Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

I had to see this. I think I saw it as a kid (for whatever reason) and remembered nothing of it. My favorite part was the ending and Mrs. Voorhees. Overall, it was a fun film that give

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

I watched this when I was 14 or 15 years old and it was time to watch it again! One of the most iconic movies of the 80s and one of the most iconic characters of all time! The ending scene where they open the Ark is gold, and I had forgotten about the truck scene, amazing!
Also, so much humour in the most unlikely places!

8/10

Make a better place

Blue Jasmine (2013)

Watched this yesterday, and can't get it off my mind. When it ended I thought it was good, but not better than Midnight in Paris. Yet I think I might be falling in love, and I can't wait to rewatch it.
Finally somebody that appreciate Midnight in Paris

probably my favorite Woody Allen movie

In Cold Blood (1967)

I didn't think I was going to like this after the first 20 minutes or so, as I was expecting more of a thriller. This true crime story requires a little patience, and if you've got that, it pays off. The scene that depicts the murders, while not graphically shown, is very upsetting. Robert Blake is a standout as one of the killers.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
In Cold Blood (1967)

I didn't think I was going to like this after the first 20 minutes or so, as I was expecting more of a thriller. This true crime story requires a little patience, and if you've got that, it pays off. The scene that depicts the murders, while not graphically shown, is very upsetting. Robert Blake is a standout as one of the killers.

Love that movie. If you are a reader, you should really read the book too. I was very obsessed with that story.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Finally somebody that appreciate Midnight in Paris

probably my favorite Woody Allen movie
I agree. I thought that it was superior to Annie Hall in particular.

As Above So Below (2014)

Very original and frightening idea. Unfortunately the execution was so poor as was the development of its idea. It's like they got the idea and just wanted it "out there" asap. As a short film cut to about 15-20 minutes this might have been really good. But as an entire movie? Not at all.

Many clichés and stupid, dull, underdeveloped and unbelievable characters, as well as a actiondriven plot. Meaning that the only way this movie could move on was if the characters were ubelieveably stupid and the most predictable happened. The positive was that, although many scenes created "fake intensity" there were a few scenes and periods were I was pretty entertained and was on the edge of my seat. But it was not that often since if you don't buy into the story, you don't dive into the movie and you won't get truly captivated by it...

-

Lucy (2014)

This is the movie responsible for the rise in the number of "top 10 myths about our bodies" lists all over the internet. It works on a premise that we humans only use 10% of our brain, and if we could use 100% of it, we would unlock a huge potential and do some crazy stuff.

Well, sadly, it's exactly what it is: a myth. If you find yourself surprised by this statement, don't feel bad, I myself believed it for many years, and so did many of the people I know.

The point is: the entire premise of the movie, its principal idea around which the plot revolves, is critically flawed. So what else is there for one to enjoy? Well, I wish I could say that the movie is cleverly written, that it presents some interesting scientific theories but... not really.

The movie attempts to be suspenseful by having a powerful villain who tries to hunt Lucy down throughout the story. It's entirely pointless. Lucy got to him at the beginning. She could have killed him there and then but all she did is put knives through his hands. It's not like she didn't want to become a murderer or anything because she had killed off many of his bodyguards beforehand. The villain, then, is left alive for the painful convenience of the lazy writers.

As for the scientific stuff, I should say that most of the things spoken by Star Trek actors actually make some sense to me. All the explanations given by Lucy and some of the things that happened to her, on the other hand, confuse me like hell, so either I'm way too dumb to understand the first thing about it (and given the lazy writing, somehow this doesn't seem to be the case), or it's all just a bunch of gibberish.

It was probably hoped that throwing some big names at the movie would take care of the acting aspect. Scarlet Johansson, though, was only allowed to act until her character has taken in the drugs upon which moment she turns into a lifeless doll till the rest of the movie. I blame the director for that. As for Morgan Freeman, he's as godly as ever, but he's not given enough screen time.

Redeeming values? The special effects were great, even if unnecessary in some parts, and unintentionally hilarious in others (Lucy literally does an impression of "I'm firing mah lazor!" by the end.) Yeah, that's about it.

