Vote 2008. Presidential Race

Tools    

Ok, so what do you think so far?

I have to say that I am very impressed by Barack Obama. He's political superstar material, I mean on a global scale. This is the guy who can close the gap between America and the rest of the world.
We're talking about a country that voted for Bush twice in a row, somehow I get the feeling a black man won't exactly repeat the same feat any time in the near future...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Ok, so what do you think so far?

I have to say that I am very impressed by Barack Obama. He's political superstar material, I mean on a global scale. This is the guy who can close the gap between America and the rest of the world.

I'm not impressed by him at all. He's incredibly generic to me. Almost like a figure head. He's a great speaker, but I'm afraid that's all he is. He's great at speaking without saying anything at all.

I'd rather have him than Clinton, but at this point, I'd rather see a non-Mike Huckabee republican get it.

Mike Gravel is the only man who has a set of balls who's offering real solutions. The only reason he won't win is because he's not a celebrity politician which is what you have to be nowadays.

Damn shame.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

We're talking about a country that voted for Bush twice in a row, somehow I get the feeling a black man won't exactly repeat the same feat any time in the near future...
Right, because we Republicans hate black people. Nevermind Colin Powell, who's had to endure countless people in the party trying to persuade him to run over the years.

On the Democratic side, I, too, am quite impressed with Obama. I disagree with him on many, many issues, but there's no denying that he is a wonderful orator, and has more personal integrity, than some of his opponents. His steadfast refusal to play the "race card" is politically shrewd, but also the right thing to do. He's taken the high road at almost every turn, and he deserves to be commended for it.
You're right. He is shrewd. He would lose votes if he did play the race card. He's not stupid. He knows just by running, he's playing the race card - or rather other people (the media) are playing it for him. Of course you're going to have an Oprah come out and endorse a candidate that could potentially be our first black president. In this case you have Oprah supporting the black ticket instead of the female ticket.

Like I said, I haven't been that impressed with him. And I certainly don't want another CLinton.

Right, because we Republicans hate black people. Nevermind Colin Powell, who's had to endure countless people in the party trying to persuade him to run over the years.
Was he an elected official?

That is not actually true. The youth vote comprises about 25% of the total vote. That is a significant number and that is based on the last election 4 years ago. As i understand it even more are involved this election. Also, the lack of previous interest from the youth is not a reflection of an inherent disability in them but rather a flaw in the candidates. Whose to say that the proper candidate can't sway most of the youth into voting? Never say never, especially in these strange times.
And if youth trends and popular opinion is going to sway the election... God help us.

Lord knows we want people who waste money on crap like Meet the Spartans and Saw IV voting for the next leader of our country.

Honestly, I'd rather they not vote if they're going to go for the "cool" and "hip" factor to spark their interest.

Was he an elected official?
No, he was appointed. But he had tremendous public support.

That's quite obviously beside the point, however, as I'm still waiting for you to explain the apparent link between voting for Bush and racism. Or do you think it's okay to level staggering accusations without any reasoning (let alone evidence)?

No, he was appointed. But he had tremendous public support.

That's quite obviously beside the point, however, as I'm still waiting for you to explain the apparent link between voting for Bush and racism. Or do you think it's okay to level staggering accusations without any reasoning (let alone evidence)?
I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of racists in your country are in fact conservatives=republicans. I'd love for you people to prove me wrong and vote for Obama, but as I said, I have a feeling that's not likely to happen. We shall see...

Oh and don't get your knickers in a twist sir, my opinion of your country (or rather the majority of its citizens) just isn't very high as of late... If it makes you feel better, a black man will sooner become the president of the U.S. than of Croatia, which speaks how highly I think of my own compatriots...

I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of racists in your country are in fact conservatives=republicans. I'd love for you people to prove me wrong and vote for Obama, but as I said, I have a feeling that's not likely to happen. We shall see...

