donniedarkos 2013 self challenge

→ in
Tools    

Hope you love it as much as I did! Really a great movie that leaves you with a lot to think about in terms of love, religion, philosophy, body language, etc.

Week 20: Eric Rohmer

Works Viewed:
La Collectionneuse-

My Night At Maud's-
-

I watched two films from Rohmer's Moral Tales series (6 films). The first I viewed is the 4th one in and that is La Collectionneuse. I originally gave this a 3/5 but it stick with so I bring it up half a cupcake. For a film from 1967 the restoration was great as the color was alive and fiery. The settings and style are awe worthy. The story is incredibly simple, a love triangle of three young adults in a villa. I would've taken out the whole narration aspect though and show instead of tell. I found it a bit boring in the moment, but looking back it was certainly worth the watch. I enjoyed the hippy talk and careless protagonists.

My Night at Maud's is the third film in the series, and the one I just finished watching. Maybe this will also fade away but I found this awfully slow and jumpy. It took me three viewing sessions to finish this, and it really provided nothing for me personally. I may have not noticed this if I didn't read someone point it out, but the body language was great. Along with the dialogue it added a realistic feel. The film was far more concerned with philosophy than story, and Rohmer snatched any chance to put a new idea in. Just like in My Dinner With Andre, this became overwhelming.

As far as the rest of the series the movies seem to romantic to attract me. In fact judging by what I read these two were the least romance filled, and they were about love. Despite giving these an average rating of 3, I'm in no rush to watch the other films.

Next Week: Hiroshi Teshigahara
I'll be able to watch more than two films again, yay

I'm aware that they're popcorn boxes, always looked more like cupcakes to me though.

You can't say there's no resemblance?

I'm aware that they're popcorn boxes, always looked more like cupcakes to me though.

You can't say there's no resemblance?
Damn you Donnie, now that you have mentioned it, every time that I see them I am going to think of cupcakes

Unfortunately I have not seen anything of Leigh or Rohmer, although Naked has been on my watchlist for a while, I will add the Rohmer films now, not heard of him before so like you I look forward to discovering new works

I'm gonna have to see La Collectionneuse now, especially if you think it's even better than My Night at Maud's. It was next on my own Rohmer watchlist. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Face of Another (I have a feeling it'll be right up your alley) and Woman in the Dunes, which I desperately need to see.

I have a good idea for your self challenge. I think you try seeing some of Segio Leone's films if you haven't seen any on his movies.

Week 21-Hiroshi Teshigahara

Works Viewed:
Pitfall
-
The Face of Another

Woman in the Dunes

Pitfall is a surprisingly untouching father and son story. With slow movement, and unexplained story points, the film is not only outside of realistic (even before the ghosts), it just doesn't attract me in. The characters were one dimensional, and dull. The acting wasn't graceful, nor good. The actors were walking around like zombies on the screen, and the film was just as dull. The only character I liked was the killer, since at least he had some elusive qualities to him. It made me sleepy, and practically ruined my day.

The Face of Another, unlike Pitfall is highly symbolic and relatable. It's a story of identity, and the constant way humans cover up imperfections. Highly philosophical and especially the first half has deep thoughts. Add this to the beautiful but simple visuals, and it's a real treat. This reminded me of so many other films. The Elephant Man and The House is Black immediately come to mind. Then the surreal first half brought Persona and Un Chien Andalou into the mix. I talk about the first half more since it was far more memorable. After the mask came on this became more straightforward, and less stunning. It still brought up interesting new ideas, but lost the spookiness, and emptiness. Which perhaps was intentional, since by the end the main character is completely transformed. I love the opening scene, and all the scenes involving the creation of the mast. Enjoyable art movie.

Woman in the Dunes is the most acclaimed of Teshigaharas films, and my personal favorite of the three. This reminds of a less horror version of Misery, with more of a raw creative motive. I find isolation to be one of the scariest concepts, and this touched some thought into me, of how far I'd go. It's a film desire, whether it's a desire to escape your current "prison", or desire of a radio. This film is also concentrated on deception. It seems character had a trick up their sleeves. And while it maybe predictable, it's still directed well enough, that climax and plot didn't matter. This film also had some detailed close up cinematography, which I enjoyed. The director seems (based on this and Face of Another) an obsession of the body, and this is shown in not only the sex scenes, but where the camera is focused.

Next Week: David Lean

As I've been planning to do him for awhile I'm making this one a two week process so I can watch more of his films. It appears I'll mainly be watching his early films, but I will try to squeeze a few later classics in. Please recommend your favorites.

I've only seen The Bridge on the River Kwai, but I think it's great and would definitely recommend it. I have got Lawrence of Arabia recorded from Sky too, need to find the time to sit down and watch properly. Are the films you watching from a lesser-Lean criterion set? Think I've seen that online somewhere unless I am mistaken, wish we had Criterion here over in the UK/Europe

Brief Encounter is very good. I strongly recommend it!
Brief Encounter is a must see film of David Lean. I can't wait to hear what you say about the movie donniedarko because I really enjoyed this film alot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You never know what donnie's going to think. I don't know if that makes him unpredictable or crazy.

The first 45 mins is

Which part? That it's symbolic. Or that Pitfall isn't

Brief Encounter is very good. I strongly recommend it!
Will be watching

I've only seen The Bridge on the River Kwai, but I think it's great and would definitely recommend it. I have got Lawrence of Arabia recorded from Sky too, need to find the time to sit down and watch properly. Are the films you watching from a lesser-Lean criterion set? Think I've seen that online somewhere unless I am mistaken, wish we had Criterion here over in the UK/Europe
Ya I have the set with Noel's screenplays. Bridge and Lawrence are the two I really should watch, but not sure if I'll be able to.

