The 2014 NFL Playoffs Thread

Tools    

Just read that Phil Jackson said in '86 that his 70s Knicks team deflated the basketball:

"Less air pressure slowed down fast-break teams, helped the Knicks clear the boards -- since the ball wouldn't carom as far off the rim -- and didn't hinder the flow of New York's offense, which relied more on passing than dribbling.

"Jackson, who is now president of the Knicks, said the team carried around inflation needles to let air out of the ball."
I'm ready to jump on the band wagon of this explains the Bull's success and he left that out of his statement if you are.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I may actually miss the game this year which would be a first. I have no rooting interest and don't like anyone on either team.

NFL with no proof of pregame psi-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iots-football/

This is good news for the Patriots, as besides the NFL not having proof of the pregame psi, it lends creedence to the theory that the footballs were not checked with a gauge, but rather just given a feel test.

Joe Montana-

"If you want to see the game played with the best, everybody has a different grip, everybody likes a different feel," Montana said. "You know where it all began? The kickers. Where this rule came from were the kickers. The kickers many years ago did so much to the ball that it looked so differently that (the league) decided we're going to take (the kicking balls) right out of the box.
"Now if you look at the ball, they let you doctor the ball more than anything. The ball's not even the same color as it is when it comes out of the box, so what's the difference in the air pressure?"

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
I am just hoping for a great Super Bowl as I have said before and tried to stay away from too much analysis on Deflate Gate. I also happen to be something of a science geek so when I read the following article in this morning's New York Times, I thought I'd post it for what it's worth; I like the following quote from the story - “The fact that the word ‘physics’ appears in the sports pages is something that I wouldn’t have expected,” said Rocky Kolb, dean of physical sciences at the University of Chicago, “so that makes me happy.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sp...yt-region&_r=0

I heard about that report this morning. It is now starting to look that it's not only possible, but probable, that the balls deflated due to weather conditions.

What about the Colt's balls? Maybe the NFL is investigating the wrong team? Now, I'm just saying that for the heck of it because I have never believed that any of this would make a difference in a game. But, maybe Andrew Luck is like Aaron Rodgers, and likes his ball overinflated? Maybe the Colts did everything possible during the first half to keep their balls warm and dry, like many teams do. They are a dome team after all. And how much time elapsed between weighing the Patriots balls and Colt's balls at halftime? The psi does start to go back to normal when put back into it's normal atmosphere. I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but it's starting to look more likely that the Patriots have done nothing wrong.

One more point about Warren Sharp's analysis. His theory was that the Pats became nearly fumble proof from 2007 on, due to the use of deflated footballs. When throwing the ball, the ball travels through the air better with more psi. Now, as I've said, I don't think the psi makes a difference either way on the field. But, if he believes that the psi makes such a huge difference in fumbling, wouldn't it theoretically make a significant difference in the passing game? In 2007, Tom Brady had one of the greatest seasons for a QB in NFL history, at the time breaking Dan Marino's touchdow pass record. Sharp's theory suggests that Brady had this breakthrough season using a deflated football. That would seem to be far from logical.

Looking forward to a great game today.

The Game

It's no secret what the blueprint is to slow down the Seattle Seahawk's offense. Slow down their running game and put Russell Wilson into obvious passing situations. This has long been the defensive gameplan against many NFL teams, but it is especially true with Seattle's punishing ground game, Wilson's strengths and weaknesses throwing the ball, and the Pat's strength in the secondary. Their last game against Green Bay was very telling when down in the fourth quarter, they continued to run the ball. This is unusual in the current NFL. There has been some talk in New England of the Patriot's past success against Marshawn Lynch, but I don't know if that would mean anything now. That was when he played for an inferior team with an inferior offensive line.*

It is very difficult to predict the Patriot's offensive gameplan. You can't even predict from game to game who they will start in the backfield. Against stellar defenses such as Baltimore's and Detroit's, they spread it out and strongly featured the pass. The difference is that those teams have dominating defensive lines, but can be taken advantage of in the secondary. You neutralize a top defensive line by getting the ball out of there quickly. Seattle is a great all around defense, but their strength is in the secondary. Their defense is fast and athletic, and they are good enough to keep the Pats in check no matter how they attack. Some believe that to take away defensive speed, the offense should use misdirection, screens, play action, etc. You still need to mix that in, but those types of plays are more to exploit a lack of discipline. If Seattle plays disciplined defense, those plays allow Seattle to take full advantage of their speed in pursuit of the ball. You need to attack a fast defense; go right at them, put them on their heels, and neutralize that speed.

The Coaches

I remember Pete Carroll during his time coaching New England. He was in an almost impossible situation following Bill Parcells, and he was probably not quite ready for the NFL, in over his head. He had trouble gaining the respect of the players and the fans. He seemed to grow substantially in the following years at USC. During his years there, I watched a TV special about how he works with inner-city teens, and I gained great respect for the man. He seems to have found a home in Seattle, and he would appear to be a great coach for that team. His great enthusiasm was made for those young, aggressive players. I am happy for his success.

Bill Belichick gets a bad rap across the country. Part of it is his doing for his public demeanor, but nobody could argue his success. He is precise, calculated, and focuses solely on the task at hand. During the offseason, he will sometimes give more relaxed interviews, allowing his personality to show through. If he does this more in the future, people will start to look at him in a different light. The players believe in him, and will do anything for him. You never hear an ex-player of his speaking a negative word about him. That means something.

Seattle's keys to victory

Start strong!

If Seattle starts the way they did against the Packers, this game will be over by halftime. The Pack played scared; the Patriots will not, and if they get the chance, they will go for blood.

