October 19th...From Hell

→ in
Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Just in time for Halloween,a movie about Jack the Ripper.Just saw the trailer...stars Johnny Depp(detective)and Heather Grahm(probably love intrest/victim)looks like Sleepy Hollow;bound to be creepy and weird...I'll probably go see it.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
yeah I saw the trailer a while back. Looks to be one of those creepy movies that twists at the end. Depp has always been known for going towards dark movies(Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, From Hell). It looks to be a somewhat of a good'n though.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Hows Johnny Depps accent? I havent seen the trailer yet. His accent was awful in Sleephy hollow. Is Ian holm Jack the ripper? I heard they wanted Anthony hopkins originally to play jack.

From Hell is adapted from Alan Moore's graphic novel and directed by the Hughes Brothers (Menace II Society, Dead Presidents).

It got mixed reviews when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival a couple weeks ago.

sades would have to tell you on that. It's been a little while since I've seen it. Very good sets from the trailer though. Looks worth watching if Graham doesn't screw it up.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Graham - well at least they didn't use Mena Suvari! or however you spell it. But something about her is too American, she doesn't have a "world-ripened" carry-over feel to her self presentation yet. And I'm trying to remember - does she even speak in the trailer or just look pretty? if she doesn't speak, that's a tell-tale sign her accent/delivery's gonna suck.

haven't even seen it but from the trailer alone you are told she's the victim. inspector gets too close ... they keep delivering too much info. the first time, it was kinda limited, so i had questions, and wanted to see it. then they altered the trailer to reveal that he can foresee killings, is held in doubt by fellow police for it and gets to close to the victim, who is not exactly a fine lady, but then again, he's just an inspector, so they're in each other's class. you can tell right now class'll be an issue, particularly the victims chosen by Jack (lower class whores to be punished while the movie intimates he's upper class and "punishing" the lowly for whatever).

isn't that sad I can tell all this just from the trailer? and watch, i'll be right.

umm ... oh, and from the trailer too, Depp's accent SUCKED. i totally thought he was playing it straight and THEN i listened closer ... he's trying to go for a specific accent ... I've heard it before but i can't identify it by name (like, I don't know if it's cockney or what) but when you realize what it is you totally see how he fails it HORRIBLY. but if you don't catch it (unlikely) you can fool yourself into thinking it's a minor speech impediment of an American accent.

oh, PS - this comes out the day after me birthday!!! ya!

Maybe they should have used Brad Pitt and have him do his Pikey accent. That would have been worth watching. Just trying picturing a dark movie with Pitt goin i'l roon ya doewn. Or something like that.

Johnny Depps accent was horrible in Sleepy hollow. I dont know, I guess I just have a thing about it being done properly, specially in period movies. Was Depps accent in SH supposed to be American or English? It was neither fish nor fowl, as Pigsnie would say. And in a Jack the Ripper movie, accents should be Breetish!!!

Ps. Does anyone else think that fresh blood spurtin from the autopsied woman in Sleepy hollow was ridiculous? Hadnt she been dead at least a couple of days already? She wasnt even rottin, she was just greyish. Were all the horsemans victims beheaded on the same day? Becuz they were all in the same greyish unrotting condition if you ask me.

Dead blood stops spurtin whithin a few hours o death. I have an FBI book, it says so. And do you know that to get fingerprints identified, the police would cut off the corpses hand & mail it in a box FedEx to the FBI??? Eeeeek.

Now With Moveable Parts
As far as the trailer giving everything away...everyone pretty much knows the story of Jack the Ripper and the detective that hunted him.I can even tell you how he wacks his victims and they don't show you that in the trailer.I think it'll probably not be the greatest movie,but I want scary,SCARY...around that time of year,I'd see anything spooky just for fun.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I can't wait for this movie, looks awesome!

the trailer does look inviting, but I've been burned by JD before, any one remember Dead Man, or something like that. I was put on "movie restriction" by my husband because I was the one who brought home the rental, "look, Johnny Depp!" However in the trailer, Heather seems to be moving a little fast and smooth along the streets of London, where rollerskates around then, just a thought.

Now With Moveable Parts
Pff...rollerskates...lol! Funny girl! I hope Johnny Depp delivers,although I'm a little hesitant to get my hopes up.It looks alot like his role in Sleepy Hollow doesn't it?Dark,mysterious detective.I hope he talks more too.He hardly said a word in Sleepy Hollow.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
"Johnny Depps accent was horrible in Sleepy hollow. I dont know, I guess I just have a thing about it being done properly, specially in period movies. Was Depps accent in SH supposed to be American or English? It was neither fish nor fowl, as Pigsnie would say. And in a Jack the Ripper movie, accents should be Breetish!!!

