Novelist friend needs movie suggestion...

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Hey, all you film literati here! A novelist friend of mine has an older lady character in the novel he's writing now. She is a movie buff and he needs a movie reference for his book. He needs her to have a favorite movie. Here's how he puts it:

"Question: What was her favorite movie? Needs to be one of the old, old classics, preferably something that will mesh somewhat with loss and struggle and redemption and survival. Any ideas?"

Any suggestions besides the obvious? So far we've mentioned It's a Wonderful Life, The Shop Around the Corner, The Apartment, Marty, City Lights, and some others, but he doesn't want something that obvious. Something an older movie buff would know but not necessarily something everyone on the planet would know.

Any help is appreciated, gang! Thanks!

Linda

dam sorry the only one that i could think of was in that list, It's a Wonderful Life, good luck with that tho

We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five. -Jack Black (High Fidelity)

As You Desire Me (1932), starring Greta Garbo
Dark Victory (1939), starring Bette Davis
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), starring Barbara Satnwyck
The Secret of Madame Blanche (1933), starring Irene Dunne
Madame X (1937), starring Gladys George
Suddenly, Last Summer (1959), starring Liz Taylor & Kate Hepburn
A Place in the Sun (1951), starring Monty Clift & Liz Taylor
The Rose Tattoo (1955), starring Anna Magnani & Burt Lancaster
Magnificent Obsession (1954), starring Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson
The Pumpkin Eater (1964), starring Anne Bancroft & Peter Finch
Odd Man Out (1947), starring James Mason

Or, just have them watch TCM 24/7 for a few weeks, and something's bound to strike 'em.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
THANKS, Holden! Of all the folks here at MoFo, I was hoping you'd be one to reply. I copied and pasted your list to my friend just now. He'll probably rent a few of them via Netflix and find one that suits his character.

This is MOST helpful! Reputation points for you!

Gratefully,
Linda

YoUr FrIeNd &TrUsTeD aDvIsOr
THE CAT AND THE COOKOO.
its fantabulis! its about a bunch of rich people in an old mansion and an escaped mental ward paitiant escaped and terrorizes the house geusts...(to put it simply)if you check it out it would fit perfectly...heres twists and all in all Its one of the ONLY old movies I actually enjoy. circa' about 1940's