Simpsons

Tools    

Ok...I'm dying to know what everyone thinks of the Simpsons set. It's not as elaborate as what I proposed, but it is still good. The easter eggs are excellent too. Plus, the 2nd and 3rd sets are already done and look fabulous. So, what do y'all think?

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Lol, I didn't even know they were out.

While I would have liked more supplements of course, I think the first season set is fantastic!

The commentaries are wonderful, but I'd love to hear some of the actors voice their opinions and anecdotes too. Missed a real opprtunity to have Albert Brooks in the recording room with everyone for the "Call of the Simpsons" and especially the "Life on the Fast Lane" episodes. My favorite extra for the first set may be the audio outtakes of Brooks riffing as Jacques - great stuff! But then, I'm an enormous Albert Brooks fan.

For upcoming seasons I'd love to hear Castellaneta, Kavner, Nancy, Yeardly, Shearer, Azaria, etc. on some of the tracks. And to get some of the guest stars, for example like Dustin Hoffman to talk about the experience of becoming Mr. Bergstrom, would make a great thing even better.

How about a tribute to Phil Hartman at some point, with on-camera interviews of the cast and crew? Maybe discuss the genesis and continual rebirt of Sideshow Bob with Kelsey Grammer. Actaully all the main characters and actors should get this kind of treatment. That kind of retrospective material would sure be welcome in future sets.

For this first set, it's a damn shame the rights couldn't be cleared for all (or even a decent number) of the shorts from "The Tracy Ullman Show". Oh, well.

Overall I love the set and am quite happy to have it - and like most, I'm not even that big a fan of the first season, except in seeing how "The Simpsons" grew (which the excellent commentaries help illuminate even further). But I'm extremely excited about future seasons.

I hope the other studios take notes and begin releasing other great shows with the same deluxe care. If HBO would finally get around to "The Larry Sanders Show" or Universal "The Rockford Files", well...it would give me another good reason to live, dig?

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-29-2001]

Oh, and Laurie - in coming weeks when you get some hard data on sales figures for "The Simpsons" first season set, will you pass it along here? I'm curious how it does, and hope it makes a big enough splash financially to encourage other studios and shows to take similar approaches with the DVD format.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
My copy is on damn backorder. AHHHHHHH I have to wait for it. Bastards!!!! Sorry, just get a little mad when something is on backorder.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I would've liked to have seen more of the shorts, but other than that, it's a great disc. And the price was certainly right for all that we got. K-Mart has it for $24.99, I hear (I paid $29.99 at Best Buy, but that's still good for what I got).

The transfers are excellent. The sound is good. The commentaries are good. The rest of the extras are pretty sweet. All-in-all, I'm very happy with it. I just wish they'd hurry and get Season Two out (and Buffy: Season One).

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by ryanpaige
I just wish they'd hurry and get Season Two out (and Buffy: Season One).
January 15th my friend, keep waiting.

I've learned never to trust release dates when it comes to Buffy discs. They had a solid enough release date to start taking preorders earlier this year and then they canceled at the last minute.

I'll believe Buffy is coming out when I have a copy in my hands.