Omni's Random Video Noise

→ in
Tools    

*EDIT: Bear in mind I have a very low tolerance for horror movies myself.
Nah really?

Here, I've replaced the trailer. This one's less setup and more theme-oriented. Much less horror-y.

Foxy Brown
Blaxploitation Action Drama / English / 1974

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Pam Grier kicks some ass? I can dig it.

WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
Eh... I wanted to see Pam Grier kick ass, not get drugged and raped.

It takes about over half an hour for her to whip out a gun and shoot her brother in the ear for ratting out her informant husband who gets shot by drug runners.

She immediately learns the name of the Big Bad (who happens to be a woman I assume purely for the same reasons why her handgun is tiny) and instead of shooting her on sight, effectively ending the movie, she uses her "assets" to join their organization so she can mildly irritate them by botching a bribe.

( -_-) <-- This is me impressed.

She shortly after gets caught and is returned the favor by drugging her with heroin (which sounds horrible but doesn't appear to affect her at all) and get raped by some wildly attractive southern gentlemen.

She sets them on fire, escapes, rallies together some 70s enthusiasts and finally gets her revenge by cutting off the Big Bad's boyfriend's PENIS AND GIVING IT TO HER IN A JAR.

She then aces her goons, pops her in the arm, and delivers the immortal line, "Death is too easy for YOU, bitch!"

Sweet, I feel like I'm watching The New Barbarians again, an hour of nonsense followed by a few minutes of HOLY **** WHAT THE ****!?

There's some colorful dialog, nipple slips, offscreen sex, it's honestly much less offensive than I would have expected, THOUGH...

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In a Variety (magazine) issue on Wednesday, April 17, 1974, they characterized the film as being "something of a mess." The gory samples of violence and explicit sexual scenes, according to Variety, made it harder to stomach, and is beneath even the "gutter-high standards of the genre."
Really? That was the lowest of the low when it comes to gore and sex? By 1974 standards? PUHLEESE, are you seriously telling me castrating people isn't the solution to our drug problem?

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	foxy_brown_02-600x325.jpg
Views:	1411
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	25977   Click image for larger version

Name:	foxybrown2.jpg
Views:	2141
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	25978  

I love Foxy Brown.

Coffy, the film before this one (Foxy Brown is actually sort of a sequel to Coffy, though they changed Pam Grier's character's name), is a better movie. I thought Foxy Brown wasn't as good as Coffy back in the day. Yet, I think I would rather watch Foxy Brown now over Coffy.

As I've said numerous times before, the villainess, Katherine Wall, makes the movie.
Attachments

Name:	Katherine.JPG
Views:	1092
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25980  

I love Foxy Brown.

Coffy, the film before this one (Foxy Brown is actually sort of a sequel to Coffy, though they changed Pam Grier's character's name), is a better movie.
It's on my watchlist.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
As I've said numerous times before, the villainess, Katherine Wall, makes the movie.
She really didn't leave any impact on me. She wasn't bad, but she hardly did anything.

Domino
Action / English / 2005

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Hard to say no to what it says on the tin.

Now THIS is how you can be visually interesting.

None of that color filter bloom ****, you actually shift the hues and saturation of each shot, splicing in slow-mo and speed-ramp edits to keep things alive and movin' with emphasis on exactly what you want.

Domino does this and I really appreciate it because without the sharp visual flair I think it would be a much less interesting movie.

NOT TO SAY that I didn't get what I signed up for. Keira Knightley pulls off Badass Action Girl #1 fantastically and I'm pleased with the scenes she's allowed to steal. UP UNTIL about the halfway mark, see around that point we give up on this "history of my life" narrated play-by-play and focus on the crime caper we're flashing back to which requires a MASSIVE amount of difficult-to-keep-up-with setup and frankly the whole movie thinks it's own little Ocean's Eleven is way more interesting than it actually is.

Shortly after we establish Domino's spot on the team of bounty hunters between Ed and Choco, we establish Choco is resistant to having her join, we leap to their mutual yet unshared sexual attraction towards one another, then we have a scene where Domino unpleasantly yelling at Choco, and you know let me take just a second to say that Keira Knightley with her mouth wide open and expressing upsettedness doesn't work, she should just not do that (she even has a Reb Brown moment at the end which is just... funny).

Then the daytime hooker from My Name Is Earl spikes their coffee with mescaline, they get ****ed up, the oversaturated visuals suddenly become TOO MUCH, and Domino and Choco have sex.

