POLL: New Simpsons Movie!

Tools    

Well everyone, it's official: Matt Groening, after years of humming and twiddling his thumbs over it, has finally decided to go ahead and create "The Simpsons: The Movie" - it's about dang time!

Anyway, aside from posting your thoughts on the upcoming flick, I thought I'd throw in a poll as well (why not?).

Let the conversation begin!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
It should be sickeningly funny if they keep entirely to the spirit of the show. If they don't, well ... it'll suck.

Movie-tos. The freshmaker.

Well said - the show is ridiculously funny...I wonder how they'll translate it into a movie? Downside is that with it being fully animated, the flick will probably take quite awhile. My bet is around 2 years from now...with plenty of hype beforehand.

Ted
Hi Chris,

What do you mean "fully animated"? Do you mean just because it is an animated feature? Or do you mean animated by hand?

Seems to me that with animation as crude and unsophisticated as the Simpson's (I'm not complaining - that's part of its appeal - and I think its one of the best shows on TV) that the creation of the animation itself could be pumped out in relatively no time. No?

(I haven't stopped by here in a while, looks nice and things seem to picking up - nice job.)

The fact that its an animated movie...they generally take longer.

The average Simpsons 30-minute episode takes 6(!!!!!) months to create....that is, from the concept, to the script, to the animation, to the voices...of course, as soon as a the writers finish a script, they start another...so we don't have to wait half a year for each new episode. With a movie, however, it would all be one giant project...meaning it could easily take a year of work...

The Adventure Starts Here!
What I'd be worried about with a Simpsons movie is a replay of what happened with the South Park movie: totally crossing the line once it leaves television.

Let's face it: Simpsons is broadcast TV, the tamest of anything on your set. Who knows what Groening will do once he's freed of those shackles? I remember him from the days of his independent comics of Akbar and Jeff and Life From Hell, and those were a bit edgy for their time. Even the Simpsons themselves were much cruder-looking and not nearly so cute at first as they are now.

I don't mind raw humor, but once the humor becomes based in the fact that you're flaunting basic decency and not based on things that are just funny, well, you've pretty much lost me. Crudeness and swearing aren't funny just because they exist, and that's where the South Park movie departed from the South Park I like on Comedy Central.

Wow...a dissertation. Sorry.

Or, Chris, is that what you meant by "sickeningly" funny?

So funny that you want to throw up: basically very very very very very very funny.

I don't think we'll be saying another too rough with the Simpsons movie...a lot of kids love the show and the creators know it...I expect a hyper-funny (hyper-long) episode where something really "big" happens.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I think this movie will be freaking hilarious. But I also think its going to suck. It'll ruin the appeal of the show for me. I was so happy when I heard they weren't going to make a movie. I'm quiet dissapointed they are. The show is my favorite show, next to Seinfeld, but for some reason I think the movie is going to ruin the show. It seems to much like a stunt to make the series more popular. Oh well.

You really think so? I understand to a degree but overall think it'll be hillarious - and therefore, a good thing. The new episodes are good, but not AS good...I think Groening has put more time into "Futurama"...I think this will really help jump-start interest in the series again.

Tim
They are going to go ahead with it? Awesome! I heard that they would start on a movie after the series was cancelled. I know I am going to see it when it comes out! The Simpsons has been my favorite TV show for who knows how long.

t t t the SIMPSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on the big screen!! oh my god can movies get any better than this?
With the obvious brilliance of the simpsons and the suberb ideas that Matt Groening and his team manage to create. This movie has to and should be one of the greatest and funniest films of ALL TIME. I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that Matt is BETTER than that. I DO NOT agree with even ATTEMPTING to destroy something as sacred as THE SIMPSONS with a MOVIE. Now, on the other hand I doubt SERIOUSLY that Groening will make another "South Park" line-crossing romp, as funny as it WAS.

If Matt wants a movie, I have a strange feeling that
it will disappoint those who WANT something much EDGIER, as Mr. Groening is HIGHLY intelligent and while the movie
WOULD be somewhat more free than a TV show, I think he would realistically keep it nailed down to the show's formula.
THAT might prove profitable, NOT a SHOCK-FEST like South Park was.

