The Gunslinger45's top 50 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
I'm enjoying your list so far, absolutely love Ikiru, M, Die Hard and one of my favourite comedies ever, Tropic Thunder. Not really a fan of the schlocky B movie horrors you have but good to see some under appreciated movies finally making the rounds.

and I am back. Let us resume!

The Boondock Saints: 1999 (R)
USA / Franchise Pictures
20%
The Boondock Saints is a movie that often met with mixed feelings among film buffs. For some, it is a fun action film with some cool characters with some awesome dialogue. For others it is a film derivative of other films (Death Wish and the like) while trying to capture the feel of a Tarantino crime film without his dialogue. Then again anyone who knows me in person knows that I do not like Tarantino’s movies, especially due to the dialogue. But I will admit the plot is very simple. The McManus brothers (nicknamed the Saints) played by Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus embark on what they think is their new calling, killing scum bags everywhere they find them. That is the entirety of the movie. There is nothing really deeper to the movie, it is a collection of scenes where the Saints find some bad guys and they kill them. This is very similar to the structure of the Death Wish movies with Charles Bronson, except Bronson’s character gets more of a character arc in his film. And since Death Wish was a simple rape/revenge film; that does say something about this movie. But unlike Bronson’s character, the McManus brothers are far more entertaining and have a very strong supporting cast. Il Duce is played fantastically well by Billy Connelly, Willem DaFoe is excellent as the brilliant and openly gay FBI Agent Smecker, and Dolly, Duffy, and Greenly play the very humorous trio of Boston’s "finest" detectives. Even the bad guys have great casting, even casting Ron Jeremy as a very sleazy Mafioso. In addition to the great casting, the gun fight scenes are very well shot and choreographed in slow motion and the score for the movie is pretty damn awesome. And having Smecker at the crime scenes narrate how the killings went down with him walking around in the scene I thought was a very creative choice for the movie. And the scene where he screams out “THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT” is actually one of my favorite scenes of all time. The plot is not the strongest, and it is not the most original concept for a movie, but in terms of the number of cool characters and entertainment, it is hard to beat in my humble opinion. But just as interesting as the movie is the documentary Overnight, which shows director Troy Duffy’s start from having one of the hottest script in LA, and showing his hubris and self destruction before he was even able to hit the big time. Kind of shows why it took 8 years to make Boondock Saints II. That being said, it is my number 27 favorite movie.

Goodfellas: 1990 (R)
USA / Warner Brothers
97% (CF)
About as far back as I can remember I was always a big fan of movies and TV. And while I do not watch much TV anymore save for the news, TV still had its influences growing up. One of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid was the Spielberg produced Animaniacs. One of the shorts featured on the show was a group of three pigeons called the Goodfeathers, and I thought they were funny as hell. I was around ten or so, and I found out that this segment of the show was based off a movie. So naturally I had to see the movie. And thus was my first introduction to Martin Scorsese. And OH BOY was this a lot more violent then the cartoon! The film follows the rise and fall of real life gangster Henry Hill, played in the movie by Ray Liotta. His rise is coincided with the rise of two other mob guys, his friend and mentor Jimmy Conway (De Niro) and Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci). They show the lure and seductive aspect of the gangster life. They do heists (including the big Air France Robbery), extortions, beatings, shake downs, and one occasion,they whack a made man due to Tommy's temper. NEVER mention a shine box to Joe Pesci! And whats more, they keep getting away with it. Henry eventually gets married and starts a life with his new bride. But all is not happy as eventually the good times come to an end, and this leads to Henry’s fall from grace from the mob. This is a fantastic gangster picture told from the prospective of the main character in a narrative voice over format. He is basically telling us the viewer his life and how he lived it. He tells what was good, what was bad, and where it went wrong. Ray Liotta was great as Henry Hill, and he had an excellent supporting cast since De Niro and Pesci give in fantastic performances. De Niro played upon macho persona that he created from movies like Raging Bull. Pesci also turns in an outstanding performance as the violent tempered and homicidal Tommy. Pesci even walked away with the Oscar for best supporting actor. It is an epic piece of crime drama and it is masterfully crafted by Scorsese himself. It is a fantastic movie with great characters, a great story, great sound track, and lots of memorable lines and scenes. My first, but not my last Scorsese film I have seen. And it is number 26 on my list.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: 1991 (R)
USA / Tri Star Pictures
98 % (CF)
Like I said, Schwarzenegger is at his very best when his roles cater to his limited acting chops. The Terminator was a big hit, so naturally a sequel was planned. But holy hell did the makers of this movie up the ante in the sequel! They made everything bigger! Bigger budget, bigger action, bigger stakes, and a new and more intimidating villain. And Arnie reprises his role, but this time he has been sent back in time to protect John Conner from the newest Skynet killing machine, the T-1000 (Robert Patrick). And the movie is a giant action movie that is one of the cases where in my opinion the sequel is by far superior to the original. The original Terminator film had less emphasis on Arnie and more on Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton. And while Michael Biehn is a better actor and Kyle Reese was an uber bad ass character, a movie like Terminator 2 needs to focus primarily on Schwarzenegger. And the special effects were greatly improved. The original had a certain scene in which a robot with a Schwarzenegger face wad cutting out his eye that is damaged. And while it is cool, it does look very dated. There were several breakthroughs in special effects in making this movie, especially with the liquid metal villain the T-1000. From his hands turning into stabbing weapons to his face getting blown in half by a shotgun round you can tell a lot of work was put into these effects. Half of the effects were practical effects like prosthetic make ups and other half special effects done with CGI. And while the CGI is dated in this movie as well, Terminator 2’s effects still hold up pretty well. Arnie was great, his relationship with John was very touching, and Linda Hamilton is transformed from terrified waitress in the first movie, to hard ass in the second! And all the action is done to one of the greatest themes of all time. And it was a lot of fun to watch! And it is my 25th favorite movie of all time.