Oh and don't get your knickers in a twist sir, my opinion of your country (or rather the majority of its citizens) just isn't very high as of late... If it makes you feel better, a black man will sooner become the president of the U.S. than of Croatia, which speaks how highly I think of my own compatriots...

How is voting for Obama directly related to not being a racist? I don't get it. Surely being the open minded person you are, you wouldn't expect a white person to vote for a black person to prove they're not racist. How idiotic would that be?

I'd vote for Gravel, who is a white damn near 80-year old codger before Obama who is a young hip black idea-less figurehead of a candidate.

I am having a nervous breakdance
As some of you already know, I'm a big fan of John McCain. Not just his personal story of heroism (which is tremendous), but the courage he's exhibited throughout his entire political career. He's stood up to the party establishment time after time, and has a remarkable track record of reaching across the aisle to forge compromises.

Most importantly, however, is that of all the candidates in the race, he has the most sterling credentials on foreign policy. He has been consistent (and consistently right) on the most important international issues. You can find, for example, a YouTube clip from 2000 in which he expresses concern about Putin, and where his administration might be headed. He supported the Iraq war, but was among the first to criticize the strategy employed and support the troop surge (and accompanying shift in strategy) which has helped to dramatically reduce violence there.

I have my problems with him, to be sure, but his personal integrity, and his repeated willingness to make independent choices, has completely won me over.

On the Democratic side, I, too, am quite impressed with Obama. I disagree with him on many, many issues, but there's no denying that he is a wonderful orator, and has more personal integrity, than some of his opponents. His steadfast refusal to play the "race card" is politically shrewd, but also the right thing to do. He's taken the high road at almost every turn, and he deserves to be commended for it.

The prospect of a McCain-Obama matchup in the general election has me very excited. I think both men would go to great lenghts to highlight their differences, but I think the campaign would be far more civilized and substantive than we've head in quite awhile.

Of course, as a conservative, the prospect of a McCain-Clinton matchup is exciting as well, but for vastly different reasons. Namely, because it could produce a double-digit margin for the former.
Nice post.

I guess I agree with you but in reverse. I, of course, feel more at home in the Obama camp than in the McCain camp, as I'm sure you would have guessed. But of the republican candidates McCain is probably the one I like the most. Up until just now I thought it was Rudy but his strategy so far has been surprisingly clumsy. He's just given away the ball to the other candidates. And I did think he would be a more left wing republican, or a liberal republican if you will, but I saw a speech he made the other day and he's clearly moved to the right, possibly to steal votes from the other more conservative candidates. It's ok to be all over the place as mayor of liberal NY, but when it comes to republican primaries you can't be vague about what party you represent. But McCain's kind of old, isn't he?

Obviously I haven't watched as many debates and political TV shows as you Americans but from what I've seen it appears as Obama kind of floats on top of the other candidates' somewhat aggressive style. He doesn't seem to be bothered in the same way. And I think what some of his critics view as a lack of political substance is actually a sign of his brilliance. While the other candidates are busy convincing the voters with various political arguments Obama is promoting himself as the next president just as if it was the most natural thing in the world. He's focusing on being a uniting force. "I AM the next president of the USA and you just have to look at me and listen to my voice to understand why". What people view as political inexperience I see as someone who hasn't yet been corrupted or cynical and I think it will be an advantage for him.

I think it's unfair to say that black people support Obama just because he's black. The way he manage to mobilize both young voters as well as both white and non-white voters shows that he has universal qualities that attract voters from all kinds of categories. And even if some people vote for him just because he's black I'm sure there are others who don't vote for him because of the same reason.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'd vote for Gravel, who is a white damn near 80-year old codger before Obama who is a young hip black idea-less figurehead of a candidate.
Because of just that or because of any other reason?

