the person seeking to grant it rights, as a threat. Because it is a threat; it's a threat to their personal autonomy. Curbing that personal autonomy may be the lesser of two evils (which is my position), but that doesn't make it less threatening.

Because for some people, there is such a distinction. Mesmer, people may honestly hold an opposing view from yours. It seems obvious why distinctions or lack thereof are important... They are the heart, the essence, of reasoned positions. Simply having a position because you've "always had it and that's just the way it is" is fine and dandy until you bump up against different positions. Then some degree of explanation is required, and analysis of how you arrived at a conclusion is to be expected.

That isn't an insult unless you're arrogant enough to believe your own thinking should automatically be beyond question. If so, you don't belong in a debate.

Otherwise, a reasonable person should welcome others to examine their thinking, since you don't change minds by only repeating a position but should also show how you arrived at a conclusion.

This is the kind of ridiculous claim-making that makes reasonable debate difficult or impossible. Instead of wasting your energy psychoanalyzing the other side (poorly) and guessing about bad intentions, why not concentrate on bolstering your own position with good argumentation? Speaking personally, I debate in good faith, and I don't assume it's impossible to have any agreement. I honestly don't see why anyone would want to continually argue an issue if they didn't think they could ever be persuasive in their reasoning.

This is the kind of ridiculous claim-making that makes reasonable debate difficult or impossible.
My questions were straightforward and simple enough for even you to understand. The fact that you didn't answer them tells us you have no defense for your pro-abortion position.

The fact that you didn't answer them tells us you have no defense for your pro-abortion position.
Fallacy #1989204720

Also, I don't think Deadite is 'pro-abortion'.