Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Absolutely "Big Fsh"...it was so boring!
I totally agree. Just watched it again, thinking maybe I just wasn't in the right mood the first time. Again, I thought it just plain sucks...

Well, nobody's perfect
2001: A Space Odyssey
I seriously thought that was the end for me.
I never thought you can almost die from boredom.
That movie completely depressed me and everytime I think of it just like now,
I feel like jumping out of the window.

Yes, pretty crazy thoughts but that is what I think about this piece of crap movie.

Django Unchained. The movie is unbalanced and was to over the top. The Actors were good but the story was soo generic and to sweetened it up they poured violenced over it. Django Unchained is a okay movie but how the movie got any awards is beyond me.

Part of the reason I dislike Django Unchained is Red Dead Redemption. The game tells a more complete and full story without the unnecessary violence. Yes Red Dead is violent but it has reason.

IMO Django seems like it has lazy writing for the most part and covered it up with pointless violence.

2001: A Space Odyssey
I seriously thought that was the end for me.
That movie completely depressed me and everytime I think of it just like now,
I feel like jumping out of the window.

Yes, pretty crazy thoughts but that is what I think about this piece of crap movie.
Try watching some Tarkovsky.

Alien. Boring as hell. Strange cos "Aliens" i think of as a small masterpiece,

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And you have A Clockwork Orange as your sixth favourite movie. Oh, it's 2011 post. downniec is a gold digger. xD

BTW, what's wrong in pointless violence?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I absolutely hate when people say "pointless violence." You are missing the entire point of the movie. That's like saying Shawshank Redemption has "pointless drama" or Jaws has "pointless suspense." It might not be your kind of movie, but if it's supposed to be a violent movie, than obviously violence will be a point of the movie. People seem to think that they are too sophisticated for violence in movies (also nudity, but that's opening a whole new can of worms). Violence is a tool used in storytelling. It's not pointless.

2001: A space odyssey
i seriously thought that was the end for me.
That movie completely depressed me and everytime i think of it just like now,
i feel like jumping out of the window.

Yes, pretty crazy thoughts but that is what i think about this piece of crap movie.

I absolutely hate when people say "pointless violence." You are missing the entire point of the movie. That's like saying Shawshank Redemption has "pointless drama" or Jaws has "pointless suspense." It might not be your kind of movie, but if it's supposed to be a violent movie, than obviously violence will be a point of the movie. People seem to think that they are too sophisticated for violence in movies (also nudity, but that's opening a whole new can of worms). Violence is a tool used in storytelling. It's not pointless.
It depends which storyteller’s making it, i agree with what you say but i think there are cases of pointless violence in film, but then again the type of violence it portrays is pretty pointless isnt it! I think everything after the first saw was pretty pointless, just finding newer and more extravagent ways to kill people to please the masses.

I think everything after the first saw was pretty pointless, just finding newer and more extravagent ways to kill people to please the masses.
Agreed.

It depends which storyteller’s making it, i agree with what you say but i think there are cases of pointless violence in film, but then again the type of violence it portrays is pretty pointless isnt it! I think everything after the first saw was pretty pointless, just finding newer and more extravagent ways to kill people to please the masses.
But again, that was the point of the movies. If you went into a Saw movie and didn't see extravagant ways of killing people, you would say "What the heck?!" But the fact that the movies are based on coming up with new ways to kill people doesn't make them any less credible. Now whether or not the Saw movies work is up to anyone's opinion. But it's important to consider the kind of film that it is. If there is no way any movie based around extravagant killings of people could please you, than that's just not your kind of movie. But again, doesn't make it any less credible than someone not liking any kind of drama film, western film, etc.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Seventh Seal. Not a bad movie, but it was nowhere near as deep and complex as the reputation it's given. The chess sequences and that one confession scene were the only high points in a otherwise muddled,dull narrative. It's just not that amazing. Ingmar Bergman makes his films so boring.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The Saw movies are a strong example of indulging the crowd in masochistic behavior, but this was parodied (unsuccessfully, twice) by Michael Haneke and people saw no difference. But other than that, American audiences aren't as interested in accurate or shocking portrayals of violence as opposed to the implication of violence without explicitly showing it. The violence in mainstream movies are almost sexualized and basically focuses on style or coolness behind the violence. South Korea is the country that breaks this with some of the most explicit and grotesque violence in film.

I'm going to put myself at risk for being called pretentious and say that I believe that a lot of modern violence, besides gun violence, works much better metaphorically. Especially with recent Tarantino and Refn. The violence better reflects the healing and altering powers of cinema (Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained) rather than violence itself since his films are hardly meant to reflect history. Meanwhile Refn's violence feels much more plausible as an expression of a characters psyche. Think of the elevator scene in Drive, and how it was made explicit in Only God Forgives.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I loved Funny Games and what's worse I enjoyed it. Does it mean Haneke failed? I don't care as long as it's a glorious movie.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Dark Knight. It doesn't merit the 9.0 rating it has on IMDB. It's a good movie, but there's a crap ton that are better.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I loved Funny Games and what's worse I enjoyed it. Does it mean Haneke failed? I don't care as long as it's a glorious movie.
I think he would say it means he failed.

The Saw movies are a strong example of indulging the crowd in masochistic behavior, but this was parodied (unsuccessfully, twice) by Michael Haneke and people saw no difference. But other than that, American audiences aren't as interested in accurate or shocking portrayals of violence as opposed to the implication of violence without explicitly showing it. The violence in mainstream movies are almost sexualized and basically focuses on style or coolness behind the violence. South Korea is the country that breaks this with some of the most explicit and grotesque violence in film.

I'm going to put myself at risk for being called pretentious and say that I believe that a lot of modern violence, besides gun violence, works much better metaphorically. Especially with recent Tarantino and Refn. The violence better reflects the healing and altering powers of cinema (Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained) rather than violence itself since his films are hardly meant to reflect history. Meanwhile Refn's violence feels much more plausible as an expression of a characters psyche. Think of the elevator scene in Drive, and how it was made explicit in Only God Forgives.
The fact that so many people consider Funny Games simply a horror or thriller film demonstrates how successful and subversive Haneke's message really was...

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't really think of Saw as masochistic, at least not the first movie, I think that it was just something really different with the horror-genre. The story was actually very well done, albeit in a different way, and at the time, the elements were fresh and kind-of unsettling. I will agree that as the series progressed, viewers got used to seeing the "torturing" and it was more for the fun of seeing the traps, however. I still really enjoyed Jigsaw's character though, or more so, the idea of him.