The way this review is going, you're probably making an assumption already that this is a horrible, worthless movie. It isn't. It's not good by any means but watching it might not be a complete waste of time as it still works as a simple popcorn flick with some suspense, even if artificial.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Lilies of the Field (1963)

This is a light drama starring Sidney Poitier as a man who helps a group of nuns, who believe that he was sent to them by God, build a church. It has enough comic moments in it to be fun to watch, but it's not really a comedy. And for the Star Trek fans, it has Stanley Adams who you should recognize as Cyrano Jones from "The Trouble with Tribbles".

I wouldn't consider this one of my favorite movies, but it's a good movie, and definitely worth watching.

Welcome to the human race...
Gangs of New York

Currently see-sawing between
and
. Probably my favourite of all the diCaprio-Scorsese collaborations, though it helps that Daniel Day-Lewis has such an electrifying screen presence. Excellent production design on display as well.

Tom Jones (1963)

Tom Jones is a comedy/adventure starring Albert Finney in the title role. I'm not always a fan of these types of period films, and unfortunately this one was no exception for me. It's a nice romance with more than it's share of unique comic scenes, especially when they break the fourth wall, and it's a decent adventure movie as well, but it just seemed to be lacking something for me.

The actors do a great job, and the story is pretty good, so can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it, but my guess is that most people will like this movie more than I did, so if it sounds like your kind of movie, then I would suggest that you give it a chance.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963)

Of the three movies from 1963 that I watched last night, this one was definitely my favorite. I've been a big fan of the TV series of the same name for as long as I can remember, so this kind of feels like a remake of the TV series that doesn't quite live up to the original for me, but this is a great movie.

In most cases, I preferred the TV actors to the movie actors, but Glenn Ford and little Ron Howard both give top-notch performances, as does Shirley Jones as the neighbor, and potential love interest for Eddie's father, Tom. Although Ron Howard as Eddie is a little bit too whiny for me at times, he clearly shows why he was one of the best child actors of his generation.

For those of you who remember the TV show, be forewarned that this version of Eddie's Father is not quite as likable as Bill Bixby and Brandon Cruz in the TV version, but if you can avoid the pitfall of comparing the two, you should enjoy the movie.

+

Wild Strawberries

This is my 8th Bergman film. I don't think he is a director that I will ever be able to properly put into words. So far, with only one exception, I respond very strongly to his characters. The way he explores relationships, spirituality, death, and just our humanity in general is poetic and beautiful. I don't know if his movies will ever be among my most re-watchable or absolute favorites. I will however eventually see every single one of his films and they will occupy my mind till I see the next. What an amazing film maker.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I got respect for Bergman, which is weird because I really disliked Cries and Whispers. I can't wait to see my sixth Bergman.

Let's Be Cops (2014)

Damon Wayans Jr. and Jake Johnson have potential to be the next big comedy movie stars. Their chemistry in this film is solid.

The script, however, is a series of hits and misses.

I laughed half the time.

Sex Tape (2014)

Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel were great in Bad Teacher, which in my opinion is one of the best comedies in recent years.

Sex Tape, unfortunately, is not so good. In fact, it's forgettable. Even hilarious scene-stealing cameos by Rob Lowe and Jack Black couldn't save it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Gangs of New York

Currently see-sawing between
and
. Probably my favourite of all the diCaprio-Scorsese collaborations, though it helps that Daniel Day-Lewis has such an electrifying screen presence. Excellent production design on display as well.
I loved the way the movie looks. I'm really into the history of New York so that aspect of the movie really appeals to me.

Welcome to the human race...
Insomnia -

Christopher Nolan's remake of a Norwegian thriller that centres on Al Pacino's detective trying to solve a murder in a part of Alaska where the sunlight is constant even at night makes for a decent enough follow-up to Memento, even if it does ultimately come across as a fairly mundane murder mystery. Enough twists and turns to keep it interesting, then there's the inclusion of Robin Williams as the villain of the piece. I thought this film could've benefited from making Williams' presence an unadvertised twist (like Kevin Spacey's role in Se7en) but his work here is good - certainly a good counter to Pacino's all-too-familiar turn as a gruff and constantly tired copper.