Dogville (2003)

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Tommo La
Anyone seen it yet?
You mean, other than all the members who have commented on it and discussed Dogville in some detail in this thread?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You mean, other than all the members who have commented on it and discussed Dogville in some detail in this thread?
His post was from its own thread in another forum. I merged it into this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing this film when I get the DVD tomorrow.From what I could gather Nicole Kidman was really great in this.It will be interesting to see Bryce Howard playing the same character in Manderlay due out some time next year.
Legends of the Fall
BraveHeart
American History X

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Since when has Nicole Kidman's name been a title?
Arg forgive the newbie,he should have known better.I mean he should have read every rule about posting in italics.O wait there arent any.Anyway,how about releasing that bug up your arse somewhere else if sarcasm gets you off.If you need to correct me again,I suggest another method.It works a little better.

EDIT: Firstly, learn to use apostrophes [and the spacebar] in your writing.

Secondly, I'd a moderator here and thus have the ability to edit your posts. And believe you me, I WILL abuse that power. So get back in your box and shut the Hell up.

Originally Posted by Insanity Rulez
.Anyway,how about releasing that bug up your arse somewhere else if sarcasm gets you off.
you will get used to him, he is nice, smart etc, just has a huge ego, but at times he relates via his ID

I actually don't have a huge ego at all. In fact, I've probably got more self-loathing in me than anyone else I know.

I actually don't have a huge ego at all. In fact, I've probably got more self-loathing in me than anyone else I know.
I don't think that you need to loath yourself at all, you are a smart, imaginative, focussed person but sometimes very cutting, don't get me wrong it is just that your wit is sometimes misunderstood Having an ego isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I actually saw this film the other night but didn't get a chance to get on to talk about it. So today I actually went out and bought the film. To me this fim was just brilliant. I loved every aspect possible of it. From the set or lack there of. But once you watch it and get really into it you dont really notice that there isn't much there really. I've read this thread and heard all the opinions and I just glad that such a film has gotten out to people. Where I live no one has heard of this film at all yet. Most people dont even rent it. Just pass it by on the shelves. Thats like me though. I pass by all those flash films that you see on the shelves and look for ones no one has heard about and those usually tend to be the ones that are real gems. Watching the whole story just unravel was just amazing. When I first poped in the dvd and saw the area I thought "They must be joking right, There's no set." But once into the story who cares really. I actually found myself cheering for Grace's character at the end and the decision she made. Especially what she did to Patrica Clarkson in the end. That was pretty shocking especially with Achilies. I would recomened this film to anyone with a broad mind and a good imagination.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by nebbit
Having an ego isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Yes, but being witty doesn't denote having an ego either...

Yes, but being witty doesn't denote having an ego either...
ok used the wrong words, was having a bad day, doesn't happen often, I actually like you, I really didn't want to hurt your feelings, am now beating myself over the head with a dead fish

The silver bullet - a really lovely review.

You guys are all on the ball with the comments about this movie. This is one of my all time favourite films. I was overwhelmed with the tremendous presence this film had the first time i saw it. It's a movie that is very hard to forget and hate it or love it- it's nearly impossible to not be touched by it in some way. The minimalistic style present in the film truly allows the story, the message and the characters to stand out and this is one of the reasons why Dogville is such a powerful film.

Von Trier is not very well known for his great treatment of his actors however, I really respect the honesty of his work. I can't wait for Manderlay.

history *is* moralizing
what happened to Nicole that she became such an actress in the past 2-3 years? what didya think of the black and white pics at the end of the movie?

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
what happened to Nicole that she became such an actress in the past 2-3 years? what didya think of the black and white pics at the end of the movie?
I think if you go back to 1995's To Die For, you'll see Nicole Kidman's acting strength on full display. This isn't that recent a phenomenon.

As for the end credit sequence, I think it works brilliantly. We discussed it in the thread.

history *is* moralizing
ok, i'll look into it, since it's one of the few movies with her i haven't seen.
i liked her in Dead Calm too. or was it more about the whole movie?
and about the end sequence, i agree with u, i just wondered cuz some friends of mine found it too "obvious"?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
You know, those pics. When I saw the film I didn't think it was at all as anti-american as I thought it was going to be (I saw it just a few months ago). I thought it is pessimistic about the human race over all, but not anti-american per se. The pics in the end were more directly critical perhaps but they worked fine and I liked that segment. Not because it was anti-USA or anything but because it showed an "ugly side" of humanity that is not being shown very much on the big screen.

Overall, I found the film annoying in general. Not as annoying as Dancer In the Dark perhaps but still. I liked the last act a lot though. I liked that von Trier unlike in "Dancer" allowed his victim to get back on her tormentors in the end.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Before I saw this movie I really didn't think I was going to like it. The whole thing about minimalist filmmaking and whatnot just didn't really attract me, especially since the movie is 3 hours long. But I did eventually see it and was extremely surprised. The way it was made is pretty damn creative and really makes it interesting to see. Also I agree with Piddz that I don't think it was anti-American in any way. Sure it had American characters doing some pretty horrible things, but its not like European people have never done anything bad. And besides I think I read somewhere that Von Trier has never set foot in America, as he is afraid to fly, so he's just experimenting with things which is great.

Now I wish I had seen this in the theater when it played in the Central Florida Film Festival, instead of having to view it on my crappy TV. Stupid me.

history *is* moralizing
i do think Trier made it clear thru those pics that he had some anti-American feeling. but i see the movie as stronger if it applies to the whole of humanity as well. that's why i prefer the movie itself than the pics at the end, which kinda reduce the signification of the events told.

Ex-Con. Ex-Cop. Explosive
I just rented this film on teh wknd and I totally liked it. All the comments posted on this thread I can relate to. I really really liked the main review - what a wonderful job!

Did any of you feel any sympathy for Paul Bettany's character? Or did you feel as I did - pent up rage as the film progressed? I grew angrier and angrier with him because he was pretending to be the key to Grace's freedom, and she believed in him and fell for him, but all the while he was just stringing her along. All he wanted was to satisfy his carnal desires, at her expense. He was as evil as the rest of the townsfolk and rapists, because although it's not what he did that was evil, but what he didn't do. Just sitting, watching, observing all the horrible things happening to Gace, and not doing anything about it. By the end I too felt that his death was completely justified.

The more I think about it the more I liked this movie.

Bullet -
I'm sold. That review should've been in the paper.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.