MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

Yeah, water retention alone can cause lots of fluctuations. One gallon of water is eight pounds. If I eat well all day but have some chips before bed I can spike upwards the next morning for that reason alone.

Good to hear your are on a healthy path, Swan! Keep it up man.

I'm slowly getting into my old routines after vacation and it's always hard until a few short weeks in. Then it usually gets easier... I'm going for a run today. I'm not exactly fat but because I used to be fit and then gained weight I'm kinda in good shape, muscles, six pack and all, but all of it is behind this layer of fat you know? I can feel it and even see it if I flex, but there is still a good amount that needs to be trimmed away.

Standing on a scale first thing in the morning and seeing my weight go down just makes the rest of my day great and really motivates me. One of the best feelings in the world for a fat dude.

It just keeps going down! It's amazing realizing how easy all this actually is, and the only reason people don't think so is because we've made eating and nutrition so overly complicated. Eating should be enjoyable, it's a little unfortunate in retrospect that in this day and age we have to actually make an effort to eat right, because it should be the other way around. But once you figure out how to eat right, it's kind of a breeze and more rewarding than eating junk. Especially when the best types of food (fruits and veggies) tend to have the least packaging and advertising. You don't need to look at the nutrition facts with a stick of celery or a tomato. You can eat that stuff and be good.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What's your next intended hike, swan? Gee man, soon you'll be high altitude mountaineering.

Today!

EDIT: Thought you said when. I'm not sure where, might just be Nisene Marks but hopefully we'll go a bit longer than we did the other day.

'Sherpa Swan' has a certain ring to it does it not?

Keep up the good work do0od, hope it remains easy for you 'cos I gotta be honest and admit it's still a struggle for me at times

Today!

EDIT: Thought you said when. I'm not sure where, might just be Nisene Marks but hopefully we'll go a bit longer than we did the other day.
I just googled that. Stunning!

'Sherpa Swan' has a certain ring to it does it not?

Keep up the good work do0od, hope it remains easy for you 'cos I gotta be honest and admit it's still a struggle for me at times
I feel for you. I struggled too and thought I'd never change my bad habits. I might still struggle from time to time as well, who knows? I've only just begun.

I guess all I can say is don't get yourself down for struggling, just aim to try better in the way that feels right. If it helps one thing that worked for me, never having been a "goals guy" before, is making an effort to start setting specific goals with this stuff.

I'm not really one to be all mentor-y though as I'm still in the learning process and have only really just begun, but honestly I feel like every aspect of my life has been benefited from this. No joke, I still can't think of one thing that hasn't.

I just googled that. Stunning!
It's a nice place and they've got a few trails of various lengths. My friends and I are trying to get me in shape right now, and one of our goals is to be able to do the 10 mile hike.

It's a nice place and they've got a few trails of various lengths. My friends and I are trying to get me in shape right now, and one of our goals is to be able to do the 10 mile hike.
Photos please or it didnt happen.

Good for you, swanny.

I feel for you. I struggled too and thought I'd never change my bad habits. I might still struggle from time to time as well, who knows? I've only just begun.

I guess all I can say is don't get yourself down for struggling, just aim to try better in the way that feels right. If it helps one thing that worked for me, never having been a "goals guy" before, is making an effort to start setting specific goals with this stuff.

I'm not really one to be all mentor-y though as I'm still in the learning process and have only really just begun, but honestly I feel like every aspect of my life has been benefited from this. No joke, I still can't think of one thing that hasn't.
Take no notice of me I'm just having a particularly rough week this week irl which is unfortunately impacting on my eating habits ..... I've no doubts I'll be back on the sunny road to Slimdom before long

Genuinely pleased for you mate!!

but honestly I feel like every aspect of my life has been benefited from this. No joke, I still can't think of one thing that hasn't.
Yes, this. One of the things that gets people upfront, I think, is thinking of weight or health as just one thing of many that needs attention, but it ripples throughout your entire life. People might think they have a weight problem, and a sleep problem, and an energy problem, and a mood disorder, and a skin problem, and a problem feeling overwhelmed or stressed...and eating well and/or exercising actually helps improve all of these things.

I just googled flora and fauna there. Expecting lots of leafer colour for fall, swanny.

So my weight is kind of fluctuating, and it’s been confusing. Let me explain though. The other day I apparently lost three pounds, and I’m not sure how that’s possible. When I weighed myself this morning though, I weight about two pounds more than that. My dad said not to rely completely on the scale because there are so many factors determining weight, and as long as I keep my healthy lifestyle going and am making progress over the long run, little ticks like this weight weirdness are okay. I had two big meals yesterday which may explain the weight gain of two pounds. They were very healthy meals but when I woke up in the morning I didn’t feel the same amount of hungry stomach as when I lost three pounds, so I’m figuring I still had food in my stomach (or more than the morning prior), which may have contributed. But I need to not worry about it, right? As long as I keep up what I’m doing.

I also didn’t get much physical exercise yesterday, which is really embarrassing. I’m going to kick ass today. The day before yesterday I went to the gym with some friends and literally could only do five minutes on the treadmill before I started getting dizzy. Part of this is not enough water, but also… man, I’m more out of shape than I thought!

All is good, and I’m still as motivated as ever. But it is starting to prove less easy than I initially thought. No biggie. My diet and overall lifestyle has changed for the good, and I figure only good can come from that.

Ditch the scales, swanny. Go by the feel of your pants. And up your water intake.

Ditch the scales, swanny. Go by the feel of your pants. And up your water intake.
This is good advice, thank you. However, and maybe I'm being stupid doing this, but I'm going to keep tracking my weight just to see long-term progress. I'm not going to rely on it anymore, though. As long as I keep up a healthy lifestyle, I am good.

This is good advice, thank you. However, and maybe I'm being stupid doing this, but I'm going to keep tracking my weight just to see long-term progress. I'm not going to rely on it anymore, though. As long as I keep up a healthy lifestyle, I am good.
OK then I suggest only once a week; not daily, and that;s coming from someone who was once addicted to daily. it can get you down because your body naturally fluctuates. Try to shift your focus more towards how great you feel each day and less on numbers. It will keep you positive.

Oh man every time I see your avatar I want some blueberries.

My own health at the moment - bloody hell I ended up in an emergency chiropractic appointment yesterday. Rotated pelvis and another effing cracked rib. MEDIC!!! I have absolutely no idea how I did it. Chiro is lovely but she made me scream lil screams for an hour.