Best 10 Time Travel Movies

Tools    

But (spoiler alert) at the end Groundhog Day, he does eventually go forward. The loop breaks, so he does eventually, in the last iteration, merely go back a day and then keep moving forward. So even under this definition, one would have to say that Groundhog Day eventually does depict time travel -- during the last iteration of the day.
** spoiler alert**
If a loop breaks the time line has to move forward and it would do so from the end of the last cycle. It so happened in the Groundhog Day that in the last cycle Bill Murray's character was able to fall in love with Andie Macdowell's character and the movie had a happy ending. If any other loop would have been broken, the story would theoretically have progressed from there. My point is simple, each of those loops did not have any impact on Andie Macdowell's character, did they? She was charmed by Bill Murray's character many times, but that did not have any bearing on the final cycle. He started afresh and was able to make her fall in love with him all over again.

Also, the idea of time travel necessarily changing events in the future is definitely not a universally-held hallmark of the concept, at least in fiction. Many stories (like Lost, for example) feature time-travel that is self-fulfilling. IE: someone goes back to stop something, only to learn that their attempt to stop the thing is what causes it in the first place. Under the definition you're offering, these wouldn't be time travel stories, either, because they exert no ability to change things. The thing that happened is destined to happen one way or another, and their knowledge of it is a part of that destiny in the first place.
I have not seen LOST (yet!) but I understand your point. It is like what happened in The Prisoner of Azkaban. I never meant that a time travel jump should necessarily change the future in any way. The change that he does may very well make the story self fulfilling. But he should be able to make that change, the eventual consequences of that change are irrelevant. Such a thing does not exist in a temporal loop. The change made in a loop does not affect the next loop. Thats my point.

** spoiler alert**
If a loop breaks the time line has to move forward and it would do so from the end of the last cycle. It so happened in the Groundhog Day that in the last cycle Bill Murray's character was able to fall in love with Andie Macdowell's character and the movie had a happy ending. If any other loop would have been broken, the story would theoretically have progressed from there. My point is simple, each of those loops did not have any impact on Andie Macdowell's character, did they? She was charmed by Bill Murray's character many times, but that did not have any bearing on the final cycle. He started afresh and was able to make her fall in love with him all over again.
This is a reason why all Bill Murray's jumps backwards are not time travel...except the last one, because the last one does have a bearing on the future. In the last iteration, we simply have a man going back in time a day and doing things that change his future. That's time travel under any definition, no? So even if one doesn't consider most of the film's conceit to be time travel (though I think it's all time travel, personally), the last jump would still quality.

Also, why can't someone's mind time travel, but not their body? Bill Murray doesn't encounter copies of himself, but I'm not sure why any conception of time travel must involve the physical.

I have not seen LOST (yet!) but I understand your point. It is like what happened in The Prisoner of Azkaban. I never meant that a time travel jump should necessarily change the future in any way. The change that he does may very well make the story self fulfilling. But he should be able to make that change, the consequences of that change are irrelevant. Such a thing does not exist in a temporal loop. The change made in a loop does not affect the next loop. Thats my point.
But they do; they cause the next loop entirely. It's a loop because the reaction to an event is the same thing that ends up causing it, and there's no way to ever know which really came "first." A lot of stories fall under this definition that we all should be able to agree qualify as time travel.

Regardless of all this, I'm not sure why we're talking about this concept as if it's real, or as if there are any set "rules" about what qualifies other than, well, traveling in time. I'm not sure one can make a "technical" correction about something which is entirely theoretical to begin with.

Semper Fooey
The Will Rogers' Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's' Court (silent movie, I think lost)might be the first time travel movie if it doesn't turn out to be a dream, which is how the Bing Crosby remake turned out.

Already mentioned:

Butterfly Effect
Time after Time
12 Monkeys
Star Trek: the voyage home
Planet of the Apes

Time Crimes (Los Cronocrimenes)
The Visitors (Les Visiteurs)
Field of Dreams
The Navigator: a Medieval Odyssey
Time Cop
Millennium

Endangered Species
I am a hard fan of time travel movies. I just joined the Movie Forums and I was surprised that this forum has very few discussions about time travel movies. I love to discuss time travel movies. I always enjoy people's opinions about time travel movies.

It's fun to compare people's different opinions about the best 10 time travel movies. Here is my best 10 time travel movies.

1. Back to the Future Trilogy
2. Frequency
3. Timeline
4. Butterfly Effect (First one is best)
5. The Thirteenth Floor
6. Time Machine (original)
7. Star Trek (new)
8. Chances Are
9. Lake House
10. Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

What is your best 10 time travel movies?

Was there time travel in the Thirteenth Floor?
More like a virtual reality thingy.
I liked that movie. Good use of a world within a world theme.

Semper Fooey
Here is an extensive, but still not a complete list of time travel movies. They come up with some obscurities. I wasn't aware of Roger Corman's Undead.

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF/time.html

Some People interrpet Alphaville as a time travel movie. It would explain how a 1950's detective ended up in the far future.

Was there time travel in the Thirteenth Floor?
More like a virtual reality thingy.
I liked that movie. Good use of a world within a world theme.
Good point. To me, it's both time travel and virtual reality because they create 1930's LA in virtual realty but to me, as if they "travel" through time. For example, Scientist Fuller Fuller transports himself to 1998, where he's found murdered and his colleague is the prime suspect.

I should watch it again.

Thanks for quoting the entire post to say that. Well done.

Now Chances Are, that one isn't time travel. I like that movie and all, but the plot has a man dying then at an afterlife weigh station having his soul and consciousness transferred to a baby, which grows up and suddenly begins to remember his former life. How that is time travel, I don't get.
What would you call it? Reincarnation?

Semper Fooey
What would you call it? Reincarnation?
Haven't seen the flick, but sounds like it.

Roger Corman's Undead, which I just read about, involves both reincarnation and time travel.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
My 2 faves are Millenium and Time After Time. Kris Kristofferson and Malcom McDowell time traveling, what better?

Users, thanks for posting your list of time travel movies. I enjoy reading your comments. I notice some people posted a full list of 10 best time travel movies while some people posted few time travel movies. I checked other topic "10 Best Movies of The Last 10 Years" (Yes, it's a good topic!) and almost all users posted 10 movies. I find it interesting. I would love to see your list of 10 best time travel movies here.

Put me in your pocket...
Sorry no top 10 timetravelfan. Somes movies I like have already been mentioned, but I did want to add a few more to the mix...

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
Kate & Leopold (2001)
The Muppet Chrismas Carol (1992)
Scrooged (1988)

And, for kids…A Kid in King Arthur’s Court (1995) was pretty cute.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Some good ones already named.
Here's a few more I haven't seen mentioned yet…

i have to know...are you just slappen up random time travel flicks from a google search...or are you...

actually reccomending Sound of Thunder?

the concept is interesting enough, but the actual movie itself?