Kathy Griffin's Head

Tools    

Can you really say "you either accept majority vote or you don't" in defence of a candidate who lost the popular vote? That's without getting into the idea that "the man can do no right, no matter what he does" because it disregards the possibility that he really is doing everything wrong because he is so grossly incompetent due to a variety of factors such as political inexperience, unsuitable temperament, and poor choice of advisers. The idea of him automatically deserving unquestioning respect simply because he's in a position that has always earned respect by default is also a dangerous one that doesn't sound particularly democratic either.
I thought American presidents were elected by electoral college and always have been? So the system is now not valid somehow because Trump won?

Nobody does everything wrong 100% of the time just like no one does everything right 100% either. I'm not saying he deserves unquestioning respect but I don't think he deserved to be trashed 100% of the time either before he is even given a chance. Seems to me Obama got unquestioning respect and I am still scratching my head at why the hell someone gave him the Nobel Peace prize?

Despite the fact that a lot of people are condemning Kathy Griffin right now, I feel like one day in the future, there's gonna be a Forrest Gump reboot, and Forrest is gonna find himself at Kathy Griffin's press conference and he's gonna hand her a tissue.

Like people are gonna look back at this event one day and see this as a revolutionary moment where Kathy Griffin made it all possible for people to prance around with fake severed heads of the President and nobody's gonna judge you. That's what I see happening in the future.
My local media reported she was whining about being "bullied" by The Trump family and saying they ruined her career. Really? This woman sounds seriously demented.....

Welcome to the human race...
I thought American presidents were elected by electoral college and always have been? So the system is now not valid somehow because Trump won?

Nobody does everything wrong 100% of the time just like no one does everything right 100% either. I'm not saying he deserves unquestioning respect but I don't think he deserved to be trashed 100% of the time either before he is even given a chance. Seems to me Obama got unquestioning respect and I am still scratching my head at why the hell someone gave him the Nobel Peace prize?
I daresay it's always been a flawed system but it's taken something this flagrant to call attention to its flaws. In any case, having a select group of individuals be the ones to elect the president instead of the population as a whole still sounds like it's considerably different to the conventional concept of democracy anyway.

Also, it's been four-and-a-half months since Trump took office. He's had more than enough chances to earn the respect of people outside his core groups of voters, but so many of his actions have ranged from the superficially embarrassing to the genuinely dangerous, whether it's the things that he does on his own or the things that he allows to happen. If you think that Obama got unquestioning respect in comparison, flick back a few pages and look at the pictures.

I've never heard of Little Richard
Seriously? I loves me some Little Richard!
He broke down many walls for those who followed:
He got those middle-class white kids all stirred up with that forbidden "jungle music!" (Richard became one of the first black "crossover" artists to bring the races together in musical fashion.)
He was one of the first rock & rollers to "find religion" and become an Evangelist minister!
He was one of the first gender-bending entertainers long before David Bowie started confusing us with album covers.

If Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown and Liberace all had a baby together - it might be Little Richard!

You said the majority and Iro pointed out it wasn't the majority.

I mean...yeah.

I daresay it's always been a flawed system but it's taken something this flagrant to call attention to its flaws. In any case, having a select group of individuals be the ones to elect the president instead of the population as a whole still sounds like it's considerably different to the conventional concept of democracy anyway.

Also, it's been four-and-a-half months since Trump took office. He's had more than enough chances to earn the respect of people outside his core groups of voters, but so many of his actions have ranged from the superficially embarrassing to the genuinely dangerous, whether it's the things that he does on his own or the things that he allows to happen. If you think that Obama got unquestioning respect in comparison, flick back a few pages and look at the pictures.
I would have thought if American's wanted a different system, they would have changed it long ago. Seems to me the system is only questioned when what the press deem an unsuitable candidate turns up.

4 months doesn't seem like much time to prove or disprove anything.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Really? This is already a Kleenex commercial? I believe comedians have a pretty high suicide rate. Put her on watch. Bummer, from tough and strong with a bloody severed head, to being an instant victim, picked on by everyone. Why oh why?

I'm just waiting for the best possible headline in all this... Kathy Griffin gives head to Secret Service.

Welcome to the human race...
I would have thought if American's wanted a different system, they would have changed it long ago. Seems to me the system is only questioned when what the press deem an unsuitable candidate turns up.

4 months doesn't seem like much time to prove or disprove anything.
The thing is that no other candidate has ever been this unsuitable before, hence why the electoral college being capable of confirming or denying his presidency became such a big deal all of a sudden. As for "they would have changed the system if they really wanted", just consider how long America had openly legalised slavery before getting into a lengthy civil war over whether or not to abolish it (and that's without addressing the whole 13th Amendment controversy on top of that). Changes of that magnitude are not as simple as you seem to think.

Besides, each new president is measured by what they accomplish in their first 100 days in office (which is only about three-and-a-bit months). It may be a comparatively short amount of time next to a four-year term, but it still involves the president setting their own personal standard through their actions and giving a strong indication of what their whole presidency will be like.

