Memento

→ in
Tools    

Greetings,

Is there still a need for SPOILER TAGS?

My questions were:

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
Why is it that Teddy leaves the drug money in "Jimmy's", "hot" car trunk, when he can snatch it at anytime?

Natile cares about her boyfriend, Jimmy, but doesn't finger Lenny for the hit, as he sits there in Jimmy's clothes?

Dodd attacks lenny in the street with a gun but after getting a bloody nose, heads for the hills? He just leaves town?

I enjoyed the time line, the score, and the issues of how we set out to rewrite what brings us discomfort. JDB.

BTW: The suit fit well enough, unlike suggested above, he was adjusting the camera's shoulder strap.

ADMIN EDIT: Yep, there is a need. Check this out for help: Explanation of the Spoilers Tag.

O.K. , anyone who has the DVD go to scene 11 (I think), the one where Burt the hotel guy takes him to the wrong room or actually his other room that they are renting him. When they are leaving and burt is busting Lenny about his condition, Lenny calls him Burt. How does he know his name is Burt. No where in the scene does Burt say he is Burt. Lenny carries no pictures of Burt, nor did Lenny take any pictures out of his pocket during the time they were together.

Excellent!
Congratulations, you win.
jdb

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
jskro2477, how many times have you seen the movie? After a couple of times you'll figure out why he knew his name.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
I'm still unsure regarding one issue on this movie; at the end when it shows the image of his wife lying on his chest and the tattoo "I DID IT" is on Lenny's left pec, the only way this scene makes sense to me is that he must be dreaming of the way he would like things to be. Since his wife is dead through the entire movie and we see that he never has that tattoo on his chest, how else could both his wife be alive and he have that tattoo?

After I watched it half a dozen times normally on DVD, it's kinda fun to watch it in time sequential order using the jump track feature--watch all of the black-n-white from beginning of movie to the end then work your way backwards through the color scenes. The movie DEFINITELY would lose a lot of punch if it wasn't told in reverse.

Also, Lenny gets those scratches on his face when he is wrestling with Jimmy.

Jumping time in the tell of a tale, will force one's attention. It is also a way to hide the Emporers' naked behind.

enjoy jdb

hate to bring up old topics here. I read this entire thread, and I still don't understand the issue with the tattoo on Leonard's chest. What is it suppose to mean and do for the plot of the story?

Regarding the "I DID IT" tattoo...

WARNING: "MEMENTO" spoilers below
If you mean the "I DID IT" tattoo seen in one of the last shots of the movie, what it means is that he killed his wife when, out of frustration and desperation, she had Leonard give her too many insulin shots in a row in hopes of bringing him out of his condition. What that does for the plot of the story is help those who still didn't get what happened - even after Teddy just explained it to the audience, understand what went on.

As a stylistic choice, it's a visual representation of the character's point of view and state of mind. It's Leonard's guilty conscience revealing itself, mixing his true memories - lying in bed with his beloved wife - with false ones...which is something he's been doing consistently throughout the movie, the most elaborate and important of these being the Sammy Jankis story.

I don't quite understand why Memento is so hard for people to figure out, even after they can view it on video and rewatch the whole thing or parts that may have initially passed them by.

Again, the main key is...

WARNING: "MEMENTO" spoilers below
Leonard is a classic unreliable narrator.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I saw it in one viewing and got it all.
It wasn't really all that special, or hard to figure out. It just put the audience in his shoes -- too many people chose to walk in them I think.

The Sammy Jankis story -- it's all about, conditioning.
Sigh.

Perhaps I am not as evolved of a movie-goer as some of the people who frequent these forums, but I happened to love this movie. I didn't think it was extremely difficult to figure out after having seen it, but I was kept in suspense for the better part of the film.

One measure of a great film (for me at least) is one that makes me think after I leave the theater... and Memento certainly did that!

I've seen this thread is quite busy and i hadnt seen the film until quite recently when, after my brother recommended it, i bought the DVD. I think i must have blanked it out when it was at the cinema due to the involvement of Guy "Mike from Neighbours" Pearce.

Ive only watched it once and havent really thought about the ins and outs of the story that much yet. Ill watch it again next week when im off work.

My question is: Has anyone actually viewed the End of the Beginning (or whatever its called) easter egg where the movie is played backwards scene by scene?

Im not sure the movie being in chronological order would work really.

I've heard about the egg that allows you to watch it in chronological order, but to me, it works better in the direction it's already going.

Because the Black & White scenes are going forward while the Color scenes are going backwards, if you reverse that, it makes absolutely no sense.

Still, would be interesting to see. I knew a guy in school that took the time to splice Pulp Fiction together in chronological order... I never saw it, but damn it would have been cool!

Now With Moveable Parts
Yes-Huh, Spud! That would work perfectly for Memento!

It wouldn't for me.

Everything would all mixed up. Unless the B&W sequences stay where they're at and the color sequences get jumbled around...

Now With Moveable Parts
Quit it! Quit doing this after everything! Are you trying to tell me something?! Agh! It's maddening.

Maybe to you, Sades.

I think Memento is overrated...It doesn't have the balls to go through with what it's about, which is that memories are all we have. The ending is just plot plot plot, and it's annoying. The plot isn't the point, it's stupid to argue about, and it's a sorry ending. It's thisclose to being a masterpiece, but alas.

But hey, don't listen to me. I'm the guy who thinks A.I. is, along with 2001, the best sci fi movie ever made.