*SIGH* Great. Nice roma- .... *SIGH*

Then suddenly this preacher rolls up and starts calling Domino an "angel of fire" and what the hell, is the movie trying to be ABOUT something now?

I think you give up that right the second you include an extended scene in your movie in which Mo'Nique goes on Jerry Springer as the world's youngest grandmother to tell us all why we should be more inclusive of the "Blacktino" and "ChiNegro" population.

At least it helps to bust into song anytime the characters do something horrible.

Also dogs and goldfish. ESPECIALLY the goldfish, because they were flushed down toilets more than once.

All in all it seems to be an entertaining, if admitted, wild exaggeration of the life of Domino Harvey. I could complain about the thick sexualization of Domino, but considering that the real Domino was on set, it makes me wonder if that wasn't exactly what she would have gotten a kick out of. Something tells me yes.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	domino.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	25983   Click image for larger version

Name:	domino-scott_2314609b.jpg
Views:	3130
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	25984   Click image for larger version

Name:	great-women-2.jpg
Views:	1955
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	25985  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I might've thought that too the first time I saw it. It doesn't really occur to me now.

Perhaps the setup seems too cushy for something bad not to hilariously destroy it.

Ah, GBG. I think you could like it.

*EDIT: Bear in mind I have a very low tolerance for horror movies myself.

I added it to my watchlist. Is this the right movie?

The Mist
Survival Horror / English / 2007

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
I actually rather like The Mist.
Originally Posted by Camo
The Mist is a good film watch that.
"We're a civilized society."

"Sure, as long as the machines are workin' and you can dial 911, but you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the **** out of them... NO MORE RULES."

Mad props to Frank Darabont, the guy has quite the string of adaptions under his belt.

Too bad The Mist kinda ****s it up.

I mean, not that The Mist isn't well made. It's paced great, it builds tension well and it totally kept me engaged the whole way through. Even the CG monsters looked decent for the most part.

But the script is... bad and I can't even blame it solely on the source material or the changes.

In any survival horror movie we're forced to ask the eternal question, "How stupid are the protagonists?"

Any degree of "stupid" is bad and here I would have to say "mild to extremely stupid".

First off we establish the Mist is dangerous. We're not sure why, but it's suggested that it could be poisonous.

It's reasonable, but no effort is made to say, "Hey, she's standing in the Mist and she feels fine, must not be poison."

That may seem flat and needlessly explanatory, but the absence of this sort of inquisition leads people to recognize the Mist is dangerous, and then immediately assume that it's perfectly safe to walk out into it despite evidence to the contrary.

Sure enough, MONSTERS! We dismember a tentacle and instead of IMMEDIATELY moving the thing to show everyone else, "Hey, monsters!" we leave it and expect to convince everyone to just take their word.

Sure enough a couple guys go back, see the thing, discover it's still alive before dissolving into a puddle and WELP, THERE'S NO EVIDENCE NOW BECAUSE YOU SEE THAT WE COULDN'T HAVE TOUCHED IT BEFORE WITHOUT IT REACTING AND DISSOLVING WHICH WE NOW KNOW BUT COULDN'T THEN HAVE KNOWN.

It's retroactive justification. Weak.

Sure enough, most people still take them for liars despite Token Black Guy's relatively pleasant exchange with our protagonist up to this point, he just suddenly assumes that in the wake of this unexplainable mystery, the only guys with any remote certainty explaining it are specifically conspiring to spite him over an old lawsuit?

Weak.

It's also the perfect time to get hot and heavy and makeout in the backroom of a supermarket besieged by unseen forces that want to tear you in half at the waist. With totally undeveloped characters.

GOSH I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ONE OF TH-*dead*

Weak.

A few characters decide that since every single other person who went outside never returned or wound up dead, WELL I guess we gotta go outside too! As soon as they're outside, they're walking slowly with their lights on.

I'm sorry, did we not already establish that there's a limit to how far/long we can survive outside and that the monsters are SPECIFICALLY ATTRACTED TO LIGHT!? It's FOG (mist, whatever), light isn't going to do you any favors! And they do this EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY'RE OUTSIDE, even when they escape to one of their cars they proceed to SLOOOOOOOWLY drive past the supermarket window to spite all the naysayers!

Weak.

Finally, when they finally run out of gas their first and only thought is "WELP, GUESS WE GOTTA COMMIT SUICIDE."

"BUT MALE PROTAGONIST, THERE ARE 5 OF US AND ONLY 4 BULLETS."

