President Trump

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Saying you can rebound from a bad approval rating is different than saying approval ratings don't matter. Regan's approval rating (which was under 40 only very briefly) obviously improved, and very quickly. Trump's is already worse, and for longer. His normal standing is roughly akin to Reagan's very short-lived lowest point, so that's not a very apt comparison.
In Comparison to other major leaders though he id doing OK, he is ahead of several. Our own glorious Teresa May, and new French President Macron both have worse than Trump, Japan too I think.

In Comparison to other major leaders though he id doing OK, he is ahead of several. Our own glorious Teresa May, and new French President Macron both have worse than Trump, Japan too I think.
Unless you think those are the people the Democrats might nominate, I have no idea why that would matter at all.

The point is he is supposed to have this terrible approval rating, when actually his 39% is about par for the course it seems. Barack and George's approval were fairly dire right?

Personally, I think his approval rating is close to 100. The media would never release that info though.

Not sure how accurate this is but for what it's worth according to this Obama's Approval Rating was around 51-54% at this point in his presidency (August 09) - http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/ba...-approval.aspx

After that he was pretty consistently high 40s and never fell as low as 39%.

Would be interested in an alternative link, not saying that's completely accurate.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
From a left-of-center perspective, I'd say as long as headlines are about tweets and high heels, sooner or later people will either burn out on the criticisms, or become desensitized. I think that emboldens his supporters. I believe that as long as the right can continue to define Democrats as "left" and left as extreme left, and further still extreme left as Antifa and BLM (the right's perception of these groups, that is), then Democrats = Antifa anarchists as far as the propaganda is concerned. If that perception can be stoked and maintained, I would not be surprised to see right-leaning moderates siding with Trump again either in sympathy or by a perceived underdog support. combine that with the complacent left-leaning moderates that never seem to get too worked up over anything, and I'm concerned. Oh. And add low level elections that get no Democratic backing to the mix. I derno.

That's not to defend Black's position. I think that's mostly just talk radio style rehash and doesn't make an actual argument. That's like someone saying a sheet of paper moved because of magic. No. I just turned the rotary fan on. No. It is magic, and the proof is because the sheet moved. It may happen, but the correlations made are not why.

I am concerned though, for different reasons.

The point is he is supposed to have this terrible approval rating, when actually his 39% is about par for the course it seems.
This makes absolutely no sense.

"Par" is what's typical, whereas you've just cherry-picked other highly unpopular leaders and decided to pretend they represent the norm, for no reason.

And "the course" is the American political landscape, because we're talking about approval rating as a means for assessing his chance of winning reelection. How the Prime Minister of France is faring has no connection to that whatsoever.

Barack and George's approval were fairly dire right?
Not at all. The only time either had an approval rating as low was during George W.'s second term. When they were running for reelection--which is, ya' know, what we're actually talking about--they were both much higher. Around or above 50%, which has historically been roughly the level an incumbent has needed to be at to win.

If you want to pretend his approval rating doesn't matter all that much, be my guest. But claiming it isn't historically bad, for an historically long period of time (particularly given how early in his Presidency we are), is just flat out wrong.

Personally, I think his approval rating is close to 100. The media would never release that info though.
Okay, but you're just arbitrarily deciding to believe that based on nothing. Thanks for sharing this thing that you really hope is true but have no reason to believe is.

I am happy to hold my hands up if I am wrong, but in 2020 America is looking at the biggest Republican landslide ever.

Yoda is gonna love that.

Not sure how accurate this is but for what it's worth according to this Obama's Approval Rating was around 51-54% at this point in his presidency (August 09) - http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/ba...-approval.aspx

After that he was pretty consistently high 40s and never fell as low as 39%.

Would be interested in an alternative link, not saying that's completely accurate.
Fair enough, it just seemed like both were greatly disliked.

I never said I was sure lol.
Actually you did. You posted this 2 hours ago: Now they're saying he will lose the next one, but it won't happen.

Originally Posted by RobertBlack
LOL. Now that's what you call Fake News!

Actually you did. You posted this 2 hours ago: Now they're saying he will lose the next one, but it won't happen.
Well, I don't think it will but obviously nobody can be 100% sure in any election, unless it's held in North Korea. But Trump will win the biggest landslide you have ever seen and it's gonna be beautiful. That I promise you.

If he wins less than 40 states I would be shocked. He will for sure win the popular vote next time perhaps getting even 65% of the vote. No matter what, he will win. You have my word and total assurance.

This makes absolutely no sense.

"Par" is what's typical, whereas you've just cherry-picked other highly unpopular leaders and decided to pretend they represent the norm, for no reason.

And "the course" is the American political landscape, because we're talking about approval rating as a means for assessing his chance of winning reelection. How the Prime Minister of France is faring has no connection to that whatsoever.

Not at all. The only time either had an approval rating as low was during George W.'s second term. When they were running for reelection--which is, ya' know, what we're actually talking about--they were both much higher. Around or above 50%, which has historically been roughly the level an incumbent has needed to be at to win.

If you want to pretend his approval rating doesn't matter all that much, be my guest. But claiming it isn't historically bad, for an historically long period of time (particularly given how early in his Presidency we are), is just flat out wrong.
President of France son

It is correct that George and Barack certainly had higher average approval, thats my mistake.

However every President for the last 50 years has had a time of low approval, around or lower than what Trump's supposedly is now, and he has only been in office half a year. GW was a shocking 25 toward end of his final term.

Trumps numbers are historically low for this early on though which has got to be concerning for his supporters. Every Presidents numbers drop as they go on, Obamas sure did but Trumps has fell right away.

Of course there could be a turnaround personally i doubt it but we'll see, that's why this discussion is pretty silly he's not even quarter way through his term yet. He's also the oldest President ever, he might not even last the term or want to run again.

If he wins less than 40 states I would be shocked. He will for sure win the popular vote next time perhaps getting even 65% of the vote. No matter what, he will win. You have my word and total assurance.
I'll listen to your meaningless bravado when you bet money on it and show me the receipt. Until then, nah.

Thinking about it part of the low approval ratings could be that those who don't support Trump HATE him, whereas in what you could call "normal times" people may be in general a bit indifferent to their candidate not winning and will generally get behind the Pres.