Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Tools    

IDK An actor leading character should not direct there own film. Sly will tell you how tiring that is in an action driven film. I myself was thinking John Favrou be good cause he did a good Job In Iron Man one and I think he could have a good relationship with Affleck since worked together as actors before.

IDK An actor leading character should not direct there own film.
Michael Jai White directed/starred in Black Dynamite and that was awesome.

Welcome to the human race...
IDK An actor leading character should not direct there own film. Sly will tell you how tiring that is in an action driven film. I myself was thinking John Favrou be good cause he did a good Job In Iron Man one and I think he could have a good relationship with Affleck since worked together as actors before.
Perhaps. It was my understanding that a film's action sequences tend to be handled by its second unit, which has its own director separate from the film's credited director. The person credited simply as "director" runs the first unit, who is in charge of handling scenes involving plot and character development. In theory, Affleck could run the first unit that's dedicated to non-action scenes and still oversee the second unit that does the actual action even if he's involved in the scene itself. Not so sure about Jon Favreau being a good pick for a new director - given his conflicts with Marvel, would he even want to take a job working for DC?

Michael Jai White directed/starred in Black Dynamite and that was awesome.
Michael Jai White did not direct Black Dynamite, he merely co-wrote it.

Michael Jai White did not direct Black Dynamite, he merely co-wrote it.
o_O

*looks closer at DVD case*

Oh. ****.

Well, I'm sure there are other exceptions without invoking Kung Fury.

Affleck should have shared the directing helm with Snyder, they both are strong where the others weak. Snyder is the best action scene director alive, period. Affleck is a strong storyteller, and obviously casts his films better. An actor can appreciate acting where a director like Snyder casts like "oh thatll do" and your Lex Luthor ends up looking like a young Orville Redenbacher.

Im sure this movie is better than 30%, I even think itll be better than MOS. -fingers crossed-

Snyder is the best action scene director alive, period.

Affleck is a strong storyteller, and obviously casts his films better. An actor can appreciate acting where a director like Snyder casts like "oh thatll do" and your Lex Luthor ends up looking like a young Orville Redenbacher.
You know, you are one...

...something sarcastic.

Yeah youre real funny. Who is a better action director than Snyder? Hes the best Ive seen since Cameron.

Yeah youre real funny. Who is a better action director than Snyder? Hes the best Ive seen since Cameron.
I just think that's awfully presumptuous to say about a guy with barely more than half a dozen movies to his name, including Suckerpunch and 300.

They were interesting to watch, sure, but are you really placing him above the likes of say... John Woo?

Having seen BvS (and most of Snyder's library) I totally admit there are visually impressive shots here and there, but in terms of actual action scene direction, I've seen far better much more consistently from The Wachowskis, Peter Jackson, AND James Cameron to name few.

George Miller just came off of Mad Max, which has some of the best chase scenes ever recorded with a camera. Paul Greengrass is still kicking around, and he's made 2 Bourne movies better than anything Snyder has ever done. Speaking of Bourne, Doug Liman has been pretty consistent with making some great action scenes, and IMO his most recent movie is his best. The John Wick guy only made 1 movie, but he's also made a better action movie than anything Snyder has ever done. I give the Wachowski's more credit than most-Jupiter Ascending wasn't very good, but the action scenes and visuals are better than MoS by a lot. The French director (I forget his name) who made Non-Stop and Run All Night has been impressive, those are the only 2 Neeson action movies I've liked since Taken. Other than the Wachowski's (who are 1 dimensional in the same dimensional as Snyder but have a better legacy), I'd love to have any of them replace Snyder.

I just think that's awfully presumptuous to say about a guy with barely more than half a dozen movies to his name, including Suckerpunch and 300.

They were interesting to watch, sure, but are you really placing him above the likes of say... John Woo?

Having seen BvS (and most of Snyder's library) I totally admit there are visually impressive shots here and there, but in terms of actual action scene direction, I've seen far better much more consistently from The Wachowskis, Peter Jackson, AND James Cameron to name few.
Peter Jacksons strong, but Snyders action is equally impactful and much more artistic in how he does it, even moreso than Cameron. Wachowskis are good, but like Jackson its more a CGI show than a painted picture. Again, Im referring how Snyder places everything in an action scene, camera angle, lighting, just everything to where you can take a stillshot from a Snyder action scene and it look like a legit poster.

John Woo?! Dude I should post that laughing gif at you now. No, "Mr Doves" could not sustain for the long haul cause hes too repetititve.