"WE'LL MAKE IT WORK." *shoots the other 4, cries uncontrollably*

Uhkay, first, was it beyond your spatial reasoning to figure out that all 5 of you could die if you lined your ****ing heads together?

Second, HOW ABOUT WAIT???

How about you not immediately conclude the worst BECAUSE IT WOULD COST YOUR ****IN' LIVES? How 'bout you not rush to kill yourself? HOW 'BOUT PATIENCE!?!?

NUP, OUTTA GAS, TIME TA DIE.

Weak.

And I know what you're thinkin', "But Omni, what about the drama in the supermarket and the danger of fear-mongering mob mentalities?"

You know what? You're right, it was good. Carmody is a good love-to-hate-her sort of character. SO GOOD in fact, that SHE ONLY TAKES A COUPLE BULLETS??

WHAT THE HELL!? The first guy to die went out worse then that and the guy who killed her dies immediately after with his last words being an apology for KILLING THE EVIL HAG!

We don't even get the full satisfaction of seeing her skin ripped off, infected with alien venom, or turning into spiders!

And the guy who killed her was punk'd out by a monster you never totally see!

And the old woman who dented her skull with a can of peas is shot with friendly fire mere MINUTES BEFORE RESCUE!!!

WEAK.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	OlD8Z6e_Irw.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	26005   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Mist-3-e1411599914539.png
Views:	971
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	26006   Click image for larger version

Name:	789ba1eafd.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	26007  

I've had The Black Hole on DVD for many years now, but I've never gotten around to watching it. I think I've seen The Thirteen Floor, but I don't remember anything about it. I think The Thirteenth Floor is supposed to be the better film though, so it might be a decent choice.

G. I. Jane
Military Action / English / 1997

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
This could either be incredibly offense or incredibly awesome.

"Suck my dick!"

"Love", kissing, camels, goats, I'm ****in' ashamed.

Just ****in' ashamed.

With so many people right now.

Firstly I'm ashamed with every single butthead who made those "Top X Badass Female Characters in Movies" lists I spent all of last week searching through. I'm ashamed in every single one of them who picked Katniss from Hunger Games, and I'm ashamed in every single ****rag who picked a SUPPORT CHARACTER to fill out their list because they couldn't think far beyond Sarah Conner, Ellen Ripley, Furiosa, The Bride, Lisbeth Salander aaand... that one chick from Sin City?

Trinity in The Matrix??

Black Widow in The Avengers???

Lucy, GO **** YOURSELF!!!

We have Wing Chun! We have Savage Streets! We have THIS MOVIE and don't even get me started on how every single one of those ****ing lists fails to specify LIVE-ACTION!

G.I. Jane is SURPRISINGLY a great movie. It could very easily have pushed it's obviously feminist angle WAY past the breaking point with just ONE offhand remark, just ONE whisper of man-hate, just ONE... ANYTHING that would delegitimize what it tries to do, but it DOESN'T.

We IMMEDIATELY open up with whatsherface "Haven" publicly slamming "sensitivity training for men" in a televised hearing and instantly she becomes the bitch-in-charge to put the first woman into the Navy Seals despite all the sexism that rankles the comfortably cock-centric elite.

Demi Moore as O'Neil takes the hits, rolls with the punches, says "**** you" to handouts and insulting double standards so she can compete with the best of 'em and even kick a sexist Viggo Mortenson in the nuts. **** YEAH, GIRL POWER!

And that's when bureaucracy steps in, as it -always- does, accuses her of lesbianism (because it SOMEHOW affects them) and redacts all of her training.

All at the hands of the queen bitch-in-charge, Haven, who is EXACTLY the kind of personality that should have no ****ing input on this kind of movie.

It's bad enough when MEN are sexist to women, but when WOMEN are sexist to women, I wanna CLOCK HER IN THE TEETH! Cause that's your real antagonist! It's not just men keeping women down, it's women pulling the same **** because they've deluded themselves into believing there's a meaningful difference! It's an enemy on the INSIDE and it needs KILLING!

Sadly, she gets no such comeuppance and O'Neil returns to duty only to be sucked into real warfare and pull off her Mulan Moment when she has to save the life of her male superior officer.

And the whole team came to accept her, sexism was abolished, real lesbians continued to get ****ed over by Don't Ask Don't Tell and EVERYONE WAS HAPPY.

EXCEPT ME. Because I'm still ashamed!

In Demi Moore. WHAT THE ****, Demi Moore!? You looked great in this movie as it is, you didn't need the breast enhancement, I mean ****, you're not even recognizable anymore!

