50 Favorite Movies DDWH

→ in
Tools    

Shawshank sucks!

The Harry potter you listed I believe was my favorite
Dodgeball is funny enough
I am legend is underrated as an action
Inception, is, epic

I would have to disagree but you have a right to your opinion. Glad you like the rest at least They're great.

10. Anger Management

Definitely my favorite film by Sandler or Nicholson, it's so nice to see Jack play something other than a serious role- though his feigned attempts at sincere solemness are so convincing. For such an outstanding comedy movie it has a well developed plot and many things happen I wouldn't expect, most comedies seem inherently simple but not this one. There's so many great lines from this film as well and I must tell the new television show based on it to leave- while Sheen's acting is enjoyable at times he absolutely cannot live up to Nicholson's momentous performance here.

9. They Live

This is such a brilliant work by John Carpenter, seriously underrated in the film realm. My favorite thing about this movie is its exposure of the evils of the capitalist and more prominently the commercialized world controlling lives through subverted messages. You'll never look at the people in power the same when you see this movie, I can't even imagine the tumult and uphill battle Nada faces here and it's bizarre seeing a wrestler like Piper play a leading role so well. Also, probably the best fight seen I've witnessed in this movie about halfway through.

8. Insidious

My favorite horror film of all time, this one won't spray you with blood it's much more supernatural and psychological in nature. The ideas of astral projection and soul wandering are explored in this film and the suspense, especially in the first half, is done incredibly well. This movie has so many memories related to my best friends, curled up on the couch huddled together under blankets and pillows (yes, we're wimps), arguing about the plot nuances afterwards. The soundtrack and noise effects are done especially well too.

7. Waiting...

My favorite comedy film, Waiting... is way too underrated and unknown considering its greatness. The idea of a movie based on workers in a restaurant feels so natural and Ryan Reynolds is fantastic as the charismatic, high school girl chaser, he's a carbon copy of one of my college friends. Justin Long outdoes his Dodgeball roll as the introspective, humble, ideal employee and there are so many parts in this movie that make you laugh. When Reynold's character goes on a deep spiel about the American Constitution only to justify chasing 17 year olds, that one sticks out. Too funny.

6. Hamlet (1996)

Easily the longest film on this list, coming in a a hair over four hours, this Shakespeare production is immaculate. Credit Ken Branagh for directing, producing, writing the adapted screen play AND starring as the lead- is there anything this man can't do? Despite it being only sixth on my list, Branagh's role as Hamlet is probably the most impressive performance I've ever seen- he's so powerful and intense, emotion flaring at the surface you can tell how passionate he is about this work. Kate Winslet and Rufus Sewell put on moving performances as Ophelia and Fortinbras as well and Julie Christie as Gertrude is just splendid. The use of Victorian-style clothing and furniture and the brightness juxtaposed with other renditions' gloomy, dark portrayal gives Hamlet a new style, a new breath.

That's an odd set you got there

Anger Management is alright, had a few good moments, but I wouldn't call it top 10 worthy.
Isidious for horror is the same level as anger management for comedy, so while it's good, I don't consider it great.
And then Waiting... is one of the most disgusting comedies I've seen,and truly just schock humor.

Each to there own though

Thanks it really is underrated. And Hamlet, despite its length, is so completely worth it. I'd suggest it.

All understandable views. And I don't like Waiting... for the game they play in it, just the banter and the things they say, I really enjoy it. But you're right, what they do to that one customer's food is so gross I thought I would vomit but that part I definitely don't see as shock value. Real food places do that without saying, I know people who work in the food service and they say it's an unwritten rule that you never mess with the people who make your food for that very reason.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Anger Management doesn't seem top 10 worthy to me.....though about 5 years ago I probably had Click in my top 10 so you could be at that sort of stage of watching. I've seen a lot in 5 fives and Click remains a top 100 movie but not top 10. To be honest, I think Anger Management is one of Sandler's worst (though not as bad as Little Nicky)

lol really? Nothing personal but I thought Click was one of his worst. Not nearly as bad as Jack and Jill though of course. And beats me, just my kind of comedy, plot twists and zaniness I suppose.

***SPOILER ALERT, not too too bad except for my number one. That one will completely ruin the movie for you if you read my comments on it***

5. Southland Tales

I already know what most people will say but I think this movie is fantastic. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, the way the plot is almost schizophrenic and wanders all over the place, it can be hard to follow at times. But that's also what's so great about it; how complex the movie is, how hard it pushes to get its message across despite the great leaps and bounds it takes. This is probably the most unique film I've ever seen and I love how it creates a USA Patriot Act extension and portrays its evil totalitarian ways. I really enjoyed Dwayne Johnson's performance, partially because some of his acting is so bad it's good. When his character gets nervous and twiddles his fingers, I feel like no one in the world does that out of stress but it makes his character so unique, little mannerisms like that. But most people also aren't willing to watch it more than once and that's why they never figure out what it's about. Richard Kelly is a genius but this is hardly his best work...