Kathy Griffin does not belong in a psych ward for her stunt and for her press conference. I think that Kathy Griffin is a victim, in a way, but she's not a victim of Trump and people who she thinks are out to get her.

She's a victim of the whole mentality going around that being as nasty as possible about Trump is cool. That it's fine, that it's okay, to do or say whatever you want about him. But of course, at the same time, Trump takes to his Twitter as well to unleash nastiness on others, so it is going around everywhere. It's a climate of ugliness. But - it doesn't start and end with Trump.

I believe she was saying her photographer liked the whole idea of "beheading Trump" in the picture - excuse me, photographer... why are you pushing Kathy into this? This may be coming from the imagination of Kathy, but I think the reason she cooked it up is simply because she believed it was safe to turn the oven on at that high of a temperature. And she does live in a kind of bubble, I think - the bubble that is her celebrityhood and the feeling that she needs to stay relevant, stay shocking, stay in the game.

I think that her stunt is a reflection of our society. So is her press conference and running around boo-hooing and crying and calling herself a victim. Here she emulates our nation's newest neverending pest, the eternal victim Hillary Clinton, ghoulishly popping out of everyone's closet at 3 A.M. to remind us that she lost the presidency and it isn't her fault! She was a victim of everything else you can think of. A victim of misogyny. Of men. Of other people. Everybody but herself.
I love thoughtful Sexy. Best post I have seen you have.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
A segment of her press conference even hit our news. Must hve been a slow news days. And of course it was of Kathy crying-not crying.

Seems to me the system is only questioned when what the press deem an unsuitable candidate turns up.
Actually, the system has been questioned every time when the president won the electoral college, but lost the popular vote. It's just that it happened only twice in recent history and 5 times altogether.
It caused a huge stir in 2000 and even bigger one in 2016. The bigger outrage was because of a bigger disproportion of popular votes lost when comparing 2000 with 2016. In 2000 the president that won the electoral college lost by 540,000 votes. Last year the president that won the electoral college lost by 2.9 million votes. That is A LOT more when compared to 2000. Of course there are other issues that caused many people to lose their minds from some that might have been internationally known (Russia hacking) to others that in my opinion are a lot more serious but most likely did not reach the international news (gerrymandering, redistricting, etc..).

Actually, the system has been questioned every time when the president won the electoral college, but lost the popular vote. It's just that it happened only twice in recent history and 5 times altogether.
It caused a huge stir in 2000 and even bigger one in 2016. The bigger outrage was because of a bigger disproportion of popular votes lost when comparing 2000 with 2016. In 2000 the president that won the electoral college lost by 540,000 votes. Last year the president that won the electoral college lost by 2.9 million votes. That is A LOT more when compared to 2000. Of course there are other issues that caused many people to lose their minds from some that might have been internationally known (Russia hacking) to others that in my opinion are a lot more serious but most likely did not reach the international news (gerrymandering, redistricting, etc..).
And yet no one has seriously considered changing the system yet. I'll give you my hunch -- they won't.

And yet no one has seriously considered changing the system yet. I'll give you my hunch -- they won't.
They have, but in order to make a change like that you would have to amend the Constitution which is a huge undertaking that seems insurmountable especially in this climate where nothing in the US Senate seems to get done.
You start talking here in the USA about amending the Constitution and you are treated as almost a public enemy no. 1 by a certain segment of the population.

There is some talk about the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact which would be another way of addressing the issue, but even that seems pretty far fetched.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/ar...ould-states-a/

Until the electoral system is abolished we will still have a very abysmal voter turnout and a much weaker democracy than we'd like to think we have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout

Their son was watching at the time and thought his dad was dead.
I would not necessarily believe that to be true. Remember that Donald Trump is a master spinner and a former reality tv show star himself. He knows how to manipulate the media very well. If he is so concerned regarding his son why isn't his son living with him in the White House? He is basically using his son a pawn in this PR fight and Kathy is possibly trying to get back into the spotlight. Two people cut from the same cloth if you ask me willing to sell anything and anyone for some publicity. Or perhaps a distraction from more important news??

I am surprised that more republicans have now finally found their moral backbone here in the USA after, I suppose, suffering from voluntary amnesia for the past 8 years when Obama was president and were apparently ok with how he was treated as mentioned in this thread. Nice for them to finally learn what the "respect for the office of the president" means.

I don't like the vileness and evil behind this whole fiasco, but one thing I hate even more is blatant hypocrisy.

Until the electoral system is abolished we will still have a very abysmal voter turnout and a much weaker democracy than we'd like to think we have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout
In your opinion, of course. Other people will argue US democracy has held up extremely well for 200 years. Certainly better than many countries in Europe. And let's not even talk about the rest of the world.

I would not necessarily believe that to be true.

But can you say, with absolute certainty, it's not true? I really doubt that. And friend, every single politician in earth is a master spinner.