Best alien character created in a movie or TV-series.

Tools    

Name an alien character created for a movie or TV show. You can also add an image and a short description if you like.

I would start with Lorien an important character in Babylon 5 TV-show a very wise and powerful alien - he was the very first of the First Ones, and the very first of them to gain sentience. He was discovered by John Sheridan on Z'ha'dum.
John Sheridan died on Z'ha'dum and was resuscitated by Lorien who gave him 20 more years to live.

I imagine you'd be okay with either, but a clarifying question: were you thinking best in terms of design, or best in terms of characterization? It sounds like the latter, given the example you chose, though I ask because when I saw the title I immediately thought of the former.

Characterisation/message-wise, maybe Christopher Johnson from District 9. I love that movie. I don’t always have strong views about creature design, unless it’s more world-building like in Annihilation.

Characterisation/message-wise, maybe Christopher Johnson from District 9.
This was literally my first thought, too, when considering the second taxonomy.

For creature design, I'd have to think more, but I'd incline towards the more abstract ones, the more "nothing particularly humanoid about them" ones.

I imagine you'd be okay with either, but a clarifying question: were you thinking best in terms of design, or best in terms of characterization? It sounds like the latter, given the example you chose, though I ask because when I saw the title I immediately thought of the former.
The latter. Was thinking about the best alien idea and also the best alien as a concept whose behavior would create an impact on the story. I can think of plenty examples, but everyone feel free to add your choice.

The latter. Was thinking about the best alien idea and also the best alien as a concept whose behavior would create an impact on the story. I can think of plenty examples, but everyone feel free to add your choice.
I have one that's a very creative alien idea. The intelligent, radiation mutated giant crabs in Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). The crab creatures consumed the members of a scientific expedition that came to an uninhabited South Pacific island...and have the ability to absorb their minds allowing them to talk in their victims voices telepathically to a second scientific expedition. Kind of unique for a giant creature flick.

I have one that's a very creative alien idea. The intelligent, radiation mutated giant crabs in Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957). The crab creatures consumed the members of a scientific expedition that came to an uninhabited South Pacific island...and have the ability to absorb their minds allowing them to talk in their victims voices telepathically to a second scientific expedition. Kind of unique for a giant creature flick.
I think I remember about this one. I know I've read somewhere that it was meant to be like a low budget movie but it turned out to become quite a success way back then
Since you mentioned telepathy, here's another one from Star Trek this time (your favorite TV Show) - from Enterprise in the episode called "Exile" - an alien named Tarquin - a 400 year old telepathic alien who was exiled on a distant planet because of his telepathic powers.
Tarquin was able to connect with various minds very deeply being able to read everyone's mind from large distances.
He could extend his telepathy with an egg shaped object which he received from his relatives as a going away present
Tarquin contacts Hoshi Sato from Enterprise and it's an entire interesting story developing from there

We all know my pick, but I really came here to express disappointment that we can't include Ax. And if you're cultured, you know Ax.

Gotta go with the Talosians from Star Trek. It's a fascinating (no pun intended) idea that a species that forced theselves to live underground to be alone with their thoughts for several years would evolve mentally in a way that lets them be telepathic and project illusions.

Gotta go with the Talosians from Star Trek. It's a fascinating (no pun intended) idea that a species that forced theselves to live underground to be alone with their thoughts for several years would evolve mentally in a way that lets them be telepathic and project illusions.
Talosians appear in Star Trek (TOS), but also in Discovery with a few minor changes in their appearance. The heaviness of their head remains the same though Cool species. They kinda remind me of the soul hunters from Babylon 5

But they were a bit different, having the power of sensing when someone was close to death... this one was played by Martin Sheen...

Hard to say "best", but in memory of the recently late Louis Gossett Jr., I'll give a mention to the alien character he played in Enemy Mine (1985).
Loved that movie with Dennis Quaid. Drac was a pretty cool alien design and the planet's environment was also pretty awesome.
I guess I've seen Dennis Quaid last time in Fortitude.

Talosians appear in Star Trek (TOS), but also in Discovery with a few minor changes in their appearance. The heaviness of their head remains the same though Cool species. They kinda remind me of the soul hunters from Babylon 5

But they were a bit different, having the power of sensing when someone was close to death... this one was played by Martin Sheen...
Disappointed to hear that the Talosians appear in Discovery and not Strange New Worlds because I have no desire to revisit that show despite this revelation. I did not love it.

As for Babylon 5, it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like that TV movie and even Martin Sheen's performance. When it comes to that series' aliens, you don't get much more interesting than the Vorlons. You have to admire JMS's guts that he created a species that are essentially gods for how they influenced the evolution of so many other species.

Disappointed to hear that the Talosians appear in Discovery and not Strange New Worlds because I have no desire to revisit that show despite this revelation. I did not love it.

As for Babylon 5, it's an unpopular opinion, but I really like that TV movie and even Martin Sheen's performance. When it comes to that series' aliens, you don't get much more interesting than the Vorlons. You have to admire JMS's guts that he created a species that are essentially gods for how they influenced the evolution of so many other species.
I'm not a fan of Discovery either. They ruined it with too many "parallel universe" scenes, even though special effects and some aliens are very well conceived.
Saru for example played by "Guillermo del Toro's favorite - Doug Jones. Despite the fact that he is afraid of almost anything (mostly), looks like an interesting new character - a Kelpien. I think it is the first time when this kind of species appears in Star Trek if I'm not wrong.

This Gungan right here - it's not even close!

I love the design and worldbuilding of the Heptapod aliens in The Arrival. I love their unique design, and the unique way they think and experience the world around them.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heptapods.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	98254  

Grand Nagus Zek - Star Trek DS9

Among the oldest and respected Ferengis in the Galaxy A true visionary - one of the Ferengi Alliance leaders.
Always mad about "profit" like any other Ferengi. He tried to expand his businesses into the Gamma Quadrant.
His character was played by Wallace Shawn.

His loyal servant Maihar'du a Hupyrian who took a vow of silence - he was allowed to speak only to the Nagus.