R.I.P. Odetta

Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Odetta, a true giant of folk music, blues, spirituals, protest songs and the civil rights movement has passed away.

She appeared in one movie Sanctuary (1961) dir. by Tony Richardson along with Lee Remick and Yves Montand. She also appeared in the doucumentary Festival (1967) about the Newport Folk and Jazz Festival and Scorcese's No Direction Home (2005) soundtrack.

Here is the link for the article in the New York Times that includes a 20 min interview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/ar...a.html?_r=1&hp

She was an inspiration for many, including Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Bruce Springsteen. May she rest in peace.

You're a Genius all the time
Word. Joan Baez and maybe Joni Mitchell or even Janis Joplin in a bluesy sorta way were the true Queens of the American Folk Scene, but there wouldn't have been a Joan Baez or a Joni Mitchell without Odetta. And Odetta was almost equally famous for her role in the civil rights movement, with a voice that perfectly complimented Martin Luther King's. She was an inspiration to a lot of people and she was just a cool lady. The world is gonna miss her. I mean, the world has been missing a voice like hers since like the sixties or the seventies, but now we're really gonna miss her.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not an avid Odettaphile or anything, but I do recognize the contribution she's made to the world at large. Anyway, rest in peace.