South Park? Groening worked on that?

I think a movie is the next logical step in the Simpsons wolrd - isn't that how it's always supposed to go? I also think it will be PG-13...Matt knows his audience consists of plenty of children and teenagers - he's smarter than that.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
no, not saying Groening did South Park, just that people are afraid he'll do to Simpsons what Trey and Matt did with South Park. To me though, the south park movie was pretty much what they'd do on the show if there weren't censors to worry about, come on, they're the same guys who make both. People acted like they just went so out of control but it's like, no, it's pretty much the same and pretty friggin hilarious, just as on the show. and you do realize that the movie was an incredibly good and totally legitimate musical, right? regardless of the profanity. even my film studies prof mentioned it, though we didn't get into it.

that's how trey and matt kept it honorable. they let loose cause that's what we wanted and they wanted all along, and it didn't lose the laughs and it was a terrifically talented composition. matt COMPOSED all those songs - he has a musical background. that's talent, can't deny it.

as for the simpsons - come on, if they have christmas and holloween tri-feature specials and they even have them in video stores for rent, those might as well be mini-movies. and you're right, might as well move to movies. there's nothing wrong with this, so long as it's done right (aka, SP). Groening has a huge fan base and I'd like to add it's not just kids/teens. A whole lot of young adults (ie, 18-29) have mentioned they watch it and people older do too. It's just comforting and funny and quality to the American public. it fits the American psyche - the family and the antics. Groening will stick to intelligent humor that strokes the funny bones of his entire demographic, and will know that the formula used in his show will have to aplly to the movie.

as for futurama - it just hasn't moved me at all and I know he really wants it to work but it just doesn't have the oomph. it's like irreverent comedy that barely has a concrete foundation - the simpsons has an entire community of people, a recognizable family unit, all of which provide countless scenarios that can continue to be tapped. in the the first episode of futurama, where the robot actually crapped a brick and I cracked up laughing, that was all that was funny. everything else was pretty lame. and despite a few gems along the way like that, Futurama really hasn't clicked. i think it needs to branch out and get more in depth with the basic plot and variou storylines cause it's just so random and it's basically a cartoon star trek with some blah action for the most part and a couple of laughs occasionally.

Are you kidding me man? Futurama is hillarious! Most episodes are fairly funny, but already there have been a few VERY good ones.

One that comes to mind is the "Neutral Planet"...

"Captain - we're under attack."
"Go to beige alert."

"If I don't live through this...tell my wife I said 'Hello'"

Tell me that's not hillarious And you absolutely HAVE to love "Zap Branagan"

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Futurama is a freaking hilarious show. I laugh at it everytime I see it. Bendor is one of the funniest characters ever created. But about the Simpsons movie. I don't think it will be anything like the South Park movie. They won't rate it R cause then they would lose millions of viewers. I think they'll maintain a pg-13 rating, but will make it alot more crude than the tv show is, which will be good.

lol - I saw that episiod of Futurama!

I am definitaly looking forward to the Simpsons movie. I don't think that it should even be compared to South Park, because in my opinion, South Park isn't a really good show - whereas the Simpsons Kick Butt! South Park is more of a dumb, low humor show, where the Simpsons is a show where to get all of the jokes, you have to pay attention. So - I just hope The Simpsons Movie comes out soon...I wanna see it.

John

South Park can be one of the funniest things ANYWHERE sometimes...but I personally think it's funnier to hear words bleeped out than not...like Adam Sandler in "Happy Gilmore" where he's on the TV set in the background bleeping away...wouldn't be as funny if not for the intentional censoring.

FYI: I didn't like the South Park movie much...had its moments as usual, and the songs were brilliant, but not as funny as the show usually is.

what would me good is for matt Groening to get the creative skills of monty python team add his humor & inventiveness
and what dya have possibly one of the greatest films ever!
COME ON MATT THINK ABOUT THE POSSIBILITIES!

Didn't see it.
Pretty funny. I love the Simpsons, but it seems like the show has gotten lamer and lamer over the past couple of years. I don't know if they are running out of material or what, but I don't think it is as funny as the early years.