The Man Who Invented Christmas

Tools    

I feel both excited and super apprehensive about this novel take on A Christmas Carol and the "story behind it". I admit to being a full on DIckens fanboy (specifically all things A Christmas Carol) so anything like this is going to get me a little excited. Especially because what they show here looks entertaining and clever and well made. But Im going to expect it to suck like most retellings of this tale so that it will actually turn out to be not as disappointing if it does...

Anybody heard anything more about it at all?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Wasn't there a book by this title? I thought it was just a biography, to be honest (if it is what I am thinking of). I didn't know it was about the creation of A Christmas Carol. I've not read it yet.

This does look pretty decent, though. It looks like my sort of film. I'd go see it. But I honestly haven't heard anything about the film until I saw this trailer just now.

It's not a retelling or a take on A Christmas Carol it's the true story of it's creation in 6 weeks and how it shaped the Christmas traditions we celebrate today

Saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it, its definitely entertaining but it has its flaws. In the end its a movie about a guy writing a book. But to make it more captivating they try to add a kind of thriller element to it (gotta write this book in a specific period of time and get everything together to avoid disaster!) and that came off as a little silly. But then you cant just make a movie about a guy writing a book and not have it be a snooze fest. So they had to do something. Loved the concept of witnessing the characters come to life along with Dickens. But I felt like the Scrooge character, as perfect as Christopher Plumber was in that role, had to sacrifice his own redemption some so that Dickens could achieve his. Which made the ending problematic for me. It seemed forced and more psychoanalytic then redemptive. Knowing the redemptive process Scrooge goes through in A Christmas Carol, the one Dickens goes through in this film seems a lot less life changing. And everything comes together too well and too easily in the end. Nothing "comes together" in the end in A Christmas Carol. Its about a man reborn. Not a man whose worked through some childhood issues and is relieved that the book worked out making everything better.

Definitely worth watching though if you are any kind of fan of A Christmas Carol. And theres definitely some good heart string moments and some humor. I have found from talking to people that those people who like A Christmas Carol (like me) enjoyed the movie because it basically gives you a fresh take on the book and of course a very interesting perspective into the creation and into the mind of the writer himself. Those who are huge Dickens wonks found it lacking and a little insulting (Dickens got all his lines from random people he ran into??) and people who dont really care about Dickens found it boring (the movie about writing a book thing).

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just rewatched this. I actually really like it and never thought for a moment that the writers were trying to create a, well, documentary about the writing of A Christmas Carol. It's a fun, entertaining reimagining of Dickens's creation of this book. The acting is great. The humor is sincere. The writing is fun.

I've watched it every Christmastime the past three years, and I continue to enjoy it. I don't really wish to overanalyze it to death, although I understand your points.

Plus, I'm a writer and I really want his writing desk!