Semi-Lurkers

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
...and a related story: My mom told me her movie-buff boss lurkes here and reads what his employee's daughter(me) talks about. He said he's very impressed with our conversations about film...but I gotta know...Dr.Woodburn, why don't you join in?

Now With Moveable Parts
Wha-you're not Dr.Woodburn...don't scare me like that...!!!!!!!!!!

As I was telling Patti the other day, I like the invisible mode because it makes me feel like Sue Storm of the Fantastic Four - and she was stacked!

You can still see me if you know where to look: all of my major features - including my cans - are outlined in white.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts

Sue Storm is of course 'The Invisible Girl' in The Fantastic Four comic books.

Gee-jumpin'-Jack-Kirby-hosophat! Don't they teach kids ANYthing in the Schools these days?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Toose, your new avatar is hilarious. Where are you finding these at?

They're probably invisible so Sadie will stop sending PM's to them.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Sue Storm is of course 'The Invisible Girl' in The Fantastic Four comic books.

Gee-jumpin'-Jack-Kirby-hosophat! Don't they teach kids ANYthing in the Schools these days?
I was TALKING about the last sentance of that first post of yours...not the one about Invisible Girl. I've read the Fantastic Four and watched the cartoon. There's that dumb @ss that can get all stretchy and the Water Boy...oh and those other two. Duh.

In comic books and cartoons it is, or at least it used to be, customary to 'show' the audience what was supposed to be invisible by representing the unseeable object with white outlines.

And I don't know about any recent cartoon versions, but the original Fantastic Four is Sue Storm (The Invisible Girl), her husband Professor Reed Richards (Mister Fantastic - the "stretchy" guy who isn't Plastic Man), her brother Johnny Storm (The Human Torch), and Benjamin J. Grimm (The Thing - the orange "rock" guy).

Like, double duh.

Now With Moveable Parts
That's what I said Holden. The stretchy guy and um...Invisible Girl...and those other two. So what if I can't remember their names and what they do...I was like a BABY when I watched 'em. I remember they all wear those matching, gay outfits too...so THERE!

Yes, but that doesn't explain why YOU feel the need to be invisible. No, sorry, an unhealthy obsession with old comic book characters with a talent for transparency and large breasts does not count.

Now With Moveable Parts
YEAH!

That reasoning sure counts for me. That's, like, kinda why I said it.

Also, I guess I don't generally like the idea of anyone and everyone being able to see what I'm doing before I do it. Once I make a post, it's there for all to see, so what's the problem? The real question is, what possible difference could it make to you guys? Why do you feel you need the information?

I'll stay invisible, thanks.

Now With Moveable Parts
Well, I don't know about T, but my reasoning, is, that we are all kinda like a family around here...and I don't know why you wouldn't want people to know you were here. I don't care about the " who's online" page, even though that's fun...I just would like to know, when I log in...that you're here.

It's not a big deal to me. I think I was just curious, it struck me as kinda snobby...but you're a different kind of cat...right?

It strikes you as "kinda snobby" for a board member to be invisible???
OK. Guess I'm a snob then - but an invisible snob enjoying my imaginary outlined hooters.

I think you guys are just jealous.

Not jealous enough to make myself invisible. I wouldn't say it's snobby...but, I would indeed wonder to myself why the member feels the need to stop people from seeing what they're doing. All it does is show us if you're responding to this, reading that, etc. It's not PERSONAL, for crying out loud. Why do we feel we need the information? Well, firstly I'd respond by saying that I don't feel I NEED it. If I felt I needed it, I'd simply set everyone's settings to visible automatically and remove the option.

Why do I like it more when people are visible? I simply like to know who's online at the time. Like to get a feel for everyone and everything around here. If you want to get really technical, there's no reason to have the feature at all, and there's no point in any of us posting our pictures as we have. It's all just part of the fun, IMO, even if there's no solid concrete reason for wanting it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
It strikes you as "kinda snobby" for a board member to be invisible???
Yeah, kinda. I mean...as far as regulars go, I would count you, a regular. However, if you do a general profile of all the regulars...then you could say that we aren't private people at all. Most of us have our picture posted, we have web sites, we post about our personal lives, we PM each other just to touch base, but you don't. So yeah, it struck me as snobby. Then again, you've made it clear that you don't like being " just like everyone else" and you've stuck by it. So I guess you just aren't here to make friends or give up your privacy...so I'll respect that.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
it's a matter of paranoia. not the unhealthy kind. the healthy kind, rather.

my disclaimer: i don't make myself invisible.

buuuut, i understand why other's do. i'd bet that most of those who do are more likely to NOT have a cell phone. the reason *I* don't have a cell phone is cuz i can't stand someone having that kind of access to me. it sorta works the same way with instant messengers. here, someone can see where you are/whether your'e on and while in movieland they can't do much about it but PM you or post and hope you reply, it's the principle of the matter - no airing your business if you have no desire for someone to catch your channel.

and for those who DO want to get caught - instant messengers abound! hence my yahoo, AIM, MSN and ICQ icons throbbing in the lower right hand corner of my screen all the time. y'all are gonna see me there so it doesn't matter if you see me here or not. and i enjoy yakking with y'all so I don't mind if you see me and take the opportunity to ping me.

hey, that rhymed!

Yeah, that's what I figured...I think this is a privacy issue for Holden. Don't take this the wrong way, Holden...just seems like you're not too keen on sharing anything about yourself with us...be it your name, personal interests (well, other than comic books and movies), a picture, or even your location on the site. I dunno if this extends to other things, like online purchases, but it is a shame, because I know I'm having a blast, and I think you would, too. Then again, maybe you're naturally shy, or a loner...I'm not gonna berade you if that's just the way you are. I'm a loner in my own way.

Anyway, I do hope you'll reconsider your boundries on how much of yourself you reveal online...but I'm not going to revisit the subject on my own. I've said my part.