Zotis' Film Watching Diary

→ in
Tools    

How is joking about retarded people any different from joking about crippled people?
You missed the point.

Do you think certain subjects are taboo and can't be joked about?

Do you think it's okay to make fun of "normal" people, but people with disabilities need to be pampered?

Welcome to the human race...
You missed the point.

Do you think certain subjects are taboo and can't be joked about?

Do you think it's okay to make fun of "normal" people, but people with disabilities need to be pampered?
I'd say "read this back to yourself", but Camo already said that and apparently that didn't work.

Alright, I'm putting him back on ignore for now. I really can't stand him.

How is joking about retarded people any different from joking about crippled people?
This is seriously the dumbest question I've heard all week. What an idiot.

Thumper (2017)

In a California town high-school students struggle with the preasures of life and drugs. There’s a new girl in town, Kat, played by Eliza Taylor, who begins to get involved, and carries a secret. Dealing with the subject matter of drugs, and difficulties brought on by life’s hardships, this was a very real and powerful story that represented the lives and struggles of people living in poverty.

Since he hasn't done a lot of work in the industry I wasn’t familiar with filmmaker Jordan Ross, who wrote, directed, and produced Thumper. I also wasn’t familiar with much of the cast. Lena Headey, who played Cersei in Game of Thrones, had a small role. Eliza Taylor, was an unkown to me, but she has definitely caught my attention now (although I can't say anything else she's worked on so far looks particularly interesting, and the first episode of The 100 played out like a terrible soap opera about college kids pretending to still be in high-school). Her performance in the lead role was stellar. She carried the film with a very strong emotional performance in a smart multi-layered role. Her character, Kat, has an immense amount of preassure and as a result takes some serious risks. The movie was gripping with characters that felt so real I had no trouble picturing their lives beyond what was shown on screen. The story was down-to-Earth dealing with real everyday problems that many can relate to. The characters were all flawed, and the plot flowed naturally like a stream of their lives rather than any kind of cut-and-paste movie script. I must say the climax was especially brilliant. My brother actually walked in right at that moment. He was trying to tell me something, but got hooked and just stood there captivated. I don’t want to spoil it, but it really hit the spot for me. I liked it so much I watched the movie again the next day. Although the outcome of the climactic scene was a bit predictable, I still felt in that moment like anything could have happened. In it’s atmosphere and the vibes I got from it, I would compare this movie with The Daughter or Gimmie Shelter.

Thanks for writing about this, Zotis. Eliza is ex-Neighbours alumni, so I always take interest in seeing what they're doing. She really grew as an actress on Neighbours, unlike people like Margot Robbie or Mavournee Hazel who shone immediately, but I hope she continues doing good work. I actually quite liked The 100, though stopped watching at the start of season 3 because I just had too much to watch and there was a storyline which was annoying me.

@honeykid

Neighbours? Isn't that a soap opera? I saw only a clip of Eliza on the show and it was a very wooden delivery about her showing up at a guy's door in a bikini and acting like a really ditsy bimbo.

Well, anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts if you watch Thumper. Her acting was miles better than anything else of hers I've seen.

Yes, Neighbours is an Australian soap opera. I'd think quite a few of the clips will be quite wooden. Especially early on as, regardless of her ability, the character was, in American parlance, white trash, and she'd be expected to act in a certain way. It sounds as if you've seen an example of that from the description. Not that Eliza in a bikini is anything to complain about.

I never struck you as the soap opera type. Well, I'll keep an eye on Eliza's future projects. Hopefully she keeps improving and does some more awesome films. I think I'll keep my eye on Thumper's director too if he makes any more movies. Thumper was certainly a stark contrast from her more glamorous trendy shows. It was brutally honest and very realistic.

I just watched a chunk of the Avengers Infinity War movie and walked out. What a ****ing piece of garbage **** show. I cringed so hard. The dialogue was unendurable. The characters were a bunch of childish illogical retard morons. The plot was stretched very thin.

The part I hated most was when Thanos sacrificed his daughter. He had to sacrifice that which he loved. Yeah, I really found it totally believable that Thanos loved a random girl from one of the random planets he massacred so much that he murdered her without a second thought in exchange for power. What an amazing sacrifice. He must have really loved her. I totally felt it emotionally.

What a crock of utter ****e.

**** that.

What a piece of **** movie.

Why did he leave Thor alive? Why did he leave the Guardians alive? He leaves so many enemies alive because he's so ruthless.

Everything about this movie was an insult to my itelligence.

**** you Marvel you ass hat.

Consider this: Thanos is insane and evil, his love for Gamora is twisted and abusive but still exists and is well-established by the Guardians movies, and he doesn't personally kill too many people because he's absurdly focused on completing his master plan that will kill half the universe anyway. This is all established within the text of the movie that is made to be understood by children, but sure, you're the smart one for walking out.

Consider this: Thanos is insane and evil, his love for Gamora is twisted and abusive but still exists and is well-established by the Guardians movies, and he doesn't personally kill too many people because he's absurdly focused on completing his master plan that will kill half the universe anyway. This is all established within the text of the movie that is made to be understood by children, but sure, you're the smart one for walking out.
You're smart enough to realize I know all that and my actual issue is with it's execution.

I probably would've realised it sooner if your initial post had actually made that clear instead of trying to be sarcastic.

You go and see an Avengers movie, you get what you deserve.
I know not to expect much from them, but I didn't mind the Spiderman movie. That gave me some hope at least. I hated the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and the Thor movies, so I wasn't originally planning to see Infinity War. I didn't even see the second Avengers, only the first which I hated. I saw clips of the Black Panther movie and it looked ridiculous. Oh, and Doctor Strange, the opening for that was hilariously awful.

What made me consider watching Infinity War was Deadpool. I watched it recently and enjoyed it. And I heard Infinity War was really dark with lots of characters dying. I did think they handled so many characters well, but I couldn't stand the dialogue and plot.

It sounds as if you duped yourself really. I've not seen any of these films (with the exception of the first Guardians of The Galaxy) but isn't Deadpool supposed to be a more adult/grown up film/universe than the others? I'm dancing on the edge of my ignorance here, so I may be way off, but you're much more tuned in to this than I am (and you aren't an idiot) so I'd expect you to know that and, as you haven't liked previous films which were similar/of the same franchise, you'd have to know what you'd like despite what others said.

I know I'm supposed to praise people who are open minded enough to go and see a film they don't think they'll like or haven't liked previously, but it just annoys me when people moan about something they already knew.

I guess I was just mad because I wanted it to be a little more entertaining. Anyway, I went and finished it since I'm a glutton for punishment. Overall I give it 2/5 Below Average.

Deadpool I give 2.5 Average since it was somewhat entertaining and better than I expected.

I'm actually waiting to watch Deadpool 2 right now with expectations of another 2.5. Guess I just want the cheap thrills. What is it about super heroes? I'm hoping it's better than the first.