Ben-Hur: 1959 (G)
USA / MGM
89%
Ben-Hur is an adaptation of a novel written by Lew Wallace called Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ. To be even more precise it is a remake of the 1925 silent film also made by MGM. So it is a remake of a movie which was an adaptation of the book inspired by The Bible. Charlton Heston plays Jewish Prince Judah Ben-Hur, who is the head of the house of Hur. The movie follows his journeys from life in Judea, imprisonment, and his eventual return home all the while intercut with his several encounters with a mysterious new prophet who turns out to be Jesus Christ. This is a religious themed movie, but the religious content is not thrown in your face or forced on you. Hell, Jesus is not the main focus. He comes and goes throughout the movie. You peek in during his travels, you see his Sermon on the Mount, his trial, and you see his crucifixion. But Jesus is not on screen long during any of those times, but when he is on screen you feel it. You never see Christ’s face or hear him speak. In fact most of the shots of him are from behind. But you don’t have to see his face or hear him speak. The look on the characters who encounter Jesus faces tell all the details and expresses all the emotions the viewer needs. The ability to do so with very little screen time is a credit to the production as well as the source material. Heston is fantastic as always, and you believe his friendship with Boyd’s Messala is genuine, which makes his betrayal all the more dramatic. You feel Ben-Hur’s pain when he learns of the fate of his mother and sister, and you genuinely feel the hate in his heart when he talks about Messala. The sets are huge and multiple in scale. You have Jerusalem, the ships in the sea that are attacked by pirates, Rome, the Coliseum where the chariot race takes place, the Leapers den, and more! Each set has painstaking detail put into every inch! It is no wonder that the cost of this movie reached $15 million dollars, which made it the most expensive movie at that time. But it raked in the money at the box office earning $74 million dollars domestically and $147 million dollars worldwide upon its initial release. It also cleaned up at the Oscars, nominated for 12 Academy Awards and winning 11, including Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor and Best Director. It only lost in the category of Best Adapted Screenplay, which went to A Room at the Top. It is a tale of revenge, hatred, and redemption. Epic and inspirational, it is also my 24th favorite movie.

Tokyo Story: 1953 (NR)
Japan/ Shochiku Eiga
100%
I have a deep love for Japanese cinema and this movie is not only among the greatest Japanese films, but one of the greatest of cinema as a whole, and is considered director Yasujiro Ozu’s masterpiece. The story follows an elderly couple from the rural town of Onomichi. The grandfather Shukishi (Chishu Ryu) and his wife Tomi (Chieko Higashiyama) are leaving their home to visit their adult children in post war Tokyo. They have a son who is married and is a doctor, they have a daughter who is a beautician, and they have a daughter in law who is the widow to their son who died in WWII. They also see their son who lives in Osaka. To try and describe the plot any further I think does a disservice to the emotional response to the film invokes. The film examines the generational gap, it looks at the relationship between parents and their children, how they drift away from their parents as they age, the heartbreaking way the parents and their widowed daughter interact, and the importance of family bonds. It is such a beautiful movie that does so much with so very little. This is not an epic odyssey, it is not a big budget action movie, and it is not a raucous comedy. It is a very simple story of a family’s trip to see their kids. And you have to admire a movie that can elicit that kind of emotion off such a simple premise. It is a slow movie, but it never drags. In addition, the camera rarely moves. The shots are mostly static. But that only further enhances how good of a movie this is with doing so little and getting so much emotion. And the critical reception shows as this is often named among the greatest movies of all time in various critic polls. If you don’t mind foreign films then give it a shot. It is a beautiful experience of a movie and a must see for serious cinemaphiles. And it is my 23rd favorite movie.

