New live-action Popeye the Sailor Man film

Tools    

Popeye is coasting back to the big screen.

The iconic sailor man and spinach chugger, who first appeared in comic strips in the late 1920s, will be the subject of a new live-action feature film from Chernin Entertainment and King Features.

The project is currently in development as a big-budget feature, and has attached screenwriter Michael Caleo (“Sexy Beast,” “The Family,” “The Sopranos”).This is the first live-action revisiting of the character since the 1980 film “Popeye,” led by Robin Willians. Directed by Robert Altman and co-starring Shelley Duvall as the sailor’s quirky love interest Olive Oyl, the film was panned upon release but has since gained cult status and critical reconsideration. It was also profitable, released by Paramount Pictures at a $20 million budget before grossing roughly $60 million worldwide.

Popeye celebrated his 95th anniversary this year, after appearing in the 1929 comic “Thimble Theater.” The character spawned both animated features and series in his heyday, and could be one of the earliest templates for mass merchandising across multiple generations. Two years ago, Popeye was named a key inspiration for menswear collections from Moschino, Supreme and A Bathing Ape. Popeye is still the face of McCall Farms spinach — in the cartoons, the vegetable offers the sailor superpowers to defeat his enemies — which carries the Popeye logo and face on canned goods.

Some devout fans (which Popeye still has) crafted a series of self-made movie trailers this year, all fictional, which have racked up millions of views combined. These trailers imagine the character as a castaway warrior with Dwayne Johnson proportions, which may well be the direction this is headed creatively. Producers are in the process of attaching a studio partner.

My casting choices:

Popeye: Tom Hardy or Pedro Pascal
Poopdeck Pappy (Popeye's Dad): Brian Cox
Olive Oyl: Gwendoline Christie or Elizabeth Debicki
Bluto: Dave Bautista
Wimpy: Paul Walter Hauser

They're really running out of movie ideas, aren't they.
The versions of The Wizard of Oz (1939) and The Maltese Falcon (1941) that most people are familiar with are remakes of earlier films.

So, Hollywood has been "really running out of movie ideas" for close to 100 years, and they're still going at it.

The versions of The Wizard of Oz (1939) and The Maltese Falcon (1941) that most people are familiar with are remakes of earlier films.

So, Hollywood has been "really running out of movie ideas" for close to 100 years, and they're still going at it.
Today in Hollywood there's a disproportionately number of remakes, rehashes and franchised movies. At any rate the last Popeye movie bombed so it seems pretty stupid to me to attempt another one. How many movie goers today even have a connection to the Popeye character, not many. I predict this movie will flop, unless it's made on the cheap and so can still turn a buck.

Today in Hollywood there's a disproportionately number of remakes, rehashes and franchised movies.
The success rate for remake, reboots and franchise movies seems to be fairly good, all things considered, which is exactly why we keep getting more of them.

As for the new Popeye? Well, nobody would have bet big on Barbie, a toy that few kids even played with any more, but here we are.

The success rate for remake, reboots and franchise movies seems to be fairly good, all things considered, which is exactly why we keep getting more of them.
Good point.

As for the new Popeye? Well, nobody would have bet big on Barbie, a toy that few kids even played with any more, but here we are.
Maybe hindsight is 20/20 but if I was an executive producer and someone pitched a Popeye and a Barbie film, I'd go with Barbie.

BTW I like your movie news threads! Please don't think that my opinion on the upcoming Popeye movie is related to this thread, it's not. I like your threads because you bring us breaking movie news and give us a chance to discuss it

My hope is that they do a fun, lighthearted family friendly movie and they don't try and make it dark and edgy or overly serious.

What's so darn strange about this is I can't believe there are a hundred kids today who know who or what Popeye is. I just looked it up and see there is a Nintendo Switch game that uses the character, but there is no way they have seen the original cartoons or comic books. When I was a kid in the 1970s the original cartoons from the 1930s were still on in heavy rotation on syndicated television and there was an updated cartoon series from the 1960s. Robert Altman is still like the strangest choice ever to adapt it into a live-action feature film and a Musical, but at least the character was still somewhat in the zeitgeist at that point. But forty-four years past the Altman film and approaching the centennial of the introduction....no way. Mickey Mouse he ain't.

The right creative team could make just about any concept or property work, but the odds are so wildly against this I can't believe anybody with the talent it will take actually gives a crap.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

They'll go the Blood & Honey route and make Popeye a stone cold killer.

Today in Hollywood there's a disproportionately number of remakes, rehashes and franchised movies. At any rate the last Popeye movie bombed so it seems pretty stupid to me to attempt another one. How many movie goers today even have a connection to the Popeye character, not many. I predict this movie will flop, unless it's made on the cheap and so can still turn a buck.
The last one came out in 1980 and it's a different audience today so who knows how this one will perform.

They'll go the Blood & Honey route and make Popeye a stone cold killer.
I'd watch the hell out of that.

At any rate the last Popeye movie bombed so it seems pretty stupid to me to attempt another one.

Altman's Popeye was actually not a bomb. The budget was about $20-million, which was huge in 1980 (The Empire Strikes Back's budget was $30-million). But it more than doubled its money at the U.S. box office, nearly $50-million. That made it the eleventh-highest grossing flick of 1980, just behind Ordinary People and The Blues Brothers and ahead of The Shining and Caddyshack.

It was not a monster success the way Empire was ($200-million) nor 9 to 5 and Stir Crazy, which both cleared $100-million. But to call it a bomb is just plain incorrect. Any film that doubles its investment is a hit.

It certainly got mixed reviews, but it did have its supporters, including prominent critics like Siskel & Ebert and Rex Reed.

The huge budget went mostly to the pretty amazing set built on Malta. It still survives today as a tourist destination.

Obviously P.T. Anderson is a massive fan.

In adjusted box office terms it was Altman's second-biggest hit, behind only MASH.