The PPR Jungle

Tools    

Damn. I was going pretty good there for a few weeks and now I've run into two straight teams estimated to finish over 140. Meh...

I need startable depth. Looking for WRs and RBs, good ones!

Adrian Petersons on the trading block. (In the Jungle not at MoFo)

In the Beginning...
I'd be interested, but they're just not giving him the rock lately. Against New York, he had only 13 carries. The game before that, against Carolina, he had 10.

I suspect the Vikings know their season is lost, so they're limiting the wear-and-tear on Peterson while simultaneously holding open auditions for QB. Josh Freeman threw the ball 53 times last week.

Yeah hes worthless

Im gonna bench Pierre Thomas for Roy Helu this week. Figure RG III is gonna end up having to chuck the ball to keep up with Denver. Was thinking about benching Brian Hartline with his tough matchup against New England, but I just couldnt slot in Jerricho Cotchery, he has a soft matchup vs Okland.

Youre good! Mike Glennon, done. Forgedaboudit

Seriously though, I was being glib since we have a matchup this week. I just checked and I cant believe how scarce QBs are now! Much moreso than at MoFo. Mike Glennons gone even. Just get Josh McCown now and take a shot getting Foles too while youre at it. At least their matchups arent hard ones. If the Baltimore Ravens can win a super bowl with Trent Dilfer than nothings insurmountable man.

This is the quietest season weve ever had in the PPR Jungle, and that includes the first season when we just had a handful of active people. Im sorry I havent done any predictions. Honestly Im too burnt out dealing with some real life stuff, and it doesnt help when my posts make up 80% of the thread. Im not appointing blame or accepting it, its just the way it is.

Our league leader presently is one of the originals in the Jungle. Sleezys Rikers Beard is a healthy 8-2. Second place goes to Pats' Loose Seals who are 7-3. Just like in MoFo where it looks to inevitably be my team vs JiraffeJustin, it looks like a Sleezy vs Frightened Inmate #2 is the championship matchup to be.

Then fate steps in. We have 3 games left in the regular season. As Jim Morrison would say, whose gonna break on thru to the other side?

#11 Broncos Of Doom (2012 champions) 4-6

Dionnes formula would have worked better if he had more Bronco starters other than Manning and Denvers D. He's been having to make do with Denarious Moore, Delanie Walker, Aaron Dobson, and Rishard Matthews (?). This is the tale about how missing the draft can screw you. I dont see a surge coming here, but our champion could be a mean spoiler. Hes playing the #1 team this week, and Delanie Walker got 25 points last night! Upset a comin this week?

#10 The KWAN (2010 champions) 5-5

Yeah I got All Day, but my squads just fair to middlin this year. Rivers to Gates wasnt the explosion Id hoped it would be, and me trading Sleezy Desean Jackson for Steve Smith was stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid. The last 3 games Im facing teams ahead of me in the standings. Maybe I can catch a break in one hand and a fluke in the other?

#9 Brady's Bastard Son (2011 Champions) 5-5

I hate Tom Bradys overrated ass, and had to post this pic showing Richard Sherman dressing him down after their game. I like Richard Sherman Heres the caption -
Richard Sherman asks, "U MAD BRO?"

A triumphant Richard Sherman taunted Brady after the Seattle Seahawks beat the Patriots in October. Sherman intercepted Brady in the third quarter, which prompted Brady to tell the second-year cornerback to "see him after the game when they win," Sherman said. When the Seahawks came out on top, Sherman called the Patriots "a gimmick offense" and posted a photo of himself with a dejected Brady, along with the caption "U MAD BRO?"

This explains the why Joshuas team is 5-5. Otherwise he has some great weapons in Jamaal Charles, Antonio Brown, and wouldya believe Harry Douglas and Kendall Wright. Now that Sergeant Rarick is using a Brady/Dalton committee I truly do see a chance for his Bastard Son going forward. With some help of course.

Now, can you say "One handed catch with double coverage"?

#8 Jefes De Fuego 5-5

Kent lives! Taters got a heartbeat, and his days of him being the leagues weekly "free win" for teams is done. His team is undefeated (Kansas City), and he has the 2nd most valuable fantasy position on his squad, their defense. Spudracer will probably not break into the playoffs, but I think he'll finish with a winning record. Again!

#7 Hillbilly Handfishers 5-5

Chris n Tabithas squad has one of the most promising QBs in the NFL, some great WRs in Jordy, Tate, and Ashton Jeffries, but the run game is the drizzlin sh!ts (Trent Richardson & Joique Bell). Gronk coming back should help, but not having 2 starters earning in the running USUALLY means you cant go deep in the playoffs. This is PPR though......so amazingly Chris N Tabby have a shot still.

#6 Gotham City Rogues 6-4

Yoda has a solid squad, and they say CJ Spiller is getting healthier plus running more effectively. If Roddy White ever comes back I think it will be the last piece needed to get into the show for Chris B. Andre Johnson is flourishing under his new QB, and thats a huge relief to all his owners. Never thought Schaub would possibly be benched, but he was and it was the right call. The Rogues have the stuff to "steal" it all - ZING!

#5 Adam's Super Pigeon 6-4

Elliots team name must have some mojo attached to it as Adam is rockin n rollin along this season. LeSean McCoy is the real deal, Wes Welker, Jordan Reed, and now Case Keenum are steady each week for him too. Keenum has saved Adams bacon since Aaron Rodgers went out. I dont think Adam has enough weapons to break out, but yanevahknow'!