You star in one of the most pro-equality feminist films ever made and you come away with plastic surgery!?!? WELL, I GUESS WE'VE HURDLED THE GAP THAT IS WOMEN IN THE MILITARY, BUT UNREALISTIC STANDARDS OF BEAUTY?

PPPPPBBFBBFBFBFBTTTTT
YOU'RE NOT GETTIN' RIDDA THAT!

Just because a woman can fire a gun now don't mean she shouldn't have a little JUNK IN THE TRUNK.

And you know who else I'm ashamed in? ****in' these guys. Not just the people passing the law (because **** drafts), but the people writing the article.

You specifically reference the title of a movie which ***** ALL OVER what you say in it and yet:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Christman
Still, the idea of disinclined women as conscripts of the armed forces (emphasis on force) makes me shiver. While I don't have children, I can't fathom my friends' daughters being drafted. I think about how inept and immature I was at age 18. I struggled just being a student. How could my country have counted on me to be a soldier?
HOW DO YOU THINK MEN FEEL, YOU SEXIST PRICK!?

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	onearmedbadass.jpg
Views:	2373
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	26026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Demi-Moore-Plastic-Surgery-Before-and-After-Botox.jpg
Views:	3479
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	26027  

I disagree with the whole idea of a draft, but if you're going to draft men against their will, you should draft women too (with the exception of those who are pregnant and maybe those who have recently given birth). The fact that the author is offended by that idea baffles me, since she gives no indication that she believes men shouldn't be required to offer their service.

I don't know if Canada has a draft or not. My province was still a dominion of Britain until around 1950, so the military history we were taught in school was in regard to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, and not the Canadian Armed Forces. All I know is that there hasn't been any talks about it in my lifetime, so I have no idea what would happen if there was a need for something like a draft. But if a country does not have enough public support to fill the ranks of their army with volunteers, then they probably shouldn't be going to war.

I disagree with the whole idea of a draft, but if you're going to draft men against their will, you should draft women too (with the exception of those who are pregnant and maybe those who have recently given birth). The fact that the author is offended by that idea baffles me, since she gives no indication that she believes men shouldn't be required to offer their service.

I don't know if Canada has a draft or not. My province was still a dominion of Britain until around 1950, so the military history we were taught in school was in regard to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, and not the Canadian Armed Forces. All I know is that there hasn't been any talks about it in my lifetime, so I have no idea what would happen if there was a need for something like a draft. But if a country does not have enough public support to fill the ranks of their army with volunteers, then they probably shouldn't be going to war.
I roundly agree. A government that forces it's citizens into armed service is a government that makes decisions without regards to the people it governs. Which is ASS-BACKWARDS.

Gypsy 83
Road Trip Drama / English / 2001

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
ALL ABOARD! NEXT STOP ON THE PUNKY GIRL TRAIN, GYPSY 83!

"Okay, you know what? Some of us don't CARE to be defined by our sexuality."

Kissing, drugs, KFC, Burger King, basically any time "Whopper" appears in character dialog you should just tear up that page of the script and start over.

Well, I signed for a punky girl and I got a goth guy instead. Not complaining though, he was the best part of the whole movie.

Basically, the setup here is, Gypsy wants to become a rock star, so at the encouragement of best friend, Clive, the two goths run away from home and drive across state to perform at a Stevie Nicks tribute event.

My biggest issue with the movie is the main character, Gypsy, who begins the movie an emotional trainwreck. She gets stagefright, reacts poorly to insults, has a fricken' obtuse missing mother backstory and is just generally an unpleasant person to be around.

Is it just me or is the concept of the viewer surrogate being prone to irrational mood swings just kinda... dumb?

On the other hand we got Clive, our virgin gay goth guy who suffers almost exclusively from sub-excellent dialog. I would have loved to have heard some great one-liners out of him, but he's just generally a fun stable personality on screen. I like that he's a gay character who specifically subverts the common stereotype, and I like his look. He looks cewl.

Unfortunately the entire movie is a victim of the story which seems to be composed of equal parts awkward moments, forced character development, and... not-quite self awareness.

It stumbles around before the road trip element actually kicks into gear and when it does it quickly arrives at what feels like a stock emotional hurdle: Gypsy encounters a woman who made it big, only to discover that she DIDN'T and is now a drunk in debt.

It's predictable, but this has some fairly understandable impact on Gypsy who freaks out and decides to bail before confiding in Clive that her mother didn't die, but left her and her dad.

It's actually a pretty emotional moment which surprisingly caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting that level of acting here, not the least of which as narratively justified.

