Funny People

→ in
Tools    

Saw Funny People on Sunday and just finished reviewing it. Here's an excerpt with a link to the rest.:

Funny People

As crazy as it sounds, the most surprising thing about Funny People is how funny it is. The story implies an analytical, personal view of comedy, but that often falls by the wayside to make more room for the jokes. ...READ MORE

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
George means Ira Wright
I know how you are when it comes to your work, so I figured I'd point it out now, so that you're not blindsided by it later.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Funny People (1 viewing)

Apatow has quickly become a crowd/critic favorite with his sharply written scripts that tackle very common but complex ground , the likes most studio comedies would never dare. His third film should cement his status and his desire to understand the human mind.

Does using old footage of the actual actors , casting your actual wife and kids , while assigning roles based on actual life experience make a movie more personal and autobiographical - well by the end of Funny People , my answer would be "Duh".

There's so much in terms of depth and content in this movie , you can't help but feel you're getting the full package , the real deal. Sandler gives another dramatic performance and parodies his own career while doing so. Rogen who's now a star , is demoted back to rookie comedian and his relationship with his two comedy biz friends is often hazarded by competition.

"There's nothing funny about a physically fit man"

So who's the funniest guy in the movie ? I give my vote to Jonah Hill who almost hogs the best one liners in the movie or perhaps the resident German doctor. Funny People is never afraid to pay homage to previous films in the director's cannon , where in his others Everyone Loves Raymond is referenced in some matter - Ray Ramono actually makes a cameo (1 of 76 cameos).

The film is a drama about relationships at the core and for one that covers so much ground and concentrates on so many different characters , it pulls this impossibly grand scheme off and dissects comedy itself along the way.

I really liked it , both times.

You are a very misleading young man. You said you only had "1 Viewing."
I wrote it after the first time , so in a way it's very un-misleading

Yoda your review makes me want to watch it again.

Interesting you should say that. Why, out of curiousity?

To explain my thoughts a bit more: a lot of what I said is based on expectation, admittedly. This really looked and felt (and was titled) like a film that was going to delve into why some people feel compelled to take up comedy, and the sorts of things that make it a pathological need rather than just a random choice of profession. I don't know that perfectly well-adjusted people would put themselves through this. This is not a knock on them, because I don't think the kinds of things that would drive someone to pursue comedy as a living are usually the kinds of things they can control. I also don't want to generalize too much here, but I do think there's a pattern.

Anyway, I was expecting a funny movie that analyzed and illustrated these things, and instead I got a really funny movie that didn't. A
would sit almost as well with me as the
I gave it, I was just too disappointed that the message ended up being so well-worn.

Still, as I mentioned in the review, I greatly appreciate Apatow's refusal to resolve most story lines in conventional ways. There were lots of opportunities for characters to get mad, misunderstand, etc., but they didn't, which I liked. The characters were smart enough not to manufacture larger conflicts out of smaller ones just to generate a false sense of drama (I'm thinking mainly of the revelation to Leslie Mann's character at the intermission of George's show).

But hey, I laughed a lot, so I certainly recommend it.

why some people feel compelled to take up comedy, and the sorts of things that make it a pathological need rather than just a random choice of profession. I don't know that perfectly well-adjusted people would put themselves through this. This is not a knock on them, because I don't think the kinds of things that would drive someone to pursue comedy as a living are usually the kinds of things they can control.
... because I honestly didn't look at the movie from this point of view , there a tons of subtle nods at the characters and comedy itself and I think that's what is so great about it. Their lives are determined on how funny people think they are and whenever they get hurt the most they always have a smile on their face.

I just watched this movie two days ago. I was honestly expecting a hilarious comedy by adam sandler. It didn't exactly fall in that category but it was still a very good movie. The movie had more meaning to it, instead of stupid comedies such as Bruno. Thanks for the review.

Just read Roger Ebert's review of Funny People. Thought this was interesting:

Stand-up comics feel compelled to make you laugh. They're like an obnoxious uncle, with better material. The competition is so fierce these days that most of them are pretty good. I laugh a lot. But unlike my feelings for Catherine Keener, for example, I don't find myself wishing they were my friends. I suspect they're laughing on the outside but gnashing their teeth on the inside.

Judd Apatow would possibly agree with this theory. Recently I e-mailed him a bunch of questions and that was the only one he ignored. He was writing material for comics when he was a teenager, and his insights into the stand-up world inform "Funny People," his new film that has a lot of humor and gnashing.
Makes me wonder if maybe a fair bit of all this is autobiographical, and if so, is it possible this has something to do with why the film doesn't dwell on reasons too much? Too self-exposing or self-analytical? Dunno.