The Hunt for Red October: 1990 (PG)
USA / Paramount
95% (CF)
I am a big fan of Cold War themed movies. It was a time period when the two biggest world powers were at odds. And even though the US and the Soviets never fought head to head, there was a gigantic chess match over global influence, political ideals, and weapons stocks. Each side developed new military crafts, bigger bombs, and space technology to have a leg up on the opposite side. A key part of the each side’s defense strategy were submarines, in particular those with thermonuclear missile capabilities. Each side had fleets of nuclear subs in the oceans keeping the other side in check. And it is this vessel that plays prominence in this movie. The movie is adapted from the book of the same name by Tom Clancy, and the story is set on a brand new submarine built by the Russians. The submarine called the Red October (named after the October Revolution which would bring Lenin to power) and is built upon a magnetohydrodynamic drive. This system would use no moving parts, which in turn makes no noise in the water thus is completely undetectable to sonar and cannot be defended against! In a Cold War environment the idea of such a weapon existing is terrifying, and the gravity of such a weapon is shown early in the movie when the Red October seemingly goes rogue and takes this new undetectable submarine on a course for the United States! Cold War tension reaches its peak in this movie which excellently shows the scale of what is at stake. The cast is excellent, Sean Connery plays Soviet Captain Marko Ramius quite well (even though he does not attempt an accent). Baldwin plays Ryan as a young man, young and inexperienced, which fits this story since this was the first novel Tom Clancy wrote that features this character. I won’t spoil the end, but it is a good one. I also really love the score for the movie, particularly the parts that are sung in Russian during certain naval battle scenes and also in the opening. The movie was also a big hit at the box office, and nabbed an Oscar for Best Sound Editing. Cold War drama on the high seas with The Hunt for Red October, and it is my 22nd favorite movie.

I'm also a sucker for these Cold War submarine flicks. The sausage-fest claustrophobia intensifies the drama.

I should watch Red October again because it's been a long time. Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman and Denzel was also pretty good. K-19: The Widowmaker too.

But none of them come close to the WWII drama Das Boot.

Edit: Just watched Red October. The movie didn't hold up for me. With each twist, meandering between bungling Soviets and save-the-day Americans, the plot became increasingly incredulous. As you alluded to, Sean Connery's Scottish accent - whether speaking Russian or English - was a distraction.

WARNING: "''" spoilers below
The final scene, with defecting Soviet commander Courtney quoting Christopher Columbus and CIA agent Alec Baldwin replying 'Welcome to the New World' was simply embarrassing.

Now I'd put Red October at the bottom of the pile of these submarine films.

Vertigo: 1958 (PG)
USA / Paramount (original) now Universal
98% (CF)
While I said that Fritz Lang laid the groundwork for the psychological thriller with M, the man who perfected the psychological thriller was Alfred Hitchcock. Vertigo begins with John “Scottie” Ferguson (James Stewart) an ex cop who suffers from acrophobia and depression. He is hired by his old friend Gavin (Tom Helmore) to follow his wife Madeline (Kim Novak) who is acting mysteriously. At this point of the movie you really try to figure out what is going one. Is Madeline faking it all? And if so what for? Is she loopy? Or is her alleged condition for real? You are racking your brain to figure out this movie! Things become even tenser as they investigate what is going on together and they begin to develop feelings for each other. But tragedy strikes, leading to one of the best plot twists I have ever seen in a movie! I dare not ruin the ending. Hitchcock’s technical prowess and ability to create suspense are on full display, particularly the dolly zoom which was used to show Scottie’s acrophobia. I never felt bored, as every moment is designed to illicit a response from the audience. The mystery of the first half draws you in and Kim Novak does an excellent job acting. She really sells the part and keeps the audience guessing. The twists in the movie are phenomenal and really add to the thrills this movie creates! The psychology of the movie really stands out as it looks at fear, mental illness, obsession, and it touches just a little on jealousy. Unfortunately the viewing public and critics dismissed the movie at first, but it has been re-examined and is now considered a classic and has even dethroned Citizen Kane as the best movie ever made in the 2012 Sights and Sounds critics poll! THAT is a noteworthy accomplishment! An impressive thrill ride and fantastic direction by the master of suspense himself, Vertigo is my 21st favorite movie.

