Movie ONLY DVD's or Extras?

Tools    

Movie ONLY DVD's or W/Extras?
0%
0 votes
Movie only-who wants to see all that other ****?
100.00%
13 votes
Cram Packed-Bring on the xtra crap!
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The More Extras, the Better, Director Says
source: VideoStore Magazine pg 10

Director Michael Apted doesn’t know why studios so often release movie-only DVD editions on the initial go-round, only to follow them with extras-laden special editions. Maybe it’s because it takes so long to prepare a special edition that studios don’t want to risk missing the theatrical-to-video window, he surmised.

“But what do I know?” Apted said. “The more stuff you put in a DVD, the better.”

And that’s exactly what will happen with two of the British director’s most recent films, Enigma and Enough, which Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is releasing first in extras-light versions (Enough streets Oct. 8, Enigma Sept. 24), then in special editions.

Apted clearly prefers the latter because of the insights they provide into the movie-making process. “I think it adds a whole other dimension to seeing the film,” he said.

Both Enigma, a drama centered around World War II code breakers, and Enough, which stars Jennifer Lopez as a young wife who flees her abusive husband with her daughter, will arrive in spring of next year sporting loads of extras, including audio commentaries, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes footage and other content, such as Enough’s material about battered wives, he said.

Apted is no stranger to DVD, as a host of his feature films and documentaries have made it to disc, from the nonfiction Forty Two Up to the James Bond flick The World Is Not Enough. He recently completed work on Thunderheart, a 1992 mystery set on an Indian reservation starring Val Kilmer and Sam Shepard, which will contain deleted scenes and a commentary. And he’s preparing to do Coal Miner’s Daughter, which earned Sissy Spacek the 1980 Best Actress Academy Award, and for which he hopes the actress will join him for the audio commentary.

In fact, Apted prefers to record commentaries with someone else involved in the production, as he did with screenwriter Nicholas Kazan for the Enough special edition. He had wanted Enigma screenwriter Tom Stoppard (an Academy Award winner for Shakespeare in Love) to participate in the commentary track for that special edition, but the famed playwright was not available.

“I prefer doing it with a writer,” Apted said. “It’s a bit burdensome on my own.”

Not all of Apted’s movies are released on DVD with extras. The director is disappointed that his 1983 feature Gorky Park hit stores sans extras.

He regrets it when studios release older films in movie-only editions.

“Just to bring it out without a special edition, you’re missing an opportunity,” he said.

And given the format’s flexibility, studios can include several versions of a film to suit differing consumers’ tastes -- which he finds relevant in light of the litigation between video rental company Clean Flicks’ and the Directors Guild of America over the right to edit films for family consumption.

Apted said he “sort of suggests privately” that a disc can contain an expurgated version of a film in addition to the original, rather than leaving the cuts up to “any old fool” who makes the edits and puts them in stores for profit.

“Maybe the DVD could contain the TV version if the material is volatile,” he said.

So my question, sparked byt the above article.... how do you like 'em?

Gotta have my extras.

A novel adaptation.
I love ( ) extras. Although, the only thing that I really look out for and enjoy, would be director's commentary. Thusly, Pulp Fiction would be a definite DVD dissapointment, whereas Cq was fantastic. However, I can't stand most of the crap that they just throw on those things nowadays.

I love the extras too, guess I couldve pu tthat up there. I so love blooper reels its not even funny....

Fighting out of the Lions Den
It just isn`t a DVD without extras...they`re a major reason for DVD`s remarkable uptake and popularity.
I generally like em all, but still have a passion for a particulary good `Making Of` ...My favourite example of which is the 80 minute one still to be found on The Thing.

If the DVD didnt have extras than i would just get VHS, i mean im not going to pay twenty dollars extra for just the quality, i love the directors commentry and the bloopers, so give me extras or give me a VHS

I rarely ever bother checking out the extra junk unless it's a special film like LOTR. Most important to me is that it's wide screen or has that option. I dislike cropped films.

Alex DeLarge

what I do I do because I like to do

Originally posted by Naisy
If the DVD didnt have extras than i would just get VHS, i mean im not going to pay twenty dollars extra for just the quality, i love the directors commentry and the bloopers, so give me extras or give me a VHS
Agreed!

I mostly only like commentary by the screenwriter.

I have some bare-bones dvds but I do prefer a nice 2-disc set.

Follow the White Rabbit ...
Agreed, however it depends what the extras are. Promotional material (trailers, tv-spots, one-sheet posters/marketting campaign galleries) that studios often pile of DVD's instead of real content are pretty much a waste of space and can hardly be called "extras." Also I'd prefer no extras to having alot crammed onto one disc, and the film quality suffer (lower bit-rate as a result). My most wanted extra on any DVD is at least one commentry track. Imo. they offer the best insight into the film making process, and depending on who is speaking can be quite interesting (though sometimes very boring, also, lol).

Well that pretty conclusive 100% of voters want extras on their DVDs. (Someones going to vote for just the film now to spite me!)

Thats what DVD is. If I wanted to watch the film i'd pay a fiver for it on VHS but i pay £20 on DVD. I think im entitled to a bit extra don't you? I rather there were a few crappy features on it than nothing at all. Putting nothing on a DVD release is just lazy.

As for Superbit DVDs don't get me started. DVD quality is good enough for 95% of all home systems, if not more. Its just an excuse to get people to buy a film again in my opinion. Its better, honest!

Peter Jackson has proved that you can have shedloads of extras in a set and it still be reasonably priced. Four commentaries on a disc and it was still a fantastic picture transfer. Okay the film was split over two discs but 100 minutes is plenty for most films nowadays.

I want it all..........gimme the extras!!!!!!!

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......