What if lightsabers were public domain?

Tools    

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
They kinda, sorta are I think. But under the generic "laser sword" sort of a thing. I wonder if they could call them beam blades or laser scimitars or something and skirt the copyright.

They kinda, sorta are I think. But under the generic "laser sword" sort of a thing. I wonder if they could call them beam blades or laser scimitars or something and skirt the copyright.
What film uses laser swords? Preferably something in the last 20 years.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I was more or less speculating hence the "I Think", and then kind of posed the question of "could they skirt the copyright". In truth, I'm kind of intrigued by this as well, as I did think they could use them in any given medium as long as it didn't use the term "lightsaber", I mean the concept of an fictional energy weapon can't be trademarked entirely, right?. I've seen them used in anime, comics and video games and it's usually just referred to as energy sword/blade. Does Star Wars really have a monopoly on energy swords?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wanted to post about Starcrash, too, but Omnizoa was faster. The movie is a masterpiece, you can't even say it's not.

The cartoon Ulysses 31 also featured a combination blaster and laser sword.

Wanted to post about Starcrash, too, but Omnizoa was faster. The movie is a masterpiece, you can't even say it's not.
It looks it .

I think every movie should start inserting a lightsaber scene...romantic comedies, westerns, European arthouse films. How awesome that would be. They could digitally insert lightsabers into The Seven Samurai. The possibilities are endless, if only...

Something's telling me that the Headless Monks in Doctor Who a few years ago used flame-like swords. I haven't seen the episode – I think I had a drain to clean.