Anyway, perfectly valid, meatwad, to come at the film from a different angle. I love Apatow's films and they all make me laugh (though usually a little harder than I did during Funny People). I guess I was expecting a really big step forward in scope. Whether I should have had this expectation or not, I think it would've been very interesting, and not just (more or less) another strong comedy.

I liked Funny People well enough, but it's not a great movie in my book. Judd tried to get into the James L. Brooks dramady territory, and while it's more successful than Brooks' last film (that also starred Adam Sandler) Spanglish, it's not up to the gold standard of Broadcast News or Terms of Endearment. I really don't have much use for Sandler as a performer or actor, but he was fine playing a mirror version of himself, and the scenes about celebrity and comedy seem authentic enough, which isn't surprising given old friend Sandler and Apatow's backgrounds in the business and where they are today. I did appreciate that the script didn't take the easy or clichéd way out of the situations it put itself into, but other than not going for the obvious I didn't find anything especially unique or emotional in its place.

And yes, Yoda, much of the movie is autobiographical for Apatow. I don't think he was ever unfaithful to his wife nor do I think he pines for "the one" that got away so it's not strictly autobiographical, and Sandler too is happily married with a family so it's not for him either in that way. But in the sense of the road not taken and what they've observed various friends and acquaintances in the business do when they got a bit of fame, in that sense I'm sure they know what they're talking about. Once you've seen firsthand what more money than you can ever spend and women throwing themselves at you looks like it's easy enough to project themselves into a character who never outgrew that phase and the kind of event it would take to rock them out of that world.

Originally Posted by Yoda
This really looked and felt (and was titled) like a film that was going to delve into why some people feel compelled to take up comedy, and the sorts of things that make it a pathological need rather than just a random choice of profession. I don't know that perfectly well-adjusted people would put themselves through this. This is not a knock on them, because I don't think the kinds of things that would drive someone to pursue comedy as a living are usually the kinds of things they can control. I also don't want to generalize too much here, but I do think there's a pattern.
Yes, there is a pattern, but that itself is a cliché: the sad clown, the idea that you have to be fu*ked up in some way to be a comedian. Go and rent Tony Richardson's The Entertainer (1960) with Laurence Oliver, for example. I'm glad Apatow left this as a subtext instead of making it an explicit thing. The movie Punchline (1988) already took a crack at that in regards to stand-up comedians, and while it's an OK movie I think it fails to really capture the zeitgeist of the comedy club boom of that era in a meaningful or lasting way. Hanks and Sally Field are good enough and they do delve a bit in what it takes to write a routine or joke for the stage, but by in large a little too melodramatic and too "clean" at the same time, a problem with tone as much as script. I think Apatow's Funny People is more successful in regards to a behind the scenes look at that world because it takes most of what Punchline was examining for granted.

Funny People is a good movie, but despite the fact that it was designed to be more emotional and less laugh-out-loud funny than his previous two films I didn't find myself anywhere near as emotionally involved with these characters as the ones in Knocked-Up or The 40-Year-Old Virgin. It actually reminds me of my reaction to Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous. That one was explicitly autobiographical, but while I found the details of the world were remarkably perfect the love story, which he had done so perfectly in Say Anything... and his previous films, was the weakest part of Almost Famous for me.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Funny People is an odd title for this movie. I didn't laugh that much during it.

Yet I loved it, and I think more so because of what Holden was saying about the behind the scenes look it gives. I LOVE Seth Rogen - inside and out - he's become one of those actors that I just want to see every movie that he does. Which is why I bought Funny People yesterday, and recently, Knocked Up, which I didn't really care for when I saw it two years ago. It's Seth Rogen - ever since Observe and Report, I've been completely charmed.

I also want to give a shout out to Jonah Hill, who I think is a terrific actor. I think he just makes things naturally funny and charming. I wanted to see even more of him in Funny People (with clothes on - though, I'll look if they're off).

This is a great film, although I will admit that when I started watching it for a second time - and it's fantastic in that it made me want to watch it again soon after the first time (I didn't see it in the theatre) - I admit that it wasn't quite as strong the second time. It's sad and yet not sad. It's a movie for depressed people. I get depressed at times, so I can need films like Funny People, although it always bugs me a little when everyone in the film starts to get a little too lovey dovey and "everyone just needs a hug" with each other, as this film does. Sometimes movies need a bitchfight or two without any apologies and making up. It's more real that way.

Funny People is an odd title for this movie. I didn't laugh that much during it....
You didn't laugh much during an Adam Sandler film?!?! Hold on, I think I need to sit down. You should warn people before you drop a bombshell like that.

You didn't laugh much during an Adam Sandler film?!?! Hold on, I think I need to sit down. You should warn people before you drop a bombshell like that.

my comments on the movie are short but yet honest: "Thank you Adam Sandler...thank you"