4. Men in Black

By far my favorite Will Smith performance, and with Tommy Lee Jones co-piloting the helm, this is one for the ages. Smith and Jones are stellar as Agents J and K facing an alien threat to destroy the planet. The plot is so clever, especially how "the galaxy is on Orion's belt"- forcing the heroes to search in places no one would suspect to look and the technology used to create the aliens is impressive, especially by 1997 standards. The very ending is so touching and sad, something I wasn't expecting at all- I'm just glad it wasn't truly the last duo's adventure, although it was certainly the best.

3. What Dreams May Come

This movie extremely surprised me by how compelling and well done it was. Robin Williams plays the lead in by far the most tragic and heartbreaking movie (besides maybe part of my #1) on this list. I normally don't like movies like this where the movie is wrapped in distraught experiences and emotional scars and was strongly tempted to stop watching at parts but its so moving and life affirming its something everyone should see. One of my favorite things is how this movie challenges the traditional concept of the afterlife, portraying it in ways I never heard of nor imagined my entire life. It gives non-religious explanations for most things that happen as well while using Heaven and Hell, something I found very original and inspiring. The idea of soulmates is a constant theme, pervading Williams' character everywhere he goes and though I don't believe in them nor even true love, it's a passionate characterization that brings the movie's two mainstays to life. The plot twists here are completely unexpected and very effective as well.

2. Good Will Hunting

Affleck, Damon, and Williams put on a stunning performance in this coming-of-age (mentally, not physically) drama where a young man played by Damon struggles with scars from the past, a pathological liar unwilling to let anyone in, working as a janitor in the prestigious M.I.T. "Do you like apples? Well how do you like THEM apples" is one of the best lines and though I often find people/characters with Boston accents really annoying, Damon's acting especially transcends above and beyond the usual performance to something special, his portrayal of the lead character as isolated, stubborn, internally damaged, propping a facade personality for the world to see is so effective. Ben Affleck's character Chuckie speaks to me the finest example of a true friend, preferring to never see Will again knowing the potential he has to become a successful adult with a blessed intellectual ability. Stellan Skarsgard plays an insufferable Professor who I love to hate and Williams as the therapist is the perfect counterpart for Damon, a man afraid of taking chances and moving just like Will. The open-ended conclusion of the film leaves the viewer to decided what happens afterwards, something that works well.

1. Donnie Darko

Ever since I saw this the first time there was never a doubt in my mind; this was by far the best film I've ever seen. I was so overcome with the all the ideas and implications of everything that happened, what Kelly was trying to say, I couldn't stop thinking about this film for two months after I first saw it. There's so many things to love about this movie it's hard to even begin. For starters, the authenticity of the characters- the way the father played by Osbourne laughs at his young child, how he laughs what Donnie says to his teacher and covers it up with a cough- it's so genuine, my Dad would act the same way. With Mary McDonnell portraying Ms. Darko, she too is so natural as the mother- Scolding Donnie for his nickname for Roberta Sparrow, I love that. And Jake Gyllenhaal as Donnie- the confused adolescent- Kelly's script gives him such dimensions- struggling with the possibility of a permanent death, unknowing whether not a God exists- so relatable because I think most go through that, I know I have. There's so many fantastic lines in the movie as well, including "I guess some people are just born with tragedy in the blood", and my personal favorite "What if you could go back in time and take all those hours of pain and darkness, and replace them with something better?"- it's the ultimate foreshadowing. The air Kelly creates too of such foreboding and impending doom is almost magical, it still grips my emotions even after seeing it five times now. Every time I see the ending I can't help but cry, the first two times I sat there bawling for an hour and a half after because Donnie is such a moral agent and incredible person he's like an idol to me. He makes the ultimate sacrifice to save his mother's, girlfriend's, and even Frank's life, while keeping his teacher's from being ruined and his therapist's from immeasurable stress. This movie also has hands down the best soundtrack I've ever seen, with gems like Head over Heels by Tears for Fears, Under the Milky Way by the Church, and The Killing Moon by Echo and the Bunnymen supplementing the already fabulous feel of the film. The plot itself is not too complex but not simple by any means either and I love how all the loose ends are tired together at the end, everything makes sense if you're willing to think about it hard enough. And I share Donnie's same sense of insecurity and hopefulness that is betrayed at the end of the film, another one of the best quotes in any movie I've ever seen: "I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to."

lol really? Nothing personal but I thought Click was one of his worst.
No, you're right, it is. Well, at least, it is of those of his that I've had the (usually) misfortune to see.

They Live is great. I've not yet seen that version of Hamlet, though I have a copy somewhere. Good Will Hunting's on my 100 and I like DD. At least, I did the last time I saw it, back in 2002.

Thumbs up for Good Will Hunting. I saw Donnie Darko once and it didn't really do anything for me, but I think I need to see it again. I will see Southland Tales and What Dreams May Come and some point. Men in Black doesn't interest me.