How is voting for Obama directly related to not being a racist? I don't get it. Surely being the open minded person you are, you wouldn't expect a white person to vote for a black person to prove they're not racist. How idiotic would that be?
Pretty idiotic. But I never suggested that so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

What I suggested was that there are a sh!tload of racists in your country and some of the apolitical ones may even be compelled to go out and vote against Obama if he ends up running for the president. Now seeing as how the majority of your citizens voted for Bush even after the disastrous Iraq war, that leads me to believe that you're more conservatively inclined than ever...I'm not saying it's gonna be a landslide if Obama does end up running, but those votes may prove to be crucial.

Also, I'd love to see the day when the official republican candidate is a member of an ethnic minority or a woman...:\

What I suggested was that there are a sh!tload of racists in your country

Yep.

A lot of them follow Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton. A lot of them make rap records too to underscore racial differences.

By the by, you sure it's just my country? I think I'd have said 'in the world'.

even after the disastrous Iraq war,

Also, I'd love to see the day when the official republican candidate is a member of an ethnic minority or a woman...:\
As opposed to a war that is undisastrous of course.

How many times in the past have the Dems had a minority as the offical nominated candidate? As Yoda mentioned before Powel would have gotten my vote had he ever run.

By the by, you sure it's just my country? I think I'd have said 'in the world'.
The rest of the world can't vote in the American elections so I think we'll exclude it for now...

As opposed to a war that is undisastrous of course.

How many times in the past have the Dems had a minority as the offical nominated candidate? As Yoda mentioned before Powel would have gotten my vote had he ever run.
"Disastrous" referred to the decision to invade a country half way across the world under false pretenses. Apparently being systematically lied to doesn't much matter to you people...:\

"Disastrous" referred to the decision to invade a country half way across the world under false pretenses. Apparently being systematically lied to doesn't much matter to you people...:\
Why does it matter that it is halfway across the world? Does that mean if Iraq were say - Cuba, it would be alright? I never did understand that argument. As I have stated before, this is nothing new in our government or any government, being lied to. Guess we got the copyright on that here in America.

Why does it matter that it is halfway across the world? Does that mean if Iraq were say - Cuba, it would be alright? I never did understand that argument. As I have stated before, this is nothing new in our government or any government, being lied to. Guess we got the copyright on that here in America.
It matters because that means it didn't pose an immediate threat to you, just like Vietnam didn't.

I'd be pretty pissed if I were blatantly lied to and I certainly wouldn't vote for those people again...but that's just me...

Man, you really paint with a broad brush don't you? The American populous can be understood with one big swipe called 'you people'.

You didn't read all of those links I put up the last time we discussed the legality of the war in Iraq and how it was backed and by whom. If you did, you wouldn't be using the same language you used before I posted them. It's either that or your stubborn refusal to believe in the actual evidence versus your own twisted version of the truth.

Mistakes were made, without a doubt but you can't on one hand say Bush is the stupidest person on the planet and on the other say he is capable of the most secretive and well executed military coup in the history of the world with an eye toward complete global domination.

The answer is always in the middle.

Well I just do not think it was blatant, misleading maybe, or in my opinon misled because the information was misleading. I think lies beget lies also, but then again I guess Sadam never lied, never signed a cease fire that was broken almost immediately.

As far as the race goes though, I am undecided. I am leaning more towards McCain, but if Obama can show me something before election day and he is an option still who knows.

I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of racists in your country are in fact conservatives=republicans.
I have absolutely no idea where you picked that up but it couldn't be further from the truth. What the hell are you reading/watching anyways? For someone who seeks to be fairly judged you certainly have trouble reciprocating.

I'd love for you people to prove me wrong and vote for Obama, but as I said, I have a feeling that's not likely to happen. We shall see...
So to oppose Obama philosophically regardless of his skin color and not vote for him makes me a racist in your eyes? I think that makes me the opposite of racist because I can clearly articulate WHY I would vote against him and which of his stances I disagree with whatever color his skin happens to be.

I won't be voting for him just to prove I'm not a racist which would be, according to your post, the wisest choice.