Movie that Ruined the Book

Tools    

The Fat of the Mailbox
I know compaining books and movies is like compairing apples and oranges, but some of them ruin the books while others glorify them.

My favorite book to movies are, Clockwork Orange, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I think Breakfast of Champoions could have done a better job considering the book they had to work with is a masterpeice. Although it wasn't a bad movie it could have been a lot more.

What do you MoFo's think?

just so I am getting this right..

you LIKE Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas ????

A novel adaptation.
I'm a big fan of the idea of Hunter S. Thompson, not so much the execution.

Anyways, I think a lot of books have been ruined by movies, but also, a lot of movies have gone elsewhere with the idea of the book. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, for instance, was a brilliant book, that was turned into the very enjoyable, but also very different Blade Runner.

When a filmmaker tackles a book, s/he is going up against the impossible, a bok can convey freely so much more than a film can convey visually, that you are sure to dissapoint.

In this sense, it's unfair t compare books to their film adaptations, because, even if the film goes byy the book verbatim, the images in your head when reading the book will never match the filmmakers interpretation.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Two stick out for me:

Battlefield Earth -Great read (1st 500 odd pages anyway)
&
The Running Man -Crap film of course. Book had a lot more action,tension and Gore.

The Fat of the Mailbox
Yes it is unfair to compair books to movies, but I am anyways. They can do a lot with movies nowa days.

I loved Fear and Lothing, I'm a big fan of drug movies (dosn't mean I'm a big fan of drugs).

Did Hitchhikers Guide... ever become a movie.
I think a reaaly good director with a big budget could make it a really great film.

It by Stephen King, is my favorite novel he ever wrote, however, It is the WORST adaption ever made from one of his books.

I agree that Battlefield Earth is terrible. They totally left out 2/3 of the entire story. Very disappointing. I loved that book.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I thought Kubrick's version of The Shining was a sorry adaptation. The book was awesome, but the film took so much out of the story, threw in stuff from nowhere, and ruined the ending. Stephen King's version was closer to the book.

hmm, i actually thought kubric's version was an improvement on 'the shining.' cut out a lot of the fat, so to speak. basically, i thought the strenght of both was in the creepyness of the mood rather than in the plot, and the movie pulled it off creepier.

-i was kind of annoyed with a lot of stuff in last years 'lord of the rings' adaptation, took about an hour or so to get into it and ignore my major gripes with it's failure to live up to my favorite parts of the book.
-assuming that 'apocalypse now' is an adaptation of 'heart of darkness' i'd also have to say that i was severely dissapointed. that is to say, after reading the book, i thought the movie was even more overrated than i had previously.