Are these female lead remakes are getting out of hand now?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty sure you know I meant the government in the world of Blade Runner but whatevs.

So if neither government or big business in incorruptible what makes you think the takedown of capitalism would lead to better results for the working class?

Better question in relation to the topic. What keeps a capitalist like me from enjoying a movie about an evil corporation as opposed to an evil government?
Yes, in hindsight it should've been more obvious to me that Reagan would (hopefully) not be in power in 2019, though I did recognise the implication that you meant an "evil government" that did not necessarily subscribe to right-wing/pro-capitalist ideals.

I think there's the matter of how an uneven distribution of resources and finances results in less-than-ideal conditions for the working class and how capitalism allows (or even encourages) that imbalance to exist in order to thrive.

As for your other question - I would say it's because an evil corporation is an obvious indictment of a specific economic philosophy whereas an evil government can theoretically be depicted as vague enough in its actual politics that one could personally project whatever politics they like (or don't like, rather) onto it. It's like vampires - do they represent modern/foreign decadence that'll destroy humankind by undermining the traditional values that society is founded on or do they represent antiquated isolationist notions that continue to impede the continued development and survival of humankind? Something like that, anyway.

As for your other question - I would say it's because an evil corporation is an obvious indictment of a specific economic philosophy whereas an evil government can theoretically be depicted as vague enough in its actual politics that one could personally project whatever politics they like (or don't like, rather) onto it..
To think big government can be depicted as vague but a big corporation cannot shows that you are totally coming at this from your own point of view. Which is completely fine. In fact I think it proves the point of how subjective all of this is and to shows how silly calling someone out for loving a movie that doesn't 100% jive with their politics truly is. I just am not sure how you argue the opposite with a straight face. I actually think you probably don't, but that's fine to.

I thought we were talking about "evil government" as opposed to "big government"; that you apparently think they are interchangeable also says a lot about your point of view.

Besides, I covered this in my most recent response to Yoda and I understand that defining one's opinion entirely by how politically agreeable one finds it is more than a little impractical, but I still think it is worth noticing when the overlap between a person's politics and the politics of a movie they like are much closer to 0% than they are to 100%. At the very least, I will find it curious and want to hear their reasoning.

I thought we were talking about "evil government" as opposed to "big government"; that you apparently think they are interchangeable also says a lot about it
That's what you call a Freudian slip, but yes it does. I bring my POV to everything.

Besides, I covered this in my most recent response to Yoda and I understand that defining one's opinion entirely by how politically agreeable one finds it is more than a little impractical, but I still think it is worth noticing when the overlap between a person's politics and the politics of a movie they like are much closer to 0% than they are to 100%. At the very least, I will find it curious and want to hear their reasoning.
Calling Blade Runner closer to 100% than 0% is more than a stretch in my opinion. Honestly, when you called Sedai out on that it took me a few minutes of thinking to come up with why you picked that movie. If his favorite film was Capitialism A Love Story I would be on board with your premise. The big and evil corporation (see what I did there) as reigning supreme in a dystopian future is something that I would consider a trope at this point. I am sure there are political undertones there, but honestly it brushes right past me with seeing it so many times. Maybe that makes me a less than thoughtful viewer , but I choose to think I just respond to character and tone more than I do subtext.

I think you would see my point if I called you out as a social progressive for having TGTBATU as one of your favorites. That film obviously glorifies the white alpha male as reigning supreme while treating the characters of color as either evil or dumb.

That's what you call a Freudian slip, but yes it does. I bring my POV to everything.
Evidently.

Calling Blade Runner closer to 100% than 0% is more than a stretch in my opinion. Honestly, when you called Sedai out on that it took me a few minutes of thinking to come up with why you picked that movie. If his favorite film was Capitialism A Love Story I would be on board with your premise. The big and evil corporation (see what I did there) as reigning supreme in a dystopian future is something that I would consider a trope at this point. I am sure there are political undertones there, but honestly it brushes right past me with seeing it so many times. Maybe that makes me a less than thoughtful viewer , but I choose to think I just respond to character and tone more than I do subtext.
Which again begs the question as to whether or not you should treat these concepts as mutually exclusive, especially when the subtext (that is even spelled out in the actual text at times) is what informs so much of what makes character and tone resonate.

I think you would see my point if I called you out as a social progressive for having TGTBATU as one of your favorites. That film obviously glorifies the white alpha male as reigning supreme while treating the characters of color as either evil or dumb.
And I refer you back to the previous page where I already acknowledged this and even Yoda, who reached the same conclusion independently, agreed with me enough about it to leave it be. Even so, I question that take on the film since the unquestionably irredeemable "bad" character is also a "white alpha male" who acts in a far more violent and monstrous (i.e. "alpha") manner in the name of nothing more than his personal greed while the "good" and "ugly" characters are at least shown to have some sympathetic qualities when they're not constantly screwing one another over out of personal reasons.

@Iroquois I suppose I could throw out movies and why I think they reflect my values. Then you could give me reasons why their themes have more grey area than Blade Runner. I don't really want to though and I am sure you don't either. I will just be over here wishing I was as clear eyed as his majesty.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Evidently.

Which again begs the question as to whether or not you should treat these concepts as mutually exclusive, especially when the subtext (that is even spelled out in the actual text at times) is what informs so much of what makes character and tone resonate.

And I refer you back to the previous page where I already acknowledged this and even Yoda, who reached the same conclusion independently, agreed with me enough about it to leave it be. Even so, I question that take on the film since the unquestionably irredeemable "bad" character is also a "white alpha male" who acts in a far more violent and monstrous (i.e. "alpha") manner in the name of nothing more than his personal greed while the "good" and "ugly" characters are at least shown to have some sympathetic qualities when they're not constantly screwing one another over out of personal reasons.
Which characters were of color though, in TGTBATU? I thought every character was very similar to the same color, or at least not too far different. Every character in the movie is reasonably smart, no?

