Mastered The Year

→ in
Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Best Of The Year

Ive already made my top 100 favourite movies list, they were movies of all genres that I have enjoyed over many years. It was by no means a list of the best movies I've seen, it was a list of my favourites. I've seen a few of these threads pop up, and there a little different, and much harder, but I wanted to post the best movies I've ever seen. A list is impossible to do, so ime sticking with this theme...... Best Of The Year.

Ime going to post my Favourite movie of every year down to the 80's. Ime not going to bother with 70's, to be honest I havnt seen a whole deal of movies from that period. Maybe in time I can carry it on, but for now it's really not worth it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Cool, but why don't you improve the idea and post a top 5 or 10 of every year like I did on my RYM list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Cool, but why don't you improve the idea and post a top 5 or 10 of every year like I did on my RYM list.
You need to get more pre-1950s stuff in

Thread closed.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You need to get more pre-1950s stuff in
First I need to watch more pre-1950s stuff.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Django Unchained was the first Quentin Tarantino directed movie that I liked on the first viewing. While Inglourious Basterds iseasily one of my favorite movies (sitting at a 9.5/10), I initially rated it a 2. The same is true for the rest of his movies that I have seen to lesser degrees (except for Kill Bill vol 1, which I still hate). I honestly have no idea why I liked Django so easily, but it stands as my second favorite of his with superb writing and a great pair of co-leads (and an incredible villain). 8/10

Incidentally, I did prefer Flight to it in almost every respect (8.5/10), but both are incredible films.

Cool picks Masterman; those would be my 2nd and 3rd picks from 2012, after Killer Joe. I thought it was a really good year for movies.
I've not seen Killer Joe yet, need to watch it soon.

I've been a big Tarantino fan since the first time I seen Pulp Fiction. I love everything he's ever done, or ever really be involved in. Edit: tell I lie I hated Jackie Brown.
Jackie Brown > Django

How can you hate it and be a big Tarantino fan at the same time though? After Pulp Fiction it's probably his most Tarantinoesque film.

Jackie Brown > Django

How can you hate it and be a big Tarantino fan at the same time though? After Pulp Fiction it's probably his most Tarantinoesque film.
I think Jackie Brown is the weakest of Tarantino's movies.

You can still be a fan of someone and dislike something they have done.

I agree with Django Unchained. It is probably the best film I've seen so far from 2012 (with some concurrention from The Master and Moonrise Kingdom) and perhaps even from this decade so far.
It's a massively entertaining western epic that is stuffed with great dialogue, awesome scenes and interesting characters (aesthetically and substantively) and it also isn't afraid to shock with its heavy content.

It's also the film that fully made me realise that DiCaprio has many possibilities in the villain/comedy area, as I found his performance in this film to be absolutely BRILLIANT! Calvin Candie is for me probably the most memorable character of the decade so far.

I don't think our film tastes are quite similar from what I remember from your earlier top lists, but it's always nice to see that even people who like very different kind of films, still have some favorites in common.

Great choice!

I really liked Django, it just missed my top ten of last year though. I thought 2012 was a very solid year. Flight was probably my most disappointing movie of the year, not the worst, just dissappointing. Outside of the crash and Denzel's performance I was out on this movie.

I really liked Django, it just missed my top ten of last year though. I thought 2012 was a very solid year. Flight was probably my most disappointing movie of the year, not the worst, just dissappointing. Outside of the crash and Denzel's performance I was out on this movie.
What was your favourite of 2012?.

What was your favourite of 2012?.
I was a huge Lincoln fan, Looper was my runner up. They both blew me away for different reasons. I am really curious how Looper will hold up.

Django Unchained was the first Quentin Tarantino directed movie that I liked on the first viewing. While Inglourious Basterds iseasily one of my favorite movies (sitting at a 9.5/10), I initially rated it a 2.
Whoa...how the hell does a film go from a 2 to a 9.5????

I get maybe bumping a film from a 6 to a 7, or maybe even an 8...but a 2 to a 9.5??? That's too much!!!

Thread Closed.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Whoa...how the hell does a film go from a 2 to a 9.5????

I get maybe bumping a film from a 6 to a 7, or maybe even an 8...but a 2 to a 9.5??? That's too much!!!
The way that I viewed it then, it started off really well (the first scene in France), but then rapidly degraded into the worst extremes of Tarantino's problems: overly long, uninterrupted scenes of dialog that had nothing to do with the plot, seemingly included only to show how clever Tarantino was. The prime example of this was the bar scene, whose conversations on ground level went on for so incredibly long and were so completely unrelated to the plot at hand that I honestly forgot why the Basterds were down in the basement to begin with.

I gave it a rematch only because a friend of mine asked to watch it and I was honestly dumbfounded by my extreme shift in opinion, although I still think that the bar scene goes on for too long and is too divorced from the plot (honestly the only reason why I don't rate the movie a 10). It is the only one to shift so dramatically (and the only ones that are close to it did so piecemeal, one viewing at a time). Maybe I wasn't being fair to it the first time around or maybe I wasn't in the right mind set for it, but I've come around to it since (and its new score has held up on further viewings to boot).

Lord High Filmquisitor
I haven't seen Warrior yet, though I want to. Drive is also my #2 of the year (behind The Artist), which is an immensely entertaining and rewatchable film.

I thought Warrior was a decent film. My favorite of the year was Drive, that movie has everything. Its visceral, stylish, and great characters. My second favorite from thst year is A Separation. I love well written, dialogue driven movies and A Separation fits the bill perfectly. I rewatched The Descendants recently, which was #4 on my list. That movie is fantastic and could move up a couple spots for me.

I didn't like Django Unchained. Warrior was good though, it would defiantly be in my top 5 of 2011.

My choices for those years:

2012 - The Dark Knight Rises
Runner Up: The Cabin In The Woods
2011 - Source Code
Runner Up: True Grit