Crowds, good or bad?

Tools    

So whats better, watching a movie with a crowd or being in the theater with the crickets chirping? Do cowds enhance your movie experience or do they just annoy you? I love a crowd if I am watching an action or suspense film. The reactions of those around me add to the excitement for me. Comedies seem to be more funny when a hundred other people laugh with me at some joke or humorous scene. The only movies that tend to be the same or even better without a crowd are romantic films and "Date" films. Not that I mind a crowd at these movies, but it does not seem to add anything to it. I also like to be able to have a little privacy with my girlfriend, not to do anything naughty mind you , that comes later; but to whisper in her ear, put my arm around her, maybe sneek a kiss now and then. I know alot of people hate crowds, and actually I do in almost every aspect of my life except entertainment. Movies, sports events, concerts, to me it adds to the excitement. What say you?

I will say that I HATE going to crowded movies. If I can help it, I will go in the middle of the day on a weekday. I never go to movies on opeing day (save Matrix Revo and the LOTR movies), I always wait like a week or so.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I like to see crowds in a good movie, because I get the feeling that this good movie is going to do well at the box office.

Holy bombs make holy holes...
If I have the right seat and can see the whole screen then I do like having a crowd there, for reaction mainly.

However, being 6 ft. tall I always seem to have someone's head in my way. Some of the new theaters have not been very well made and yes, its a bit picky of me to want to see every inch of the screen unobtruded but I guess 10 dollar movie tickets do that to me.

Also, it depends on the movie whether I want a crowd there or not. For Dramas it's not so important but action movies make it more fun.
Dennis: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how'd you get that eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

-The Holy Grail

I generally enjoy a crowd, actually. I like the energy and emotion in the room. I like the fact that people started clapping and yelling when Yoda prepared to take on Dooku. I like the fact that people all over the theater were laughing with me during Scary Movie 3. I like the fact that I could practically hear dozens of people gasp simultaneously when Mel Gibson slid that knife under the pantry door.

So, assuming I'm not stuck with any teenage idiots, who think it necessary that any on-screen deaths of displays of emotion be met with laughter, I prefer a crowd. An excited one which noticably and audibly reacts to the film, especially.

Do you know my poetry?
I like crowds most of the time, like when I'm watching a comedy and everybody laughs at the jokes and makes the movie more entertaining. I dont like crowds when there are any of the following: People with Cell Phones, people with crying babies, people who talk non-stop during the movie, people who say whats gonna happen, etc. The best crowd I've ever been in was during The Matrix Reloaded, the crowd was really energetic. The worst crowd I have ever been in was during X2, they talked non-stop, it was so annoying.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I generally enjoy a crowd, actually. I like the energy and emotion in the room. I like the fact that people started clapping and yelling when Yoda prepared to take on Dooku. I like the fact that people all over the theater were laughing with me during Scary Movie 3. I like the fact that I could practically hear dozens of people gasp simultaneously when Mel Gibson slid that knife under the pantry door.

So, assuming I'm not stuck with any teenage idiots, who think it necessary that any on-screen deaths of displays of emotion be met with laughter, I prefer a crowd. An excited one which noticably and audibly reacts to the film, especially.
I'll agree to that. I'll modify what I said to I hate being at crowded movies with a bunch of stoopid high school kids who won't shut up.

Originally Posted by Psyklone
I'll agree to that. I'll modify what I said to I hate being at crowded movies with a bunch of stoopid high school kids who won't shut up.
i hate going to the cinema when there are loads of people in the same room because you always get loads of people who just shout all the time so you cant hear a word of the film, or you get a load of people that throw popcorn or sweets at people to try and distract you or you just get spit balls spat at you through straws - young people just havent seem to realise that, that is so stupid now.

i just like it when you are with a friend or your boyfriend and you watch a movie together in peace....

cazz
x

Evolution in Progress...
I guess I like crowds at certain types of movies, and of course depending on how mature the crowd is. I mean up until the previews are over I dont mind some hijinx in the crowd but when the movie starts I hate people who shout annoying things when it is really crowded. On the other hand when I have a date I like the theatre to be very uncrowded...to the point of being desolate if it can be. If you really want to know why it's because I like to do scandalous things in public when I can get away with it. If you read my posts on Walking out of Theatres you'd know I like to get it on in public. I have tried the movie theatre and girls locker room when i was in High School , and I've always wanted to try a public pool, like at a hotel.

P.S. for those of you who think that i might be that offensive person at the theatres with my date I will say right now that if other people are in the theatre me and my dates have always been mindful of them, and usually very quite so we don't get in trouble!

So anyway back to what i was saying, it's the makeup of the crow combined with the movie your seeing that makes crowds either unforgettabley mermorable or unforgettabley annoying.

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

For big summer blockbuster types, and comedies then definitely a big crowd is great because much enjoyment can be had just from the energy a crowd has. For example in The Matrix Reloaded when Neo grabs Morpheus and the Keymaker when the semis collide and then it cuts to the guy on the ship (can't think of his name) and his hands are in the air, the crowd thought this was great and they were going along with it, but when you watch it alone or with less people the effect is far less and even seems stupid and cheesy. And in comedies sometimes it isn't even the movie that is funny but the crowd's reactions. Laughter is a hugely contagious thing.

But when it comes to movies like The Hours or In The Bedroom, a crowd would add absolutely nothing because those types of movies don't elicit a big outside reaction in people. So in those cases crowds can be a big distraction.