It does quickly go downhill though as they pick up a runaway Amish guy who they paint up to look really awkward, Clive gets drunk in the middle of the day in a public park and says "I think you're the most beautiful man I've ever seen."

Egh... and to make matters worse is Amish Guy has the hots for Gypsy.

Sex immediately follows because ****, we can't take too much time to develop their relationships, we have to waste time on pointless side conversations.

Clive hooks up with a closeted gay Fratboy who we see imposing extremely homoerotic hazings on newbies and honestly I didn't mind it too terribly. It's a first time for both of them and it was sorta cute... in an anonymous sex in a public restroom sorta way.

The scene is shortly followed by Fratboy's cronies vandalizing their car evidently out of personal regret and this could have been an interesting point in Clive's development, but it's never brought up again.

Meanwhile, Gypsy's ****ing Amish Guy and they're playing the romantic card hard especially when it's over and she says she'll be comfortable singing in New York "Now that I know you're gonna be there."

*eyeroll* Not only did JUST MEET THIS GUY and don't know a thing about him, but do you really want to tempt fate like that?

Nup. Gypsy can't catch a break, Amish Guy ran away from his wife and kids and immediately decides to go back after having sex with her.

Yeah, that's nice, don't forget about me, ya hear? You go back to your pregnant wife and remember that one-night stand you had with a random girl in a truck-stop restroom. Who could very well now be pregnant.

I'm sorry, THAT BOTHERS ME: If it's gay sex, I'm far less concerned about the characters making decisions without regard to significant consequences, but if it's straight sex, then who's to say she doesn't get pregnant? What a ****load of ******** that'd be! I can already imagine Gypsy bitching and moaning about how "OH WOE IS ME, I HAD SEX AND NOW I'M PREGGERS, WHO COULD'VE POSSIBLY SEEN THAT COMING???"

It really irks the **** out of me.

Remarkably this scene is shortly followed by Gypsy lashing out at Clive for no longer being a virgin, because now he can be... the stereotype now...? WHAT? Why does having sex mean he's gotta pop on the rainbow buttons and turn the flamboyance up to 11? Because now that he's had sex he "no longer needs her" now. You're kind of a bitch, Gypsy.

Sure enough, they eventually make up, Gypsy sings at her concert, and she decides to stay in New York... for no adequately explained reason and leave Clive with her dad's stolen busted up car... for no adequately explained reason... who's leaving... for no adequately explained reason.

I mean I think they try to handwave it by Clive taking it a bit hard when a couple goth goons call him out for pretending to know about a book they like and accusing him of being a poser but...

Seriously, this hits him harder than the first guy he's had sex with snuffing him for being gay? "Poser"?

Alright kids, let step back, sit down, and let Omni tell it like it is:

Omnizoa's
Guide to Counterculture

F*ck 'em.

That's it! This is where this whole picture collapses!

You can't be Gypsy, dress all up in goth gear and then get emotionally triggered any time someone calls you a "freak", that means you're DOING IT WRONG! It means you can't handle the consequences of your actions! It means you're trying to break the status quo, but you also want everyone to accept it, THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS, you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Clive rolls with the punches far better than Gypsy, but he also can't seem to come to grips with being called a poser.

Dude! You pretended to like a book you didn't know about, that's POSING, but you're also failing to realize that when these chuckleheads call you a poser, they're measuring you against a STANDARD.

The whole point is **** STANDARDS!

Do you're own thing! Have your own style! Wear whatever the **** you want regardless of what people think!

Whether it's punk, goth, visual kei, it doesn't matter.

You do you.

Everyone else does each other.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	050109.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	26053   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mmropdctqA1qiy5b2o1_500.jpg
Views:	1633
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	26054   Click image for larger version

Name:	gypsy-83.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	26055  

I remember tracking down that movie ages ago because I really liked Kett Turton's character in Kingdom Hospital. I really don't remember much about it, other than it being kind of okay. I keep thinking I might watch it again, since it's been 11 or 12 years now and I might have a different opinion, but your review does not inspire much confidence haha.

I remember tracking down that movie ages ago because I really liked Kett Turton's character in Kingdom Hospital. I really don't remember much about it, other than it being kind of okay. I keep thinking I might watch it again, since it's been 11 or 12 years now and I might have a different opinion, but your review does not inspire much confidence haha.
Ironically, I was just looking at Kingdom Hospital specifically LOOKING for Kett Turton after this movie.

I get a feeling he doesn't quite have that opportunity he needs to really kick out and make a name for himself.