#4 Los Pollos Hermanos 6-4

Jiraffe Justin has some serious audacity if he thinks he can walk on in and dominate both leagues simultaniously. He might though. Luck, Marshall, Fitz, Lacy, Ellington, Carlson, & Cooper. There is no hole here. Everyone, watch out!!

All I can say to that is thank god there are still real footballers left in the NFL like Lynch. Screw microphone etiquette!

#3 Legion of Boom II 6-4

This is a three trick pony of Drew Brees, Marshawn Lynch, and Ty Hilton. Chris H is #3 overall because of them, but his other players are far from consistent. Pettigrew, Nicks, & Lamar Miller truly suck this year. I dont think PWs Jungle squad can make it past Adams Pigeons this week or beat Sleezys Beard in week 13. A strong showing though.

Who, if anyone, is gonna break the heart of Sleezys Beard or Pats Seals?! Or will both their hearts get broken?! We will see.

I'd go with Pat's team as the favorite. If you look at Sleezy's points for (6th) and points against (lowest in the league), you can see that the record is largely a product of the schedule. Which isn't a knock on Sleezy, of course. But in this case that's the difference between the 8-2 record and something like 6-4.

That said, it's really just about getting into the playoffs, because anything can happen there. Beyond that the only value to be had is advance roster construction (which involves a ton of speculation) or nabbing a bye, which only ends up being valuable in case your team randomly sucks in Week 14.

Let the night air cool you off
I think my team has a strong chance to make a run in the playoffs, but I have a tough match-up this week. Especially with Donald Brown already scoring 22 against me. It might not be my week.

Another week done, and theres still 8 teams able to fight their way into the playoffs.

Im one of those 8, my records 6-5, and Im going up against Jirrafes Hermanos. Not only have they outscored me this season, but my "above average" Rivers to Gates connectors facing Kansas City. To the pine they go! Im playing Heath Miller and (Im actually going back to my team page to remember the guys name) Scott Tolzien, the Packers fill-in. I hope Im right.

In the Beginning...
my "above average" Rivers to Gates connectors facing Kansas City. To the pine they go! Im playing Heath Miller and (Im actually going back to my team page to remember the guys name) Scott Tolzien, the Packers fill-in. I hope Im right.
Really? Kansas City is an epic defense, for sure, but you're still talking about benching Philip Rivers (who has a 104 passer rating and has thrown 19 touchdowns against only 8 INTs) in favor of a guy who was on the Packers' practice squad two weeks ago. Minnesota's secondary is pretty bad, I'll grant you, but it's likely to be an inclement weather game and Tolzien is just horribly ill-equipped and unprepared to produce in that offense. Maybe a week of practice will help, I don't know. But he could very well log nearer to 10 points than 20.

Heath Miller against Cleveland is a tough play, too. I've got him in the Mofo League and he's just not getting it done like Antonio Gates is. He'll be riding pine for me. I've learned (the hard way) that sometimes you have to roll with the better player, even if the match-up is less than ideal.

Really? Kansas City is an epic defense, for sure, but you're still talking about benching Philip Rivers (who has a 104 passer rating and has thrown 19 touchdowns against only 8 INTs) in favor of a guy who was on the Packers' practice squad two weeks ago. Minnesota's secondary is pretty bad, I'll grant you, but it's likely to be an inclement weather game and Tolzien is just horribly ill-equipped and unprepared to produce in that offense. Maybe a week of practice will help, I don't know. But he could very well log nearer to 10 points than 20.

Heath Miller against Cleveland is a tough play, too. I've got him in the Mofo League and he's just not getting it done like Antonio Gates is. He'll be riding pine for me. I've learned (the hard way) that sometimes you have to roll with the better player, even if the match-up is less than ideal.
Mmmmm! Tongo must ponder.

In the Beginning...
They did get screwed, though. Brady underthrew the ball, so pass interference shouldn't have applied... but Kuechly still committed defensive holding (applicable regardless of whether or not the ball is catchable).

That's perfectly true, but the penalty for defensive holding is just 5 yards, so they'd just have gotten to do the play over from the 18-yard-line and not the 23. So while it's a valid complaint, they weren't screwed out of the game so much as one more (relatively unlikely) chance to win it.

In the Beginning...
That's what I meant. Games can't end on a defensive penalty, so they should have been given an untimed down and 5 yards. Obviously calls are missed sometimes over the course of a game; that's just part of it. But I'm guessing it's frustrating to the Patriots that a flag was actually thrown on the play, and the referees conferred, but they ultimately just got it flat wrong with respect to the rules.

I'm not even a Patriot fan or anything, I just know how frustrating it is when your team should have had one more play, per the rules, and didn't get it. And when you're talking about Tom Brady, a Patriots TD from the 18 yard line isn't at all outside the realm of possibility.

I dig. I just mean that a lot of people start saying things like "that cost us the game," when they really mean "that cost us a small chance at winning the game." It ain't nothing, but over time that morphs into the mistaken idea that the non-call is why they lost, rather than the reason they lost in that particular war.

And yeah, I absolutely think the outrage has been tripled by the fact that a flag was initially thrown. The refs are partially paying for a missed call, but they're mainly paying for subjecting a few million people to a quick ride on an emotional roller coaster.