Why do we watch violent movies?

Tools    

As far as training. Videogames condition far less on the disconnection need to kill than the army does. I play violent games and I've shot guns before. There is a great difference between pushing a button and actually pulling the trigger.
Yes, there is a difference in pushing a button and actually pulling a trigger. But I've played a lot of video games that involved pulling triggers just like on real firearms or combat aircraft. There is definitely a great difference in the outcome of pulling a trigger on a video game and pulling a trigger in real life if you look at the consequences of one's actions. But that's not the point--what I'm saying is that video games can condition one's reflexes the same way that military training can do, which is why the military now uses what are really sophisticated video games as a training tool. It becomes a learned muscular reaction that one can repeat without concious thought, just like a dancer moving automatically to the music.

Let me give you one example--both the Air Force and civilian airlines use flight simulators to help train their pilots. If you've ever seen or operated a flight simulator, you know it seems to bank and dive and climb just like a real aircraft (If you ever took the Star Tours ride at the Disney World Studio or the "trip" through the human body at Epcot Center in Florida, that was an aircraft simulator you were on).
Such simulators are more often used by pilots to experiment with manuevers and develop reactions to keep from dropping like a rock if an aircraft suddenly loses its electronic and hydralic systems. There's one well-known example where one airline pilot experimented in a simulator to find out how to manuever his aircraft if it suddenly lost its rudder and elevators, the parts of the tail that help manuever the aircraft. He found he could keep the aircraft flying by adjusting the thrusts of its jet engines. Later he was piloting an aircraft that suffered exactly that mishap, but used the knowledge and reflexes developed in that simulator to land the airliner with no loss of life, whereas a similar mishap on another airline where the pilot had not had the same training caused the plane to roll over and make a steep dive into the ground, killing everybody aboard.

On a much smaller level, there was a combat aviation computer game that I used to play for hours that sometimes put me up against enemy aces who always shot me down. So I started trying different things to get the jump on them before they got to me, and I developed a manuever that put me in a position to put a burst into them while making my "aircraft" a tougher target to hit. Then one day while vacationing in Florida, I came upon a military museum with a game concession where for a price, people could get into one of several simulators for a battle against enemy aircraft. There were maybe a half dozen of us guys who paid the fee to get as close to real combat flying as any of us would ever get. And it was very realistic--you could hear the "engine," feel every movment of the "aircraft," see the jungle and ocean below and the distant dots of an enemy formation, and when they came at you, you'd see the twinkle of their gunfire and feel the hits on your fuselage. Not knowing anything about real air combat, I automatically applied the very unmilitary manuever that I had learned from my computer games. As a result, according to the museum supervisor running and watching the computerized simulations, I nailed 5 enemy aircraft in that short "flight," becoming an instant "ace," while none of the other guys even got a "hit" and most were "shot down." The guy running the simulation was impressed that I did so well my first time in a simulator.

True, that's a long, long way from real combat, but I had honed a certain skill on a computer game, just as the airline pilot developed his skill in a simulator. Placed in simular situations, he and I both relied on reflexes developed in a game.

Does anybody in this thread despise violence as well as in movies? I despise violence, but not in movies, for I do not care if a movie has or doesn't have violence in it.
I've seen a lot of dead bodies in my time--people crushed in wrecks or flattened on the roadway by cars, pieces on the track of a person hit by a train, blood and brain-matter from a shooting victim, a body cut open from groin to chin by a machete, any number of shootings and stabbings, deaths by fire and smoke inhalation, kids poisoned by their nutty mom, dead bodies of other children scattered on the lawn after they were pulled from a burning building, teens who hanged themselves. I've witnessed autopsies, smelled burnt flesh, stepped in pools of blood.

And I don't want to see any of that again, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay to see a movie that so casually simulates such misery.

I love drama, but it seems today too many producers and viewers equate drama to car chases, shootings, and other forms of violence. Plus it's something the movie industry can offer audiences that can't be seen during family hours on the major TV networks.