Surprisingly Good

Tools    

A novel adaptation.
Basically, name all the films that you've seen lately, that have just come out a lot better than you thought they would.
Surprisingly good films.

I'll start it off by saying: Home Fries .
It was'nt a great film, but still infinitely better than I had predicted.

Home Fries had one of the worst marketing campaigns for a decent movie I can recall in recent years. It was sold as a typical ho-hum dumb romantic comedy. Instead it was this weird little movie that was off-center and a little dark and quite funny. It's not a great movie, but definitely enjoyable, and so widly different from the trailer and TV spots.

That one was a happy surprise, for sure. I rented it on a whim shortly after it came out on video a couple years back, fully expecting it to be as horrible as the trailer. Since I'm such a fan of Luke Wilson, I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. So happy I did.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
They're having a retrospective on French Poetic Realism here and I saw Jean Vigo's "Zero For Conduct" from 1933 and it was very entertaining and before its time. I liked it a lot. I wanted to see it because I think it's a film a filmlover "should have seen" but didn't expect it to be so "easy watched".

Fighting out of the Lions Den
I expected The Iron Giant to be just another ho-hum keep the kids quiet for 90 minutes kinda movie...which it was, and a whole lot more.
Really enjoyable, with plenty of replay value.
Nice surprise.

Get off my island
Reign of Fire- I thought it would be completely ridiculously and bad, but it turned out to be completely ridiculous and alright.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Orange County comes immediately to mind. We've all got those flicks that aren't really brilliant, but for whatever reason really strike a chord with us, and this is one of mine.

I laughed hysterically more than once and, inexplicably, felt an emotional connection with some of the characters. Ebert touched on this briefly, too, so I don't think I'm the only one who found the film more emotionally involving than you'd expect it to be.

For better or worse, there you have it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Drowning Mona.

I thought it would be a LITTLE funny if only for the cast it gathered. But there were so many quirky funny moments that it added up to being a really funny movie for me -- one I tend to stop at when I'm going around the dial and see it on.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Cruel Intentions

I really didn't want to see this movie at all but violet made me and I was very glad she did. It turned out to be fantastic. I love the ending. What made this movie a good surprise to me was the fact that it didn't borrow too heavily off 'dangerous Liasons', it sort of twisted and modernised the story. It was grand.

I also feel compelled to add Bowfinger to the list. I expected quasi-funny, and I got hilarious. One of the funniest films (if not THE funniest film), of 1999.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Bowfinger was a fantastic film. I've never heard so much laughter in the cinema before, it was great atmosphere for a great day. The team up of Martin and Murphy was just magical. I'm a big Steve Martin fan and was so pleased to see him come back up to form.

I normally don't care for musicals, but then after seeing Chicago I found out that maybe I might have a little room for them after all.

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I cant say i was a fan of bowfinger but the films i have recently seen that were better than expected were

The Recruit:
Loved this film, it kept me on my seat most of the way through and damit the chick is pretty fin too!!!

Bullitproof Monk:
I like chow yun fat but some of his movies have been flops. this one was funny

LOTR Two towers:
Now there is a good movie. Peter Jackson is a legend and like me a kiwi. i just can't wait untill Return of The King comes out. Its going to absolutly rock

Go the hobbits!!!!

Tomcats...........

I thought........hmmmm.....teenage dorky flick.......but it was sooooooooo funny........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Noticed a couple on regular cable tonight...

Most people I know dislike Lost in Space, but it's one of my favorites of the modern sci-fi's. Another one panned by most that I actually like is Waterworld. I mean, it's not spectacular, but it's not terrible either. I just wish that Costner didn't make his bad guys in Waterworld and The Postman so corny. If these two movies could have treated their characters more realistically, then I think they would have been better overall. I still think they're entertaining anyway.

BTW: Much to the chagrin of many a MoFo, I usually pay to see every Costner movie, panned or not, because I'm a loyal fan. Sorry, I think Costner is an awsome actor, just got a little carried away. Gibson seemed to have learned from him, by not trying to follow up with something bigger than Braveheart.

Swimfan...or maybe i was just in a good mood that night

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Most people I know dislike Lost in Space, but it's one of my favorites of the modern sci-fi's.
Big ditto on that one. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Originally posted by n7of9
Swimfan...or maybe i was just in a good mood that night
I will have to agree with you there...i notice a lot movies that don't really make it mainstream are usually good.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Originally posted by moviefan20
I will have to agree with you there...i notice a lot movies that don't really make it mainstream are usually good.
Oh, Swimfan was definitely mainstream. It just didn't do very well, is all. Still, with such a modest budget, it certainly did well for itself in the end.

People told me Starship Troopers was average, but it turned out to be one of the greatest movies ever made (IMHO).