You never know what donnie's going to think. I don't know if that makes him unpredictable or crazy.
Most likely, both

Lean: Lawrence of Arabia is a must-see for any fan of cinema. It's long, but it's over far too soon. Also The Bridge on the River Kwai and Brief Encounter. Great Expectations is interesting, too.

What about Doctor Zhivago? I haven't seen it myself yet, but I heard it's also regarded as a very good movie. I have it on DVD, actually.

I don't see many posts or discussions about the film on this forum. Has anyone seen it? What's your opinion about it?

Has anyone seen it? What's your opinion about it?
I think it is pretty good.Good cast,awesome story is told basically from three or even four perspectives.The thing which I liked was that it doesn't look American and that is a good thing for a film which is basically about Russia.I also love when historical background has an important role in the movie and affects the characters and in this film it's the October Revolution and then Civil War which separates the characters,makes them wander.
But despite all this I found it boring sometimes maybe because it is basically a romance movie and I am not a fan.I gave it a
which means that enjoyed it and time was spent well.It might grow on me but I also might never see it again.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm with gabrielle when it comes to zhivago on both the pro's and con's of it. It is a very good movie that does, at times, seem to drag, but still very worthwhile

Week 22- David Lean

Works Viewed:
Hobsons Choice

Brief Encounter
+
In Which We Serve
+
This Happy Breed

Blithe Spirit

Henry Hobson (played by Charles Laughton) owns a bootmaker shop in 1800s England. He has a soft spot for the pubs and has three daughters. He wishes for the two youngest to have a marriage, but doesn't want to pay the fee. He wants to hog the oldest Maggie for himself and the shop. Basically nothing goes Hobsons way. The most comedic element for me of this whole film was Charles Laughton himself. I just found him hilarious in his role of the wretched Hobson, and just his facial expressions could make me laugh. I never did reach the pity from him that I believe David Lean was trying to reach by the end, just because I couldn't take the character seriously. This had its ups and downs as far as how I viewed the film. I couldn't finish this in one sitting though. Not that the film is dull in pace, but it's not the most exciting adventure. Which is fine since it gives the movie a cozy feel. The characters outside of Hobson are one-dimensional. The three daughters are predictable. Willy developed to an extent, but the rest just stayed in place. This was in total a decent comedy, and David Leans first impression on me.

I've come to the conclusion that I've watched Brief Encounter at the wrong time. It seems like a movie to view on a rainy day, while I watched this when it was sunny and I was full of energy. Therefore David Leans Brief Encounter just brought me down. While my rating isn't awful, it doesn't match what one would predict for the film that's #2 on the BFI British films list, and perhaps the most acclaimed on Leans early works. It's not only that I didn't watch this in the most suitable time on the other hand. I personally don't have empathy for characters who practically abandon their families for a love affair. So the two protagonists of this film weren't ones I was fond of. I credit this film with amazing dialogue, in it's adaption of Noel Cowards play. The thoughts and speech of Laura are realistic and relatable. You can notice this from the opening train scene. Secondly the narration is held in high regards, and rightfully. Told as a story, and begins at the near end. I'll put this title alongside Rashomon and Midnight Cowboy as a film I should rewatch the fully grasp

Fun fact: In Which we Serve used condoms as bullets. This war film directed by David Lean and partner Noel Coward had a lot of cool moments and ideas. If you watch this I'd recommend the Criterion edition as it holds some enlightening interviews. This isn't a great eerie war film and is a bit dated. This patriotic effort would probably be a joy for me if I was a Brit, but I don't have that kind of enthusiasm of British patriotism. This film uses the 40s cliche of flashbacks, but it makes the movie better than it'd would be. I'm didn't like Noel Coward as a ship captain as he didn't feel serious or strict enough. I suggest this if one is looking for a spirited war movie.

Another David Lean, Noel Coward adaption, This Happy Breed follows the life of a suburban family between the two world wars. A two decade long epic this film has great character development and shows marriage, death, abandonment, and the rest of the occasions a family goes through. It has some funny snip bits of dialogue, and I especially like the communist/anarchists discussion. The film is somewhat dry, but it remains touching and relevant.

My final David Lean, Noel Coward adaption I viewed was Blithe Spirit. I fell in love with this movie. There's no paranormal movie quiet like this. It's elegant in humor and moves quickly. There are no scares, it's more in depth on the idea of the other world, and a humorous view of how life is after you die. David Lean morphed the dead with the living, when an estranged wife comes to "visit" her husband and his second wife. She terrorizes the family through this, and a quote brought up early in this movie really summarizes it well. " It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit". Not only is it a great line but it is perfect in the film. Harrison, Cummings, and Hamond have great on screen chemistry, making this an amazing feel good comedy.

Despite most of the ratings being middle lurkers I did enjoy these two weeks as they were lighthearted and classy. The first four film were not the most on the edge of your seat movies, but they moved along well enough. I still have to see David Leans later (and longer) works, and my exploration is not completely halted as I'm going to watch the rest of the supplements on the discs I own. I plan on doing more British directors in the future, but I'm going back to an arthouse director for the remainder of the week.

Next Week: Hollis Frampton