George Miller just came off of Mad Max, which has some of the best chase scenes ever recorded with a camera. Paul Greengrass is still kicking around, and he's made 2 Bourne movies better than anything Snyder has ever done. Speaking of Bourne, Doug Liman has been pretty consistent with making some great action scenes, and IMO his most recent movie is his best. The John Wick guy only made 1 movie, but he's also made a better action movie than anything Snyder has ever done. I give the Wachowski's more credit than most-Jupiter Ascending wasn't very good, but the action scenes and visuals are better than MoS by a lot. The French director (I forget his name) who made Non-Stop and Run All Night has been impressive, those are the only 2 Neeson action movies I've liked since Taken. Other than the Wachowski's (who are 1 dimensional in the same dimensional as Snyder but have a better legacy), I'd love to have any of them replace Snyder.
The Wachowskis are goofy, I admit, but their action scenes tend to be a lot more memorable.

Speaking of John Wick though, how would you compare that action-wise to Fury Road?

Greengrass is good but not great, nothing coming out of Bourne could touch 300, or DOTD intensity. I repped you cause you said George Miller, buuuuut I kinda think he had alot of help in what went onscreen. Fury Road was SO much better than Beyond Thunderdome to where it couldnt have been all on him. Never saw John Wick (Keanu). Havent seen Non-Stop or Run All Night. Taken is in my top ten of all time, but on pure action scenes it cant compare to Snyders vision

The Wachowskis are goofy, I admit, but their action scenes tend to be a lot more memorable.

Speaking of John Wick though, how would you compare that action-wise to Fury Road?
They're obviously very different. Mad Max had a huge budget and a grand set design and stunt team. John Wick had a tenth of that budget and was more controlled, with a real setting and not an open desert. I like Mad Max more, I think it's more impressive, but I don't want to say that it's better action than John Wick because of limitations. The point is that right there are 6 directors, all currently working in Hollywood and none of them are A-list directors, that realistically COULD do a DC movie and would do it better than Snyder.

Peter Jacksons strong, but Snyders action is equally impactful and much more artistic in how he does it,
"Artistic", I like how that word sticks out like a cist.

Originally Posted by TONGO
Wachowskis are good, but like Jackson its more a CGI show than a painted picture.
Are you ****ING KIDDING ME? We're talking about Zack Snyder, right?

Again, Im referring how Snyder places everything in an action scene, camera angle, lighting, just everything to where you can take a stillshot from a Snyder action scene and it look like a legit poster.
Just because you can get neat screencaps doesn't mean the scene itself plays out any better.

John Woo?! Dude I should post that laughing gif at you now. No, "Mr Doves" could not sustain for the long haul cause hes too repetititve.
Repetitive as in what? Guns? Doves? What you can cherry pick from a given screenshot isn't the extent to what goes into an action scene.

John Woo puts a hell of a lot of effort into movement and incorporating the environment into his action scenes, and if you want to talk about "CGI shows"... I think he's got Snyder clinched.

They're obviously very different. Mad Max had a huge budget and a grand set design and stunt team. John Wick had a tenth of that budget and was more controlled, with a real setting and not an open desert. I like Mad Max more, I think it's more impressive, but I don't want to say that it's better action than John Wick because of limitations. The point is that right there are 6 directors, all currently working in Hollywood and none of them are A-list directors, that realistically COULD do a DC movie and would do it better than Snyder.
I was just talking about action scenes, but a Wachowskis' Batman v Superman? I think that would have been way cooler than what we got.

We just have different tastes Omnizoa. Your top ten is filled with "pretty pictures, nice shiny objects, far from reality " kind of films. Snyder is grooming himself to be the next Cameron, and they are similar in their strengths and weaknesses. Cameron still isnt a great storyteller, but he got better over time. Snyders best storytelling is when hes copying someone elses story (DOTD, 300, Watchmen), and I thought BvsS would have a shot at being impressive if he took from Frank Millers Dark Knight Returns story. I dont know, I havent seen it yet, but I do know his action scenes will deliver everytime, unlike John Woo

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'll pipe in and say Zhang Yimou House of Flying Daggers is probably the best action film I've seen, because it interweaves a terrific story in as well, effortlessly. Hero was fantastic as well. Both are huge favourites of mine

I'll pipe in and say Zhang Yimou House of Flying Daggers is probably the best action film I've seen, because it interweaves a terrific story in as well, effortlessly. Hero was fantastic as well. Both are huge favourites of mine
Havent seen it, but will now. Better than Fist Of Legend?! Whoa there...