Films to Be Buried With

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Boxing Helena is pretty shit.
I watched it and it's amazing. It's like The Room of erotic thrillers - cheesy in the best kind of way. A singular achievement! That sex scene set to Enigma - Sadeness. OMG. Very disappointing that she doesn't get put in a box, though.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

This week's guest on the podcast was actress and stand-up Chelsea Peretti ("Brooklyn Nine-Nine"). Here were her answers...

FIRST FILM YOU REMEMBER:
Cocoon (1985) – made a huge impression. Also Big and Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure.

FILM THAT SCARED YOU THE MOST:
Barbarian (2022)

WHAT FILM MADE YOU CRY THE MOST:
E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial and The NeverEnding Story as a child, as well as Short Circuit 2. Bent (1997) as an adult (as well as The Notebook).

FILM THAT IS UNDERRATED/HATED BUT YOU LOVE:
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013). Also Vacation (2015).

FILM THAT YOU USED TO LOVE, NOW YOU DON’T THINK IT HOLDS UP:
Before Sunrise. Also Bottle Rocket and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

MEMORABLE FILM EXPERIENCE:
Kids (1995) – snuck in to see it as a teenager. The Perfect Guy with a large group of comedian friends. Also, Top Secret! at a slumber party.

FILM YOU MOST RELATE TO:
L.A. Story – the Sarah Jessica Parker character – and Being John Malkovich – the Catherine Keener character – and Bridesmaids for the overall funny female cast – and Me and You and Everyone We Know – for the overall tone. Most recently, Beau is Afraid.

SEXIEST FILM:
Out of Sight – Jennifer Lopez & George Clooney

TROUBLING BONER/WORRING WIDE-ON:
A History of Violence – sex scene on the stairs

OBJECTIVELY THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

FILM THAT YOU COULD OR HAVE WATCHED THE MOST:
Groundhog Day

WORST FILM YOU HAVE EVER SEEN:
Synechdoche, New York – too confusing and depressing.

FILM THAT MADE YOU LAUGH THE MOST:
Bridesmaids and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

WHAT FILM CHANGED YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON SOMETHING:
Documentaries Born Rich (2003), Honeyland (2019), Hell on Earth: The Fall of Syria and the Rise of ISIS (2013), and Lost for Life (2013).

GREATEST OPENING:
White Noise and Birdman

GREATEST ENDING: no answer

YOUR FAVORITE FILM:
In the Mood for Love – most beautiful. Also Rushmore and Hanna (2011) and Waiting for Guffman

WHAT ONE FILM WOULD YOU TAKE WITH YOU:
The 400 Blows

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What is the first film you remember seeing?

Sleeping Beauty. The Disney version of 1959.

What film scared you the most?

I'm not easily scared by films. But it might be something like Jagten. Basically, films that show you can be a good human being while still getting punished viciously by fate.

What film made you cry the most?

I don't often cry. But I always choke up while watching Casablanca for some reason. Another one I remember making me cry a lot was Grave of the Fireflies.

What is a film that is critically and popularly hated, but you love?

First one that comes to mind is Escape From Tomorrow. But it's mostly simply not talked about anymore since it came out.

What is a respected award-wining or widely beloved film that you hate?

I'm not the hateful type. Especially when it comes to films. But recently, I really couldn't stand parts of Barbie.

What is a film that you used to love, but you’ve seen it again recently and it no longer holds up? Either simply not as good as your memory or elements that have dated badly.

Honestly can't think of a film that checks this box. First of all, I don't regularly rewatch films. It's a rather rare occasion for me (maybe because I'm afraid some movies won't hold up?). And if I do, it's mostly because I think a film might be better than I previously thought, which is often the case.

What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily due to the quality of the film, but the memory or the circumstances around seeing it?

Casablanca. It's the film that made me a cinephile.

What is the film you found the sexiest?

Lots of sexy films out there. I’ll keep it clean and go with The Graduate. I love both Anne Bancroft and Katharine Ross.

What is a film you found arousing maybe you shouldn't have?

Does Midsommar count? It's the most recent one I can think of. But there are certainly others.

What movie do you most relate to? The character, world, or atmosphere seem to be most like you?

Probably Five Easy Pieces.

What film could you or have you seen the most times?

Probably a Disney film or something like The Sound of Music.

What film do you objectively think is the greatest – not necessarily your personal favorite?

There are so many. Maybe Apocalypse Now? Or Once Upon a Time in the West? Or Citizen Kane? Plenty to choose from, but probably one of those three.

