Your Favorite New Releases...

Tools    

Every year, I buy my Dad some DVD's that I know he will rememeber forever, and this year, I'm really not sure what to get him.... He loved Almost Famous, and Walk the Line, The Doors and anything else with great music.

He saw Ray, and he loved it... Are there a lot of other movies like that?

Yes but they tend to star people like Bette Midler.

LOL el batto, but not entirely true. My friend let me borrow this one last week, and I can't say I have enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. It's called Be Here To Love Me and it's about this guy, Townes Van Zandt....I never heard of him before but apparantly if the game is country music and songwriting, he wins, hands down.
Couldn't find the DVD cover but this should do the trick....

Check it out, let me know what you think...it just might change your life (haha ok ok, I know, dramatic, but it's really good!)

Ok sorry usually it stars someone like Bette Midler. Or it is a travesty much like Moulin Rouge. Sound of a Music is a classic does your Dad like singing nuns?

Well, this isn't a new release and more of a documentary, but The Last Waltz is about the last concert of The Band. Made famous for their songs "The Weight", "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down" and "Up On Cripple Creek". Not sure what kinds of music your Dad prefers though.

I've heard very good things about that Townes Van Zandt dvd and I've been wanting to see it myself.

Hey SilverScreen-- I've seen The Last Waltz, brought back good memories of The Band for me.

I would definitely pick up the Townes Van Zandt movie, whoever has been telling youi good things is NOT lying. Be Here to Love Me, you will love it!

Don't know if you have a deadline for this purchase, but if it can wait a month the excellent concert documentary Neil Young: Heart of Gold (2006 - Jonathan Demme) is being released on R1 DVD on June 13th. You can find my review from earlier this year by clicking HERE. I absolutely loved it. I saw it twice theatrically and would have gone back for a third if it stuck around a little longer.

And if you didn't pick it up already, the Martin Scorsese directed documentary No Direction Home: Bob Dylan is fantastic. It covers the first couple phases of Dylan's career and was released on DVD last fall.

And a couple rarities that finally made it to DVD fairly recently are George Harrison's historic "The Concert for Bangladesh" and a collection called "The Dick Cavett Show: Rock Icons". George Harrison, just out of The Beatles, arranged a massive benefit concert in the summer of 1971 in Madison Square Garden to raise money and awareness for the humanitarian disaster in Bangladesh. Great roster of Harrison's friends, including Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Leon Russell, Badfinger, Ringo Starr and John Lennon.

Dick Cavett had two talk shows, one that aired on ABC from '69 to '72 and another on PBS from '75 until the early '80s, kind of a cross between Carson's "Tonight Show" and "The Merv Griffin Show". The "Rock Icons" set includes interviews and unique television perfomances from a gaggle of that time period's legends, including George Harrison, Janis Joplin, Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell, David Bowie, Paul Simon and Sly & the Family Stone.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Movie Forums Member
I finally saw "Be Here To Love Me-Townes Van Zandt" I got it at amazon for a really good price... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130)

I've never seen anything like it... it's going to be everyone's birthday present this whole year, whether they like it or not... lol

I didn't start this thread, but wanted thank you for the info Holden! I'm going to look into those films, pronto!

Mostly been listening to Young and Dylan and watching those right now would probably be a great idea. Of course then everyone around here will be listening to even more Dylan and Young!