Blind Patriotism

Tools    

So I know this guy. Hes a one legged vietnam vet that at one time was a card carrying member of the KKK. Hes not politically correct in the least, uses the "N" word freely, and just voted for Obama in the last election. More on this later...

So Im a teenage kid back in the late 80s. Reagan was president, and patriotism was high. Michael J Fox represented everything that should be in a republican on a show called Family Ties, and the USSR crumbled from within. It was a good time to be an american.

Bush Sr probably underestimated the size of the tab when looking at Reagans dinner bill. The country was happy, and broke. A quiet 4 years began highlighted by Desert Shield, and Storm. Schwarzkopf, and Colin Powell both agree Bush Sr is the #1 pick any general would ask for in a president in a time of war. His domestic policies were nonexistent.

The greatest election in the history of our nation took place in 1991 between George Bush Sr, Bill Clinton, and a patriotic billionare named Ross Perot. When Perot started campaigning americans relearned that fiery patriotic passion when Reagan was in office. This mans bravado worked, and if he had not pulled out of the election Perot would have been president in 1992. Pull out he did though, and when he re-entered the race he succeded in only destroying Bushs' chances of being re-elected. Bill Clinton became president accepting the election night victory with a Fleetwood Mac song playing in the background, and Im scared to death.

The next 8 years were quiet, and whenever a international incident occured the politician extraordinare Clinton kept his cool, and ours. Oh, and a new concept is introduced to the american mainstream - presidents getting BJs! A stain on an otherwise exceptional presidency. Clinton endured, and won everyone over including myself.

The worst election in the history of our nation then took place between George W, and Al Gore. Regardless of who won what was tested that day was a citizens trust in our nation. Say what you will about Ronald Reagan, but at a crisis time like that a figure in leadership was needed. Not Clinton, nor Gore, and certainly not George W stepped up to the plate. We were told who are president was.

9/11 - Americas citizens are attacked in the most dramatic terroristic display ever commited. George W was in the same town as me then Sarasota, FL visiting a school. He was in a classroom the children were reading him a story aloud, an aide whispers to him when the second building was hit by the second passenger plane assuring to everyone this wasnt an accident. W pretends to be following along to the class' story, excuses himself, and announces later to the entire school in their auditorium that he has to leave because the twin towers were hit by two planes.

As I write this on football sunday I can compare George Ws blank stare to that of a former Buccaneers QB named Vinny Testaverde. Vinny was an infuriating QB in that he was physically perfect, had an incredible arm, was big, and would suddenly throw an interception right between the #'s of the opposing player. Alot. Vinny never once seemed phased by it though. He just had that blank stare.

In the future lets not mistake this for composure. The point of this thread is blind patriotism, and when W got re-elected my patriotism took a hit. Damn how could we have been so stupid! Weapons Of Mass Destruction were said to be in Iraq, we take Iraq, and no WOMD. We took over a country, (with that comes death, maiming, and destruction yknow.) and never demanded an explanation. No investigation was made explaining this horrid misinformation. Rumors and accusations arise even how Ws administration has leeked the identities of their own spies. The sole republican that stood against W was John McCain, but the last two years of Ws tenure showed McCain "playing ball", and the reason why obviously was this last election nod.

So I argue today with Joe the vietnam vet, and hes as old-line as you can get -"If you dont like it then get out of the country mother ****er!" From him I can take it because he didnt re-elect W, did serve, and sacrifice more than our spoiled asses could ever fathom.

I have a hard time though with american man sized children spouting how America can do what it wants when it wants to whoever it wants. Id bet there were citizens in Rome aplenty that thought like that too. Yes Im saying this - I respect the opinion more of a bigoted redneck over the majority of the masses that comprise our nation. Obama didnt win in a landslide, and he should have. Joe had the manhood necessary to admit his instinctual way of thinking was wrong, and for the betterment of the country elected a black man. When is the last time you have been so accountable for your beliefs in this nation? I too have alot to learn as I spout, and point. One thing is certain though if you want unbiased news reported to you watch the BBC.

Im not proud to be an american. Obama might restore my faith in the presidency, and I hope the next 4 or 8 years restores my faith in its citizens. The time for sunshine being pumped up our ass is over as we dont have the ignorant naivete like in the Reagan era. We have it within ourselves to be a nation admired or crumble from within. I hope we do our best.

Hi Tongo,

I thought your rant, post pretty good till, you say,
"Im not proud to be an american." I'm a Nam vet 67 - 71, 3 tours & proud to be an American! Nam stunk & was a huge mistake. Americans were 'free' to protest, which was instrumental to ending it. I think you might have a greater appreciation, for this country & what you have, if you had to endure some of crappy countries.

Take Care
Rico

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Whilst this has nothing to do with this topic. I kept thinking of this quote: (Yeah patriotism!)

"If the US Government wants to shove a tracking device up your ass, you say thank you, and God bless America!"

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
I'm proud to be American despite the fact that for much of my life I've hated our government. Part of being American is questioning our government and if you don't do this it is the opposite of patriotic. As all those bumper stickers say lately "Thinking is Patriotic." Without open rebellion and protest there would be no United States of America.

I love America because it is one of the few governments where I'm aloud to say almost whatever I want about the government and nothing will happen to me. Without questioning society we would be stuck in the stone ages.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I dislike politicians in general.

However I did support Mike Gravel.

The media didn't want him.

He wasn't nominated.

I didn't vote.

But yes it is important to question your government.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201