Trying to identify movie title

Tools    

Hi, I recall watching a movie on cable TV around 1990(?). It was about an assortment of people who all somehow ended up in the same house and found themselves trapped inside. Turns out they were dead and awaiting their judgement. Can anyone recall the name of the movie? Thanks

Do you remember any further details?

It doesn't ring any immediate bells for me, but sounds like a slight variation on Sutton Vane's play Outward Bound - made as the film Between Two Worlds (1944), or Bruce Jay Friedman's play Steambath - made into a memorable TV movie in 1973.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Do you remember any further details?

It doesn't ring any immediate bells for me, but sounds like a slight variation on Sutton Vane's play Outward Bound - made as the film Between Two Worlds (1944), or Bruce Jay Friedman's play Steambath - made into a memorable TV movie in 1973.

It was a fairly new movie at that time. No more than a few yrs old. I don't recall any of the players. I thought Michael Madsen was in it but his filmography doesn't show anything like it. I looked it up in the TV guide at the time but the movie listed was incorrect. The movie revolved around the occupants/visitors trying to understand their predicament. It seems like the house was an ultra modern kinda place with locking shutters, etc that kept them in place. In the end, one of the players went into the "bright light" and the meaning of the film was clear.

Over the years nobody has ever heard of this movie and I'm even beginning to wonder if I didn't fall asleep and dream this up. There is a movie Madsen was in called "The House in the Hills" in '93 but the story line is different according to the synopsi I find online. I've tried to rent it locally but it isn't available.

Found it.

In Between (1991), starring Wings Hauser (A Soldier's Story, Tough Guys Don't Dance), a mostly straight-to-video and episodic televison guest star character actor who is the square-jawed fella you likely confused with Madsen in your head. Alexandra Paul ("Baywatch") and Robin Mattson ("Santa Barbara, All My Children") are the other two souls in that Purgatory, and Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Me Myself & Irene) is the Angel of Death. It is available on VHS in the U.S., though good luck finding it at your local video store.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Wings Hauser and Michael Madsen, thus the confusion.

That's it. You are the Master! Thank you.