(american) censorship

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
that's the good thing about censorship, right Holden?, it makes censors ridiculous and evrybody laugh.........

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by mack
Deadly obvious point: sex is taboo in america. Things are changing, but put simply not that fast.

Sex is timeless.

But in times prior, the sexuality was always under wrap, lock and key. In a word: taboo. Other countries have already been through the evolutionary period that destroyed the taboo-ness (is that even a word? ) of sex. We havent, arent, and are still evolving.

It seems straightforward to me.
Sex is not taboo at all in the sense of using it to sell things or joking about it. Just look at all the action hero broads running about with their **** flopping and ass shacking while they go beat up the badguys. That's all sex being used to sell tickets to horny teenage boys and their girlfriends who enjoy seeing them get off to that garbage. But yes sex is taboo in taking the issue seriously or actually showing real sexiness like a Marlene Dietrich or someone like that.

So it's only taboo in certain uses. In other uses it's used as casually and frequently as saying hello.

And violence has been way dumbed down for today's movie too just like the seriousness of sex has. The 70's were the most violent decade for movies, and I'm talking American movies here, and from there they became a more sterille and cleaner violence with higher body counts but less realism and graphicness. The Rambo II effect really. Now we have body counts in movies by the thousands mostly in stupid PG-13 rated fluff whether it be the new X-Men movie or the new Bourne whatever garbage. But most of today's censorship comes in expanding the possible audience of a movie since quality has not one iota of importance today. Money's all that matters, instead of making a good movie that makes money. It's a lot easier to make a bad one than a good one.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

We live in democracy, freedom of speech, movement, and everything you can imagine. I think there should be some censorship but not so much that people can't choose what they see. People must chosse what's right for themselves, instad of the government choosinf for them. One problem with freedoms, people want more freedoms over and over - they get to want more...

history *is* moralizing
like a Russian author said after moving to the States. "i moved from a place where one's not allowed to say anything to another where one's allowed to say anything and it's pointless."

pointless? elaborate, please.

history *is* moralizing
uh, sorry, i'm not him. maybe twas rather "useless"??? i liked the sentence though, must be my skindeep pessimism.

When you live in a melting pot somethings gonna melt.

history *is* moralizing
i keep wondering... in The Myth of Fingerprints (marvelous movie, don't understand the critics saying that movie was about nothing), Julianne Moore is shagging with her husband in their train compartment. we see them from outside, just the upper body of Julianne is visible, and she's dressed. so why the hell would they cut this scene when i saw that movie again on TV?
1) no nudity involved
2) no "good morality" in question, since she is with her *husband*!

is it because it's a (semi-)public place? isn't a train compartment even more acceptable than a car?
this is an example of censorship that cuts out a scene which was important for defining the characters and the kind of relationship they have with each other. really something else than cutting out a scene with a woman taking a shower for instance, which really might not be so important for the plot.
(even if Will Smith insists on his showing his butt in I, Robot while taking a shower as being important, since it shows that the main character is paranoid and would never close the door to take a shower - he's got a point, although...)