1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Plus he acts like I completely am oblivious to Arthouse. No I haven't seen a crap ton but there are a few I really enjoy. I'm not blind to it and completely dismissing those types of films.
Run far away from anyone staking claim to art films. They are there for the world, not an elite group of movie fascists. But you already know that lol!

Plus he acts like I completely am oblivious to Arthouse. No I haven't seen a crap ton but there are a few I really enjoy. I'm not blind to it and completely dismissing those types of films.
This is right on. There’s a lot of arthouse movies that would do great in these but the right ones have to be nominated.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
True movie buff=someone that watches all forms of film, and makes up their own minds on what they think of it.
Yeah. All forms of film. And someone who's open-minded, and does not dimiss most arthouse films. Anyway, I was addressing what jiraffe said, about "weird" films almost always scoring the worst in these HoFs, not really Meg ker a nep anymore.

@Joel: Tell me how many CAT III films have you seen? How many pinku eiga? How many Taiwanese New Wave? How many giallo films? How many wuxia? How many Czechoslovak New Wave? How many films from Africa? How many from India? How many from South America? If you've seen dozens from all of these, then take my sincerest apologies, you're a movie god. Otherwise, you still have a lot to explore, so don't make it sound as if your age has anything to do with your cinematic prowess. It's okay to have only seen a handful, but it's crucial to be open-minded and to (at least try to) love "everything".

I hope you people don't take this as a heated argument, as I can see some people's blood's almost boiling. Take it easy, and I will take it easy, too. CHEERS!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Let the night air cool you off
Individual opinions on individual films is totally fine. When a group starts to joyously berate a film that is unconventional and it becomes a joke even, then it starts to send the wrong message.

True movie buff=someone that watches all forms of film, and makes up their own minds on what they think of it.
Yeah. All forms of film. And someone who's open-minded, and does not dimiss most arthouse films. Anyway, I was addressing what jiraffe said, about "weird" films almost always scoring the worst in these HoFs, not really Meg ker a nep anymore.

@Joel: Tell me how many CAT III films have you seen? How many pinku eiga? How many Taiwanese New Wave? How many giallo films? How many wuxia? How many Czechoslovak New Wave? How many films from Africa? How many from India? How many from South America? If you've seen dozens from all of these, then take my sincerest apologies, you're a movie god. Otherwise, you still have a lot to explore, so don't make it sound as if your age has anything to do with your cinematic prowess. It's okay to have only seen a handful, but it's crucial to be open-minded and to (at least try to) love "everything".

I hope you people don't take this as a heated argument, as I can see some people's blood's almost boiling. Take it easy, and I will take it easy, too. CHEERS!
Mr. Minio, I’m quite certain you have a much more well rounded and worldly arsenal of films seen than me. I am not competing. I see what I can, when I can. Sorry about the hairy bag comment. That was petty. But do understand how you may come off to the “simpletons”.

My imagination is a movie and these days I dont have much more room to receive. My age has me ready to give. Its always been my disposition so my apologies for conceding to speak for anyone else concerning movie preferences or stats.

What are the right ones?
I don’t know, and maybe it depends what you would consider arthouse. Is Autumn Sonata? That tied for first. Some of these movies, like Red Psalm, everyone knows going in that it’s going to be last.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Autumn Sonata succeeded a while back, at that time, I don't think the problem existed to the degree it does now.
Well we haven't seen much nominated lately to be honest.

There’s a problem with this HOF?

An art film is disliked and its assumed the problem isnt the film but rather the people who have seen it and their prejudice? Is that what is really being brought up now?

Oy...

Individual opinions on individual films is totally fine. When a group starts to joyously berate a film that is unconventional and it becomes a joke even, then it starts to send the wrong message.

Wrong message to who?

Only speaking for myself, i made light of red psalm as a form of relief, not to join a gang of “art” haters.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If we all hate the same film I see no reason to not belittle. Nobody in this HOF enjoyed the viewing. If others are offended, they aren't being handcuffed in here to read this thread.

An art film is disliked and its assumed the problem isnt the film but rather the people who have seen it and their prejudice? Is that what is really being brought up now?

Oy...
Have you read my posts? I do believe that I've said that almost all "weird" films place near the bottom, and there is a hostility frequently towards those films. I wasn't talking about just one specific instance outside of using it as the most recent example. I've been taking part of these things since they've started, so when I say I'm this, I'm not just being some Johnny-come-lately, or whatever. There has been an attitudinal shift in the hall of fames, or so it seems. And I'm not even concerned about their prejudices, I just don't think an environment that is hostile towards diversity is a good thing.

Wrong message to who?

Only speaking for myself, i made light of red psalm as a form of relief, not to join a gang of “art” haters.
Members who read the forum and might want to play our silly games.

If we all hate the same film I see no reason to not belittle. Nobody in this HOF enjoyed the viewing. If others are offended, they aren't being handcuffed in here to read this thread.
Amen brother.