The Road Warrior (AKA Mad Max 2): 1981 (R)
Australia / Warner Brothers
100%
This movie is basically a continuation of the Cold War themes I like. What happens after the bombs have dropped and the apocalypse is in full swing? And one of the movies that help define and greatly influence post apocalyptic movies was this Australian classic. A sequel to the original Mad Max, The Road Warrior starts where the last movie left off, Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson) driving off into the Outback desert after avenging the death of his murdered wife and son. Now roving groups of bandits ravage the Outback in search of food, supplies, and gasoline. Max is not too much different; doing what he can to survive. He encounters an eccentric aviator called the Gyro Captain who tells him of a location where there are people who have built a refinery to pump out oil to turn into gas, and that Max can go there to get as much as he wants. This naturally peaks Max’s interest, but this has also caught the attention of a motorized gang leader named Humungous and his gang of BDSM gear wearing raiders. The movie’s action scenes all use practical effects for their car chases, and all the stunts are done the old fashioned way, which is a welcome relief from the CGI horseshit of movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious. And the final showdown is enormous, lots of different vehicles, lots of suspense, lots of thrills and lots of fun. But the thing that is most notable about the movie is the production design, in particular the costumes. The look of the raiders is head to toe BDSM leather and the hair for the men is of punk rock origin. I don’t know if that was for symbolisms or not. Maybe it is supposed to show that after society collapsed these people have given into their baser instincts and have turned to raping and pillaging, and this pleasure for inflicting pain in symbolized in the leather man get up? Either that or the costume designer was in a rush and grabbed the stuff of the rack at a leather shop. I don’t know, but I love the aesthetic choice, and it has influenced countless other post apocalyptic media. In addition this movie was a BIG hit at the box office. And that can only mean one thing, it spawned a slew of Italian knock offs like The New Barbarians and 1990 The Bronx Warriors. And while it does not accurately display what the apocalypse most likely will be by any stretch of the imagination it is become a very influential piece of post apocalyptic media, as well as the best of the Mad Max trilogy. I for one am dreading the fourth sequel. Mad Max in The Road Warrior as my 20th favorite movie.

The Road: 2009 (R)
USA / Dimension Films
75% (CF)
This is another post apocalyptic movie, but this movie in a very different vein as The Road Warrior. The Road Warrior is more of a sci-fi action movie. The Road is much more of a serious drama. Adapted from a Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Cormac McCarthy, this tells the story of a father and son and their odyssey across the apocalyptic wasteland to try and get to the coast. We do not know what caused the apocalypse, but we do know that the planet has rotted and the wildlife is dying. And unlike The Road Warrior, the pair does not have a vehicle and must traverse the land via the shanks-mare. The cast is top notch. The father is played by Viggo Mortensen and his son is played by Kodi Smit-McPhee. I have not seen much of the kids work but he is a really talented young actor! The mother is played by Charlize Theron, and there is even a brief appearance by Robert Duval! And anyone who has seen To Kill a Mockingbird knows he does not need a lot of screen time to leave an impression. The reason I like this movie so much is also the reason why this is the movie on my list I watch the least. It is so BLEAK! There is no color in this movie. It is all brown and grey. The father and son travel together in a land where there are no clear skies, it is all cloudy and rainy. They must avoid bands of cannibals, but defending themselves is limited since they only have two bullets in the revolver. They must try and find food where there is little to none. There is no trust besides each other since it is a survival of the fittest dog eat dog world. The actors show the hopelessness of their situation, you feel their despair, and you can see Viggo struggle with the idea of ending his son’s life as well as his own to escape the living hell they endure every day. The movie also has a subtle religious message and use of some Christian imagery. The father and son talk about “carrying the fire in their hearts” which means that they keep their souls and humanity and do not become monsters like the cannibals who murder and rape. It emphasizes that when times are at their worst, that is when a man’s true self is tested, and it is then that we need the light of God to guide us. Which in and of itself is a beautiful message. I also like the fact that this post apocalyptic environment is much more grim and severe then The Road Warrior. Yes the Outback is barren desert does fits an apocalyptic scenario, but this movies setting is downright depressing! Which I think fits a lot better for this kind of movie. And even though I do not watch it as often as the others on this list, if I can still feel the emotional impact from a movie I haven’t watched in years, that movie is doing something right. Number 19 on my list with The Road.

