Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Out To Sea (1997)

Watch this just for fun. There's a great cast of old time actors and a few laughs too.

Think of Out To Sea like an episode of The Love Boat with the Grumpy Old Men duo of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau looking for romance on the high seas.

Into that mix add such old time familiar faces as: Donald O'Connor (his last film), Hal Linden, Dyan Cannon, Rue McClanahan and Brent Spiner. Set on a cruise ship, a real cruise ship, the Holland American Westerdam.

Sure Walter Matthau is way too old for Dyan Cannon but that won't stop him from pursuing her and her money. Jack Lemmon is reluctantly pursued by a classy older lady, Gloria DeHaven.

Brent Spiner is hilarious as the sniveling, pompous Cruise Director. He does a good British accent too.

I've been on cruises and Out To Sea is the only movie I've seen that is actually filmed on a real cruise ship. Many of the sets are real locations on the Westerdam. So if you can't afford a cruise, just watch Out To Sea and you won't even get sea sick.

I scrawled down the thread and this is the first one I saw and even heard of, except Inglorious. But, boy, did i love this one! Like when Jack was 'adjusting' Walther's back. But I agree with everything you say. Brent steals it. I love him anyway as lieutenant commander Data or even in Superhero Movie or whatever. My favorite scene is also the one when he introduces himself.

Paddington (2014)

Director: Paul King
Cast: Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Nicole Kidman, Paddington
Genre: Comedy Family

After his jungle home is destroyed, a young Peruvian bear who can talk, journeys to London to find a new home. Lost, cold and alone he meets the kindly Brown family who take him in for one night only.

I really was looking forward to seeing this. I thought it would be a heart warming, family movie based on the children's classic Paddington books. Boy was I wrong!

This is a family comedy with a PG rating, so this should be great for little tykes, right? Wrong!...what we get is a scary Nicole Kidman who captures a small monkey with plans of killing it and stuffing it for the museum. Then you guessed it, she chases poor Paddington around, with similar evil plans. What's wrong with modern film makers that they have to 'ramp up' a movie just to sell more tickets. Not only is the mad scientist, Nicole Kidman scary for little kids, it's a stupid, lazy plot twist. Which is too bad because in the first part of the story the drama and conflict comes from Paddington not knowing how human society works, while he desperately wants to fit in and that could have been the entire basis for the story while providing a good morality tale for children.

I did instantly like the Brown family and their cool looking house with it's colorful walls and a huge painted tree that was neat. The house set was the best part of the film. Each room had it's own vivid decor.

Sally Hawkins is always a joy to see in films, she makes a great mom here. I wish she had more screen time. Dad (Hugh Bonneville) who seems like a Colin Firth stand in, was also good as the stern but loving father. The kid actors were also good and never annoying or overly cutesy. Most importantly the character of Paddington came alive through the special effects and the voice actor...I could believe he was real!

I heard of little kids being scared by this film, so it's best for us big kids

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Paddington yet, but I had a Paddington doll when I was a kid, and I was looking forward to the movie. It sounds like they tried to turn it into a horror movie for kids.

Now I'm just disappointed, and I'll probably just skip the movie.

GBG, this time around I suggest you ignore my review. Why? because I think you might like this film, not love it, but I bet you would like it. It's not a horror for kids, nothing gory at all. Please give it a watch and see. I even find many things to like about it, myself.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GBG, this time around I suggest you ignore my review. Why? because I think you might like this film, not love it, but I bet you would like it. It's not a horror for kids, nothing gory at all. Please give it a watch and see. I even find many things to like about it, myself.

Okay, I'll keep it on my watchlist, but I'm not as excited about it as I was before I read your review.

But I promise to watch it with an open mind.

Aren't most of the classic kids films scary? I hate Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but The Child Catcher is one of the most evil and scary characters on film.

You're absolutely right many are, Sleeping Beauty for one. I've heard other people say the The Child Catcher was scary to them as a kid.

I see there's another Paddington movie (2015) have you seen that one?

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's the same film. 2014 release in the UK but a 2015 release in the States. Either way I've not seen it because I've not seen the one you're talking about.

Oh...that explains it, thanks. I actually liked the movie but disliked the substory with Nicole Kidman, (but I like Nicole Kidman in general, just not her character here.)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i was wondering if it held any of its "magic" or got the usual "ramping".
Looks like still worthwhile, thanks for the review. The house does look pretty gorgeous and I do love that painted tree that seems to go on and on. And I'm SO relieved to hear that the kids ain't annoying or too cutesy. That always ruins it for me

i was wondering if it held any of its "magic" or got the usual "ramping".
I think I know what you mean. I would say it mostly holds it's magic. There were a few scenes that were like OK I've seen this many times before. But then again, if it's done right it doesn't matter if everything isn't totally fresh.

The house ruled! It was three stories tall and each room was lavishly decorated to match the 'feel' of the room. The house was my favorite part.

Master of My Domain
Paddington looks like good fun. Unlike GBG your review didn't disappoint me because that's exactly what I was expecting ever since I noticed the film.

Rep for Paddington even though I don't really agree.

I don't think it was scary in any way at all. Actually I personally talked a bit down on it for being the exact opposite - way to cute and cuddly. A harmless typical family tale that was way too kiddie like than it should have been. Yes, you could say the premise is scary, but I don't think it's presented that way. Look at all the Disney movies. Some of them have really sick plot lines, but because of the approach it's mosty not too bad... Also, Paddington is PG not G, so it's not like it says "bring your 1 year old" or anything.

But yeah, I pretty much gave it the sams rating as you did and most of what you liked I also did.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Director: Philip Kaufman
Writers: Jack Finney (novel), W.D. Richter (screenplay)
Cast: Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright, Leonard Nimoy
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror

"In San Francisco, four people discover that everyone in the city is being replaced with a duplicate that emerges from an alien plant pod."

Wholly smokes! This movie rocks! It's miles ahead of most Sci Fi flicks. It's miles ahead of most films period!...I knew right away that this was made by a skilled director, a real perfectionist, who cared to do it right. Each scene is a thing of beauty: the sets are richly detailed and well dressed out. This was shot inside real buildings in San Francisco, no fakey Hollywood sets here. When you see a room, it looks real because it is.

There are many fine details in the background that help to create realism and that's really important in sci fi. Some of those details create atmosphere too. And this movie is dripping in atmosphere.

Take a look at that still shot of Donald Sutherland from the movie. Look at how the oddly shaped trees adds to the creepiness as does the low camera angle. This film is stacked full of such shots.

The camera work is perfection. The way they do off centered and tilted shots gives a real sense of foreboding...as does the film noir style lighting in some of the darker interior shots.

Jeff Goldblum, Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy.
Not pictured: Veronica Cartwright and Brooke Adams.

The cast is a dream cast of vibrant, intense actors each who brings his or her own specialty to the mix. The script is intelligent too. The actors are so in-tuned to what they are doing that they seem like real people, which makes this even more creepy.

What a great Sci Fi Horror flick!
+