Entertainment Weekly has devised a list of the Top 25 Simpsons Episodes Ever to commemorate the 300th episode which is airing shortly.

There are some damned fine choices in there [and the reasoning for them is just as good], and some of them [number twenty five, for example] seem to be token episodes added because, well, they were big deal events, so to speak.

And the best episode ever is....

01. Last Exit To Springfield
"You can't treat the working man this way. One day, we'll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!"

02. Rosebud
"I want this Simpson fellow to perform comedy at my party. I must harness his fractured take on modern life."

03. Cape Feare
"Oh my God, someone's trying to kill me! Oh wait, it's for Bart."

04. Marge Vs. The Monorail
"I still think we ought to spend the money to fix Main Street."
"Well, you should've written a song like that guy."

05. Homer's Phobia
"He didn't give you gay, did he? Did he?"

06. Mr. Plow
"Dear Lord. In your infinite wisdom, you know the number to call when you need a plow is KLONDIKE 5-3226."
"Homer, this is really low."
"Not as low as my low, low prices!"

07. Itchy And Scratchy Land
"When you get to Hell, tell 'em Itchy sent you!"

08. A Fish Called Selma
"Is this a sham marriage?"
"Sure, baby. Is that a problemo?"

09. Treehouse Of Horror V
"Tell you what. We come back and everyone's slaughtered, I owe you a coke."

10. The Last Temptation Of Homer
"Hee hee. Did you know Hogan had tunnels all over your camp?"

11. Duffless
"Well, Edna, for a school with no Asian kids I think we put on a darn good science fair."

12. I Love Lisa
"Six simple words: I'm not gay, but I'll learn."

13. The City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson
"How frightfully rude! I do hope someone stabs him in the eye."

14. 22 Short Films About Springfield
"Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of the day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?"

15. Homer At The Bat
"Uh...sir...I'm afraid...all those players have retired and...uh...passed on. In fact, your right-fielder has been dead for a hundred and thirty years."

16. Flaming Moes
"Actually, there is no Tipsy McStagger. He's just a composite of other successful logos."

17. Bart The Daredevil
"This is the greatest thrill of my life! I'm king of the world!! Wooo, wooo! Wooo, wooo!"

18. Homer Badman
"That's your solution to everything: move under the sea. It's not gonna happen!"

19. Simpsons Spin-off Showcase
"I might as well come clean with ya. I ain't too good at talkin' to women and - and I really wanted to do ya, so I brought along the Love Tester to help me. As you may have guessed, it's inhabited by the ghost of my friend's dead father."

20. Radio Bart
"Your boy picked a bad time to fall down a well. If he'd done it at the start of the fiscal year, no problemo."

21. Life On The Fast Lane
"It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end."

22. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation
"Testing. Testing."

23. The Itchy And Scratchy And Poochie Show
"I have to go now. My planet needs me."

24. Simpson And Delilah
"The captial of North Dakota is named after which German ruler?"
"Hitler."
"Hitler, North Dakota?"

25. Who Shot Mr. Burns Parts 1 & 2
"Kids, kids, kids. As far as Daddy's concerned, you're both potential murderers."