It's just Hollywood trying to be neutral and politically correct. Nowadays, almost every TV show features an unrealistic diversity of characters. There's a homosexual, a vegan, a minority, an elder, a fat person, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with diversity, but in real life, there isn't one of each in every police department, like on those cops shows. Nor in every circle of friends.

As for remakes in particular, women often just aren't suited to the roles. WRT The Ghostbusters, thinking "hey, let's quit our jobs to hunt down ghosts!" is so typically male.

Not a fan of modern remakes anyway. That's all the big movie industries have resorted to, well that and rehashing. Everything else is a Marvel movie.

@Iroquois I suppose I could throw out movies and why I think they reflect my values. Then you could give me reasons why their themes have more grey area than Blade Runner. I don't really want to though and I am sure you don't either. I will just be over here wishing I was as clear eyed as his majesty.
That would probably be the case, and like I said before, I'm not immune to this either, but I'm at least going to try to think of a good explanation first.

Which characters were of color though, in TGTBATU? I thought every character was very similar to the same color, or at least not too far different. Every character in the movie is reasonably smart, no?
Tuco is definitely a Latino Mexican (at one point he comments on how much easier Blondie's white skin will burn in the sun) so it stands out when he's the only one played as a blustery fool compared to the coolly collected Blondie and Angel Eyes (both of whom frequently comment on his apparent lack of intelligence compared to them, like Angel Eyes telling Blondie that he's too smart to be tortured, unlike Tuco).

It's just Hollywood trying to be neutral and politically correct. Nowadays, almost every TV show features an unrealistic diversity of characters. There's a homosexual, a vegan, a minority, an elder, a fat person, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with diversity, but in real life, there isn't one of each in every police department, like on those cops shows. Nor in every circle of friends.
I guess you wouldn't know for sure unless you went around to every single police department to verify it, though - if anything, the idea of a police department without any minorities in it sounds like they have a good chance of turning out to be horror-movie villains.

As for remakes in particular, women often just aren't suited to the roles. WRT The Ghostbusters, thinking "hey, let's quit our jobs to hunt down ghosts!" is so typically male.
As I recall, they don't deliberately quit their jobs in the original but get fired instead so they're effectively forced to resort to ghost-busting (whereas this only happens to one or two of the remake's Ghostbusters), so there's nothing "typically male" about how the Ghostbusters get started.

Not a fan of modern remakes anyway. That's all the big movie industries have resorted to, well that and rehashing. Everything else is a Marvel movie.
Ah, remakes and comic book serials have always been a thing. Bullitt came out the same year that a musical adaptation of Oliver Twist won Best Picture, after all.

I guess you wouldn't know for sure unless you went around to every single police department to verify it, though - if anything, the idea of a police department without any minorities in it sounds like they have a good chance of turning out to be horror-movie villains.

As I recall, they don't deliberately quit their jobs in the original but get fired instead so they're effectively forced to resort to ghost-busting (whereas this only happens to one or two of the remake's Ghostbusters), so there's nothing "typically male" about how the Ghostbusters get started.

Ah, remakes and comic book serials have always been a thing. Bullitt came out the same year that a musical adaptation of Oliver Twist won Best Picture, after all.
I have been at some police departments, and I live in a racially diverse state mind you. I have three cops in the family. From what I've seen, 90% of the cops were white guys with either bald or shaved heads.

Oh yes, you're right about The Ghostbusters. The thing that was typically male was them deciding to capture ghosts for a living, and to reside in an old firehouse. Only guys would come up with some crazy idea like that.

I didn't say I hate remakes. I said I hate most modern remakes. And I don't like any comic book movies except for the original Superman.

A lot of cops being white guys with shaved heads, huh? Not gonna touch that one.

Also, it's weird to think that "only guys" would come up with an idea as crazy as busting ghosts for a living.

A lot of cops being white guys with shaved heads, huh? Not gonna touch that one.

Also, it's weird to think that "only guys" would come up with an idea as crazy as busting ghosts for a living.
Not weird. Realistic.

It's the same where I live it seems that 70% or more of cops are white guys with shaved heads. Why do they shave their heads, are they that concerned about having their hair pulled, even if it's short hair?

Tuco is definitely a Latino Mexican (at one point he comments on how much easier Blondie's white skin will burn in the sun) so it stands out when he's the only one played as a blustery fool compared to the coolly collected Blondie and Angel Eyes (both of whom frequently comment on his apparent lack of intelligence compared to them, like Angel Eyes telling Blondie that he's too smart to be tortured, unlike Tuco).
But the filmmakers of TGTBATU are Italian, in an Italian film industry and Italian people have latin mixed in with them as well. So why would they aim to make Tuco dumb, because he is Latino if that's the case?

It's the same where I live it seems that 70% or more of cops are white guys with shaved heads. Why do they shave their heads, are they that concerned about having their hair pulled, even if it's short hair?
I think it's less about having it pulled than just about it getting in their eyes or interfering somehow. I presume it's mostly for the same reason soldiers wear their hair short.

Oh okay. I thought that the shaved head look, looks kind of "punk-ish" for police officers, but maybe that's just me.

Oh okay. I thought that the shaved head look, looks kind of "punk-ish" for police officers, but maybe that's just me.
It's almost part of their "uniform". It's how they identify with each other and the police force. It's like back in the '70s when many cops had mustaches.

I guess. I wouldn't shave my head if I were a cop, it's just too weird.