What is the worst film you have ever seen?

I always thought Mamma Mia was awful. And this is coming from someone who loves ABBA!

What is the funniest film you have ever seen?

Some Like It Hot!

What is a film that changed your perspective on something?

I remember Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors doing that for me a good ten years ago. It made me see things from a rather nihilistic perspective. The fact that our universe is fundamentally immoral will always remain lingering in my mind, with that film's story as a very strong example of it.

What is the best opening sequence to a film?

Woody Allen's Manhattan!

What is the best ending sequence to a film?

There are many greats. But forget it, it's Chinatown.

What is your favorite film?

Casablanca. Even though The Master has become a close second over the years.

What one film would you take with you to heaven to screen for everybody when it's your turn to host movie night?

If it's allowed in heaven: Ken Russell's The Devils!

What is a film that is critically and popularly hated, but you love?

First one that comes to mind is Escape From Tomorrow. But it's mostly simply not talked about anymore since it came out.
Definitely more remembered as a footnote for the high concept and stolen, unapproved footage. Not sure how many people even watched it, but certainly memorable for all who have. Good pick.

I watched it and it's amazing. It's like The Room of erotic thrillers - cheesy in the best kind of way. A singular achievement! That sex scene set to Enigma - Sadeness. OMG. Very disappointing that she doesn't get put in a box, though.

At least someone finally likes it.

Every movie needs to be loved by somebody.

A few episodes ago the guest was writer/director/producer Ed Zwick (Glory, “thirtysomething”, Legends of the Fall, Courage Under Fire, The Last Samurai). Of course you get some different answers from somebody born in the 1950s and who has been working in the industry since the 1980s.

FIRST FILM YOU REMEMBER:
The Buccaneer (1958) – Yul Brenner and Charlton Heston.

FILM THAT SCARED YOU THE MOST:
The Wizard of Oz – on television at the age of five, especially the flying monkeys.

WHAT FILM MADE YOU CRY THE MOST:
Old Yeller (1957). Finds crying at movies cathartic and important.

FILM THAT IS UNDERRATED/HATED BUT YOU LOVE:
Miss Congeniality (2000) – finds snobby filmmakers in his circle discount it, but he finds it joyous.

FILM THAT YOU USED TO LOVE, NOW YOU DON’T THINK IT HOLDS UP:
The Searchers (1956) – full of some very corny moments. And King of Hearts (1966) – showed it to his kids and they found it simplistic.

MEMORABLE FILM EXPERIENCE:
Romeo & Juliet (1967, Franco Zeffirelli) – viewed on a date with his sixteen-year-old girlfriend, went back to her house afterward and he lost his virginity after the romantic movie.

FILM YOU MOST RELATE TO:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – memory, sadness, loss, beautifully captures the process of the mind.

SEXIEST FILM:
Queen Margot – adores Isabelle Adjani.

TROUBLING BONER/WORRING WIDE-ON:
The Parent Trap – remembers being attracted to Maureen O’Hara in her tight sweaters, who was his mother’s age at the time.

OBJECTIVELY THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME:
The Seven Samurai – most beautiful example of storytelling – exposition, characterization, economy of action – all perfection.

FILM THAT YOU COULD OR HAVE WATCHED THE MOST:
The Godfather and The Godfather Part II – for their mythic and familial qualities.

WORST FILM YOU HAVE EVER SEEN:
Perfect (1985) – dumb about journalism, badly directed, embarrassingly trying to reflect a culture that didn’t really even exist.

FILM THAT MADE YOU LAUGH THE MOST:
A Fish Called Wanda – especially the deaths of the dogs. Also Bowfinger – especially the scene of the Eddie Murphy character trying to cross the freeway.

WHAT FILM CHANGED YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON SOMETHING:
The Killing Fields (1984) – opened his eyes to a protagonist that wasn’t familiar, widening his perspective on the world.

GREATEST OPENING:
Touch of Evil (1958) – for the continuous opening shot, which besides being magnificently staged, the tale goes put Welles three days ahead of schedule. Plus, the opening reel of Saving Private Ryan.

GREATEST ENDING:
It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

YOUR FAVORITE FILM:
Annie Hall (1977) – continues to influence him in its innovation, performances, and depiction of relationships.

WHAT ONE FILM WOULD YOU TAKE WITH YOU:
We All Loved Each Other So Very Much (1974, Ettore Scola)