Jesus

Autumn Sonata succeeded a while back, at that time, I don't think the problem existed to the degree it does now.
I think Autumn Sonata would do well if it was nominated today. I just don’t think Red Psalm is very good. I thought it was ok, just limited.

Wrong message to who?

Members who read the forum and might want to play our silly games.

Forums are built on opinions and discussion. Anything worth defense will be defended. Obviously.

Oy...
I just don't think an environment that is hostile towards diversity is a good thing.

I agree man.

Im positive that a better film would hold its own

Some of this nonsense sounds like SJW talk. If there's any group think going on here at MoFo, it's to knock Hollywood blockbusters as being for lesser people.

It's insulting to the members of this Hof to think they don't have minds of their own and that they all voted Red Psalm last out of some group think reasons.

Every Hof has a film that must come in last, it's a ranked voting list after all. And many Hofs have films that are mostly hated by the majority. It happens all the time. Cricket had one with Cul-De-Sac, most in that Hof hated it, doesn't mean the group thought it to last place though.

In this Hof there were lots of beloved films, I'd be surprised if any group of movie watchers anywhere didn't have Red Psalm last, just because the other movies have a big fan base.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
coming in at the tail end of this and will do my best to express my words regarding everything said by everyone.

Firstly, I do have a lot of respect for @jiraffejustin. He's been here since the genesis of the HoFs and his insight and personal knowledge of its growth is truly valued and his concerns are valid. He has also made an excellent solution as well. An Arthouse HoF would be an excellent way for those who truly love and immerse themselves in art house films, to be able to showcase those films they care about. Much like other specialty HoFs have and will continue to do.
I think that should be pursued and brought to fruition and, should it be enjoyed by those who participate, there could be a Arthouse II and III and so on.
A secondary use of this would be for those of us who have limited to non existent experience, a place to explore and learn. Much like many films I've seen in my short time of being in HoFs and why I continue to; along with old favorites, but for the movies I would never of heard of, or considered trying. Some I have loved, some not so much, and yes, some I did not like at all. Such is the path of exploring. Regardless, these HoFs allow us all to explore AND THEN discuss HOW we felt and WHAT he thought of every film nominated.

Can everyone love every variation of film out there and by that definition be a true movie buff? I don't see that as plausible. To make an attempt at exploring, whether there is enjoyment or disappointment in any given film is something everyone here, (and I believe I can say this) does strive for. Everyone has favorites, but I have witnessed many individuals step out of their comfort zones and explore. With open minds and, at times, a realistic understanding what they do enjoy and, what they do not enjoy at the end of the day. It is simple preference, nothing more.

As for Red Psalm, I could not find the art within it. I saw a passive demonstration playing out and nothing more. The "point" of the demonstration being played out again and again and again, and still again. It became the bored incantation of a Sunday mass. There was no emotion, only recitation of words and songs. It was the repetitiveness that caused the boredom. For myself, anyway.
I have seen movies nominated that intellectually are above me and, having read reviews of those who nominated them, I was able to learn and discover the substance within them, and thereby, perceive them in a more understanding light. Whether it was symbiotic, technical, or on some cerebral or emotional level. Some of them I have enjoyed. Others I did not.

Having been in several HoFs and, having had absolute favorites do badly, I do understand the feeling when something you care about is disliked on a grand scale in a HoF. So, I do sympathize. I truly do.
But I don't blame them or think it was some group thing that was against me and my nomination.
Nor do I decidedly pick things that I feel are specifically safe to appease the crowd. The only factors I will do will be respecting fellow participants whom I know have specific dislikes. Not out of strategy for a higher score, but simple respect and courtesy. Because, in the end, it is about a love for cinema and the enjoyment of movie watching. Or, at least an endeavor to such.

Is there a shortness of arthouse in the HoFs? Of course. Because, and JJ initially touched on this in the beginning, there is a shortness of those who watch them, participating. And, perhaps, starting with an Arthouse Hall of Fame that could be remedied.

Well said, @edarsenal.

I'm surprised an art house HOF hasn't happened years ago. Speaking generally about movies, I find it difficult to connect on many levels with film enthusiasts who use stats to one up on other viewers, as if people who haven't seen as many "weird" films don't have legitimate opinions or knowledge. My question is, what are the basics of life? I'd say they were survival and pleasure, pain. Everything in between. You sleep, wake up, eat, get active, develop thoughts and habits, try to better yourself with the aid of intelligence and consciousness. Love, laughing, anger, boredom. These handful of things can sum up a very healthy life if all the milk is extracted from them, in knowing what they are about to you, personally. There's no need to scour the planet for celluloid to have some form of understanding and celebration here on earth. Life is painful and not everyone has all the time in the world to swim below sea level for hidden treasure. They have to do it in motion while they build their snow shelters. No stats in the world, no art film, no hollywood film, and no competitive entitlement can ever replace experience and surrendering to the elements that are presented to the individual. Wedding Crashers was a crap film, but there was at least one part I must have laughed at. Maybe Owen Wilson's hair do?