Plot Twists

Tools    

Where's the Who's on now thingy?
There's movieforums.com and movieforum.com
moviesforum.com says webpage not found or something and I tried movie-forum and movie_forum (they didn't work)

I know MovieForum.com (note the lack of the "S" at the end) has been up for awhile - I hate it though. It's purple and jumbled and doesn't "feel" like a movie site at all. And it's forums are hard to understand and navigate through.

Filmguy? You mean Jerome, the "God, Sex & Apple Pie" producer? He hasn't been around in a bit, but I did email with him a few times back and forth awhile ago.

I found it!
That is pretty spiffy!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Best Plot Twist Ever has got to be the one in Planet of the apes!! Kidding of course. What a lousy twist.

Before I even opened this thread, when I saw the words "Plot Twists" I already had in mind "The Sixth Sense". Sure enough, it was mentioned right from the first post. Damn if that didn't take me by surprise! I enjoyed the whole movie, but that ending... woah. Made me want to rewind the film and watch it all over again. Great stuff! So Hitchcockian.

Biggest plot twist? I think you'll agree it has to go to The Crying Game

I'm gonna make a lot of enemies her because I disagree with everybody. First of all, I've heard a lot of people diss the plot "twist" in the Planet of the Apes. Get a life, folks. I dont think the screenwriters were trying to blow us away here. It wasn't a twist, it was just the end of the plot. When I watched the movie, I understood that it was something insinuated and made known from the getgo. to think that every film has to have a twist is ridiculous. Nobody mocks the Godfather: "Al Pacino takes over? I knew that was gonna happen. What a wack twist." Why? because its just plot not a twist.
Second, to call The Sixth Sense Hitchcockian is an insult to Hitchcock. The Spanish Prisoner is Hitchcockian. The Sixth Sense is Hollywoody or maybe even Bruckheimerish.
The best plot twist ever is The Usual Suspects. Runners up: Vertigo, The Kingdom, The Spanish Prisoner, Rebecca, The Conversation.

My favorite plot twist of all time is Vertigo.

Or maybe Leaving Las Vegas.

OK, to be honest, there's not really a plot twist in it, but I like the movie so much that I want to mention it everywhere. See this damn movie, people.

Sixth Sense? Hitchcockian? I think not. Brian De Palma's Sisters-that's Hitchockian if I've ever seen it.

Dear Steve N,
Word!
SultanBigPants

The Crying Game... Definitely. Forgot about that one.

The Usual Suspects was great, but I saw that one coming a mile away. I seriously didn't see it coming in The Sixth Sense, which is why I considered it a great twist.

Something happened between the mid 90s and the millenium that damaged the greatest eyesight that this world has ever known! The story of Matt, who went from plot-piercing laser-eyes to mole-vision in about five years is next on E! True Liarwood Stories.
Think about it Matt. Remember, you thought: It could be Spacey. But you also thought: It could be Byrne, it could be Pollack, Del Toro, Baldwin, or even the woman! Remember as well. When you saw Spacey leaving you thought: Wow! They dont tell you do they? And BAM! You were blown away! And now you say "I saw it coming". What about those other thoughts? (It could be Fenster, McManus, Hockney, Redfoot) Those suddenly dont count anymore? Say what you will Matt, you know I'm right.

Uhhhhhhh no.

SPOILER ALERT

-----------------------------------------

It was because Spacey's character was too much the outcast. The limp, the feined stupidity. I knew from the beginning it was a hoax. But, I guess it surprised a lot of people, I don't claim to be any smarter than anyone else. I just saw that one coming. That's all.
[Edited by Matt on 08-02-2001]

Originally posted by SultanBigPants
I'm gonna make a lot of enemies her because I disagree with everybody. First of all, I've heard a lot of people diss the plot "twist" in the Planet of the Apes. Get a life, folks. I dont think the screenwriters were trying to blow us away here. It wasn't a twist, it was just the end of the plot. When I watched the movie, I understood that it was something insinuated and made known from the getgo. to think that every film has to have a twist is ridiculous.
Get a life? Well, if I don't have a life because I hate endings that make no sense whatsoever, then so be it.

SPOILERS BELOW.

I've detailed my arguments already: the ship was out of fuel. He was baffled by a gun for awhile...and yet Thade can pilot a spaceship? How did he get back BEFORE Leo? Wouldn't he have to get back there a million years beforehand for that kind of evolution to take place? What are the odds the apes would be their own version of The Washington Monument? These are called HOLES.

I don't need it to be all pristine, but sticking in a twist that makes no sense at all is, forgive the primitive phrase, retarded.

Oh, and one more thing: PUT SPOILERS NOTICES ON YOUR POSTS! If you don't, some poor person will never even get to debate on the subject of some of these plot twists, because it'll be ruined for them.

The Game directed by David Fincher has the best plot twist of all-time also John Carpenters In the mouth of madness
and most of Dario Argento's films have great plot twists
________
Vaporizes.Net

The Game had a horrible plot twist because it was so unbelievable and required all sorts of suspension of disbelief for it to work.

I'm mixed on that. I thought The Game had a decent twist, but yeah, it was too outrageous for my tastes. What's really frustrating about it is that they could have tweaked a few things here or there and the whole thing would have made much more sense on the end, without my in terms of editing (compared to what they went with).

one important reason for a plot twist is put there to foul the audience no matter how implausible it is .
and thats way the ending of The game is great cause your almost always going to find problems in the structure of a film with a plot twist at the end.

A great minor plot twist is in SEVEN (which I just recently viewed, so it's very fresh in my mind...) where

SPOILERS.....SPOILER

Kevin Spacey is the bad guy (although, I had mentioned earlier that the character had a USUAL SUSPECTS kind of limp)

and the head of Gwyneth Paltrow in a box. You kinda knew that Brad Pitt had to be part of the Master Plan, but you weren't quite sure how it would unravel. I thought it was cool.

yeah seven had a great plot twist david fincher has had three out of four films with a great plot twist in them The Game , Seven and Fight club but Fight club's plot twist didn't come at the end it was just after the half way point of the movie