Cape Fear is a great thriller and Goodfellas is one the my favorite films.

Night Of The Living Dead,Die Hard(saw it for the first time only few days ago ),Vertigo were enjoyable,although not something I'd include in my top list.

Not a big fan of M and The Road.

My least favorite are The Boondock Saints and Tropic Thunder.Disliked both.

I haven't seen Terminator yet (I know,I know ) and Hunt For Red October looks interesting.Maybe I'll see it someday.

Your list is actually very interesting,full of different types of films.

Cape Fear is a great thriller and Goodfellas is one the my favorite films.

Night Of The Living Dead,Die Hard(saw it for the first time only few days ago ),Vertigo were enjoyable,although not something I'd include in my top list.

Not a big fan of M and The Road.

My least favorite are The Boondock Saints and Tropic Thunder.Disliked both.

I haven't seen Terminator yet (I know,I know ) and Hunt For Red October looks interesting.Maybe I'll see it someday.

Your list is actually very interesting,full of different types of films.
Yeah I have a wide taste in movies. From the art house to the grind house.

Goodfellas - Scorsese's masterpiece and best film

Vertigo - Hitchcock's masterpiece and best film

They both made some AWESOME pictures, but these two are their best, in my opinion.

Great choices!

Goodfellas - Scorsese's masterpiece and best film

Vertigo - Hitchcock's masterpiece and best film

They both made some AWESOME pictures, but these two are their best, in my opinion.

Great choices!
Thanks!

Team America: World Police: 2004 (R)
USA / Paramount
76% (CF)
I love satirical movies, and the masters of contemporary satire are the guys who gave us South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Trey and Matt at this time were expanding their horizons into movies. Their first two tries BASEketball and Orgazmo however were not successes. They did, however, have a hit with South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. This time around they wanted to do something not associated with their hit TV show, and choose a satire of the War on Terror. But unlike other satirical classics, these guys are doing it … with puppets. That’s right; puppets are used to convey their satiric message about terrorism. And it is HILARIOUS! The protagonists are Team America (played mostly by Parker and Stone), and they are literally the world’s police, a critique on US Foreign policy. They are gung-ho, violent, and have little regard for collateral property damage. They just want to get the terrorists. What I like about the terrorists is that they are presented as legitimates threats (one even looking like Osama Bin Laden). They try to blow up Paris with a WMD but are thwarted. They stop the terrorist threat but at great expense to the Paris scenery. One antagonist other then the terrorists, is North Korean Dictator, Kim Jung Il, who is providing the terrorists with WMDs as part of his master plan. Or master “pran,” as the Chinglish is VERY thick, which adds to the comedic effect. But the highlight of the antagonists has to be the Film Actors Guild which is made up on very prominent and outspoken liberal actors in Hollywood. And naturally they bitch and whine thinking that they have all the answers to global affairs. And they are lead by Alec Baldwin played by voice acting titan Maurice LaMarche. The humor of this movie is satire, but that does not prevent Parker and Stone from adding lots of toilet humor with their social commentary and plenty of creative profanity. Hell they even use dick jokes AS social commentary. The monologue at the end where Gary sums up the War on Terror from the sides of the pro war hawks, the anti war left, and the terrorists with “d!cks, p*ssies, and @$$holes” cracks me up EVERYTIME and is in my opinion the best and funniest way to get the point across. The reaction from the celebrities who were mocked was varied. Alec Baldwin apparently has a really good sense of humor and laughed his ass off at his portrayal. Sean Penn however was not amused, and even wrote the comedic duo a very angry letter ending with “f#ck you.” To top it off, the songs on the soundtrack are funny as hell. In true Trey and Matt style they find the ability to get laughs from the worst in bad taste with a song like “Everyone has AIDS.” But the best song by far is the theme song. I remember laughing my ass off in the theater and I am still laughing now. The masters of satire and Team America: World Police coming in at number 18.