It started so well...

Tools    

X-Men 3.

The trailer was good

OK movie but so much potential

Amen! After they lost the apes, docked the TWA space ship, turned off the Blue Danube Waltz and started talking, the movie went into a nose dive. Boring!

To continue (sort of) the theme of disappointing movie endings, how about films which are brilliant for about the first 3 minutes, then go rapidly downhill.

I'm thinking of things like Van Helsing (the brilliant monster movie pastiche of the opening giving way to a make-it-up-as-you-go-along plot with dodgy cgi), or Hellboy.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: the moment they ran around to the side of that house and found the five Avenger aircraft sitting there, I was ready to walk out of the theater.

ET, Angel Heart; Saving Pvt. Ryan, Gods and Generals, Catch-22, Red-Headed Stranger, Jurrassic Park,Chorus Line, Evita, Man of La Mancha. The last 3 were good on stage but fell apart as films

I liked Hellboy a whole lot.

DePalma's Dressed to Kill comes to mind when i think of films that fall apart in the last act...

I agree, but then I've never cared much for any of DePalma's movies. A couple of other stinkers that Michael Caine made was The Hand, and that really silly film about modern-day pirates.