Pressure Brady

It doesn't matter how good your secondary is; if you give a quality NFL quarterback time to throw, he will pick you apart.

Mix it up

There is something to be said about imposing your will on the other team. Teams like to do what they do best, and make the other team stop them. But if Seattle struggles at all, they shouldn't be afraid to try some different things, a hurry up spread offense just for an example. Using an offense like this doesn't mean you have to change up your play selection; it's just about giving the defense a different look.

New England's keys to victory

Protect the ball!

This is true for any team in any game, but it's especially true against the Seahawks. They really know how to attack that ball, and the whole team feeds off it.

Keep Wilson in check

No, not Russell Wilson, that goes without saying. I'm talking about the tight end, Luke Wilson. The Pat's defense has been vulnerable covering that position this year, and Wilson is a *good one. The Seattle QB trusts him in big situations, and the guy often delivers. The Pat's could play great defense on 1st and 2nd down, but if Wilson starts beating them consistently on 3rd down, the Pat's will have to alter their gameplan.

Jamie Collins

Collins is a future star for the Patriot's at linebacker. He is athletic, intelligent, and can make plays all over the field. Becoming that star in this game would go a long way toward a Patriot victory.*

Intangibles

Motivation and emotion play an enormous role in football. True, in the Super Bowl, both teams should have plenty of this, but it doesn't always seem to play out that way. Seattle won last year, but they've still struggled a little bit in these playoffs. They have been talking a little trash, and it appears that they may be a little overconfident. They're a young team that should be a contender for years to come, and they know this. The Patriots don't have the same window of opportunity. Tom Brady doesn't have as many great years left, and because of this, I think they are the more desperate team. I think that deflate gate was the best thing to happen to the Patriots. When a team goes through something like this, they tend to come together even stronger. In the last 10 to 15 years, the Patriots have played some of their best football when things seemed to be against them. The whole world seems to be against them now, and it would seem that they have a lot to prove.

In conclusion

Two weeks ago, I couldn't make up my mind as to who I thought would win this game. Due to the events of the last 2 weeks, I now look for the Patriots to come out on top in this Super Bowl. I have nothing but respect for this Seahawk's team, but I believe Tom Brady wakes up in the morning with an unprecedented 4 Super Bowl victories in 6 appearances.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
But, if he believes that the psi makes such a huge difference in fumbling, wouldn't it theoretically make a significant difference in the passing game? In 2007, Tom Brady had one of the greatest seasons for a QB in NFL history, at the time breaking Dan Marino's touchdow pass record. Sharp's theory suggests that Brady had this breakthrough season using a deflated football. That would seem to be far from logical.
Maybe a slightly deflated ball increases accuracy or benefits a passer in other ways, We don't know until the subject is studied in depth. And whether the Pats win or not, they'll always be the Pats with an asterisk, a cloud of suspicion over their success. I'd feel badly about that if I thought Belichick and crew were actually clean.

They won't actually have an asterisk; it will just be in some people's minds, but you can do that with a whole lot of Super Bowl winners.

Supposedly, it was proven by the ESPN scientist that an NFL pass arrives to the WR slower when the ball is deflated, but it is so minute that it hardly makes a difference. Personally, I don't feel that throwing a ball that has a weight difference less than that of a dollar bill would make any difference.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
They won't actually have an asterisk; it will just be in some people's minds, but you can do that with a whole lot of Super Bowl winners.

Supposedly, it was proven by the ESPN scientist that an NFL pass arrives to the WR slower when the ball is deflated, but it is so minute that it hardly makes a difference. Personally, I don't feel that throwing a ball that has a weight difference less than that of a dollar bill would make any difference.
Of course they won't have an actual asterisk, but it doesn't matter: They're a tainted team for many--probably most. And again, we don't know enough on the subject or the true state of the Pats' footballs through the years to draw any conclusions at the moment, and we may never know the real story.

Those people should do their research then, so that they could understand how many team's have "tainted" success. Those who single out the Patriots are simply ignorant.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Those people should do their research then, so that they could understand how many team's have "tainted" success. Those who single out the Patriots are simply ignorant.
I'll take that as a concession that the Pats don't play fairly.

No, based on what I've seen, the Patriote play more fair, or at least as fair, as any team in the league. The problem is that they're a high profile team that has had incredible success. With that comes hate and jealousy.

Great write up cricket. I won't even ding you for taking a pot shot at my hapless Bills. Talk about a drive by.

I can't remember a Super Bowl that I thought was more of a toss up. That has made pretty excited about it. Its funny how the events of the last two weeks are looked at as a disadvantage for the Patriots to everyone but Patriot's fans. I personally don't think it will make a lick of difference. Players don't need motivation to get pumped up for a Super Bowl. It should be plain to anyone that has ever watched one that nerves run high the first couple possesions and then the game settles down as that becomes the only concentration. There really hasn't been an exception to this that I can think of.

Go Seahawks! Not because of any loyalty but because Go Patriots will never be words uttered by this Bills fan.

The point is, why would anyone single out the Patriots, whether deflate gate is valid or not, but ignore the Seahawk's recent problems with player steroid suspensions, which is a much larger issue. It seems that a lot of people look at these things very one sided.

The point is, why would anyone single out the Patriots, whether deflate gate is valid or not, but ignore the Seahawk's recent problems with player steroid suspensions, which is a much larger issue. It seems that a lot of people look at these things very one sided.
Because of suspensions.

You're right Sean, but even when the Bills are bad, they play tough and I respect them for that.

As far as motivation goes, there will be different opinions, and I can see the argument for both sides.