Steve Martin is overrated?

Tools    

I can't deny I like his movies including his last one 'the pink panther' ... somehow his actions are very predictable .. sometimes silly

I think somehow he's overrated, isn't he?

I'd consider him overrated now...but not in his earlier (but still grey haired) years

Horrorphiliac

Lost in never never land
Honestly, I can think of two movies of his that I like. The Pink Panther and Three Amigos. Everything else I have seen of his I haven't liked at all.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Parenthood was CLASSIC (IMO)

and who couldn't just love (any guys out there can relate) Father of the Bride...

He is the best "dad" in the world, especially considering he never had children.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!!!he's Underrated!!!!!!!!!!!he's One Of The Best Actors Ever!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by crazy chick
Overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!!!he's Underrated!!!!!!!!!!!he's One Of The Best Actors Ever!!!!!!!!
Your username is definitely making more sense to me as time goes on.

www.forumninja.com
I agree that The Pink Panther was a poor film and that he couldn't touch Sellers' original performance, but I think that Martin is generally very talented. He carried The Jerk; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels; Trains, Planes and Automobiles; and his writing AND acting in Roxanne and LA Story were exemplary.

Death Is So Becoming ;>
I think Steve Martin is one of the greatest physical comedians around today and I think overall a pretty good actor. And I think for someone to be considered an overrated actor he has to be in major, but horrifically mediocre, blockbuster movies every 4 to 6 months.

This One Time At Band Camp...
I also think he is quite under-rated. I enjoyed some of his early stuff like the Jerk, Trains,Plains, And Automobiles, The Father Of The Brides. And he is great in the Cheaper by the Dozen movies now.

I enjoy Steve Martin's comedies alot and I think he performs best when he has someone else equally as entertaining to bounce off of (such as Bonnie Hunt, Queen Latifa, or Eugene Levy). When he has that he is a joy to watch. My favourite of his is Bringin Down the House ( I love the Queen) and Cheaper by the Dozen. In Pink Panther he didn't have a strong of supporting cast around him, and although Jean Reno was so cute-he's a relative newbie to comedy. And there is nothing wrong with needing an ensemble to do your best work.

His 'serious' stuff I'm not that much into. I'm not the artsy film type anyway, so it doesn't really matter whose in it. But that work of his gets him cudos from critics so I guess it must be good.

But like Robin Williams, I prefer Steve Martin when he does comedy.

I wouldn't say that he is overrated, but his line of comedy usually is the same. But like every comedian out there is the same way. Yes they may do one movie or two that is different but they always go back as to how they were. No matte how Steve Martin acts, he is funny no matter what he does.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I Haven't seen that one why not
back in the late 70's when king tut was making his first appearance in the the art museums around the us, steve martin came up with the following song, which he performed on saturday night live...lyrics below:

King Tut (King Tut)
Now when he was a young man
He never thought he'd see (King Tut)
People stand in line
To see the boy king (King Tut)

How'd you get so funky (Funky Tut)
Did you do the monkey
(Born in Arizona)
(Moved to Babylonia, King Tut)

(King Tut) Now, if I'd known
They'd line up just to see him (Funky Tut)
I'd trade in all my money
And bought me a museum (King Tut)

Buried with a donkey (funky Tut)
He's my favorite honkey
(Born in Arizona)
(Moved to Babylonia, king Tut)

Dancin' by the Nile (disco Tut)
The ladies love his style (boss Tut)
Rockin' for a mile (rockin' Tut)
He ate a crocodile

He gave his life for tourism (King Tut)
(Tut, tut, tut, tut)
Golden idol
(Tut, tut, tut, tut)
He's an Egyptian
(Tut, tut, tut, tut)
They're sellin' you (King Tut)

Now, when I die
Now don't think I'm a nut
Don't want no fancy funeral
Just one like ole King Tut (King Tut)

He coulda won a Grammy (King Tut)
Buried in his Jammies
(Born in Arizona)
(Moved to Babylonia)
(He was born in Arizona)
Got a condo made of stone-a
King Tut

I'd have to say I find him SLIGHTLY overrated, emphasis on slight. I still have great respect for him as an actor and majority of his movies are excellent. With the odd dud (which considering how many he has been is, its near impossible to have a perfect record).