Ps. Does anyone else think that fresh blood spurtin from the autopsied woman in Sleepy hollow was ridiculous? Hadnt she been dead at least a couple of days already? She wasnt even rottin, she was just greyish. Were all the horsemans victims beheaded on the same day? Becuz they were all in the same greyish unrotting condition if you ask me. "

Can you believe PLite said this? I've a mind to think he's possessed. Where on earth did that mostly proper grammar and spelling come from?!!!

this from the same guy who said he'd pee on Eve from All About Eve if he saw her on the street ...

Neesee - I LOVED Dead Man (1995). I think it's one of Jarmusch's very best and most acessible films. Depp was fantastic, as was Gary Farmer. And that supporting cast was amazing, especially Lance Henriksen and Michael Wincott as the bounty hunters.

While no movie is for everybody, that's even more true with Jarmusch. I absolutely adore the guy, but he is definitely an acquired taste. Mmmmmmmm, yummy!

As for the spurting blood in Burton's Sleepy Hollow : uh, it was SUPPOSED to be ridiculous. Did you not get the tongue-in-cheek tone throughout, specifically in regards to the Ichabod character's inability to deal with the situation? The excessive blood was designed to be funny, in a darkly comic macabre way. For me the effect worked perfectly and I laughed out loud. Do you mean you suspended disbelief for a cursed Hessian and his horsie returning from the grave to lop folk's heads off, but you found the blood spurting to be silly? Ooooh-kaaay.... It wasn't made as a training film for M.E.s, it's a dark fantasy from the wonderfully warped mind of Tim Burton, dig?

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-26-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
I laughed out loud too and everyone looked at me funny like I was a sadist or something.I thought it was supposed to be funny...I'm glad to hear I'm not a freak.Johnny Depp hardly talked at all in SH,maybe he forgot he had an accent between lines.

Their Ichabod Crane, as envisioned by Burton and brought to life by Depp, is supposed to be less than typically heroic. It's rather the point.

In the opening scene with the Burgomeister (Christopher Lee), Ichabod's reliance in his scientific mind is cocky and inflated. Even that first night in Sleepy Hollow, when he mocks the townsmen who tell him the tale ("Murder needs no ghosts come from the grave. The assassin is a man of flesh and blood, and I will discover him"), he is confident and still very verbal. But as more and more bloody bodies turn up and he sees the Headless Horseman for himself, he becomes terrified, doubts everything he believes to be true through science, and reverts to a basically silent agent who is reactive rather than proactive.

It is only later in the narrative, when he wades through the convoluted plot and learns the Horseman can be controlled by a human being, that he becomes confident again. Of course his growing love for Katrina (Christina Ricci) also gives him courage to find the responsible party by the last third of the movie, no matter the supernatural agent the villain is working through. A smartass Bruce Willis/Arnold Schwarzenegger superhero type wouldn't have worked at all in this particular story. The 'hero' has to be vulnerable and overwhelmed by the goings on, not courageously and confidently fighting the demon. Brom Van Brunt (Casper Van Dien) tries that approach, and you remember what happened to him, yeah?

Sleepy Hollow ain't exactly the most thematically dense or complicated movie. I don't quite see how it can be so misinterpreted in tone and intent. It's simply a dark and fun movie, an intricate nightmare brought to the screen in a brauva visual style. It's not a straight horror flick, and it's certainly not a straight comedy, but a purposeful blending of the two (resulting in a Gothic Vaudeville or something), filtered through the unique artistry of Tim Burton.

ANYwho....

[Edited by Holden Pike on 09-27-2001]

Oh! Dead Man! I had forgotten all about that movie! That's the one where Depp is a cowboy or trapper or something and I think it was in black & white?? And he teams up with an indian I think. Saw it a looong time ago. That's a good one. What were you restricted to, Stephen Segal movies? Sheese, I thought Dead Man was good.

Sleepy Hollow was a comedy? I thought it was supposed to be a fun horror movie, not a comedy horror movie. I didn't laugh, I don't think. Sleepy Hollow was good til they revealed the Hessman was being controlled, it lost all it's scariness after that. It turned into a mystery movie instead of a horror movie at that point.

The trailer From Hell looks good to me. I'll go see it! I can't think of any movies where Depp has played a tough guy before. He looks like a tough detective in the trailer. I don't think the killings were ritualistic like the trailer said, I think Jack killed them because one of them gave him syphils and he couldn't stand the sight of his willie rotting off. So he decided to kill them all. Eventually he died of syphillis or whatever. Some of those STDs attack your brain if left untreated and medicine back then was pretty primative. Plus, imagine if you're rich and powerful but you're going to die in a horrible disgusting way because of some worthless peasant ho. Wouldn't that piss you off?