Let's talk about our favorite villians...

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Darth Vader...yeah!And Darth Maul,he was cool.How about General Thade in Planet of the Apes.Oh! and the Devil,in Legend...the guy that was in Rocky Horror Picture Show played him...what's his name again?I am awful today.

Rock God
tim curry was in rocky horror. is that the guy? he was also steven king's "it"... there's a scary badguy.

Now With Moveable Parts
Tim Curry!yes,thank you,that's him.did you see Legend?

Rock God
no i have not. is it any good?

Rock God
it's ok. i'll see you soon.. by the way, did anyone mention dracula? the coppola version was so so good, and i'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet. so good. gary oldman is awesome in that role.

Tim Curry as Darkness in Ridley Scott's Legend (1985) is kinda fun, but that performance is all about the amazing make-up. I love Tim Curry, but it could just as well have been about anybody under there.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
What about the Wolf in Neverending Story...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spdrcr
What about the Wolf in Neverending Story...
I think and I'm not positive,but wasn't the wolf's name in Neverending story,Gamork?I remember Atrau saying,"Come for me Gamork...for I am Atrau!"Yes,he was a great villan.I had nightmares untill I was like 10 because of him.
[Edited by sadesdrk on 09-11-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Tim Curry as Darkness in Ridley Scott's Legend (1985) is kinda fun, but that performance is all about the amazing make-up. I love Tim Curry, but it could just as well have been about anybody under there.
Whatever Holden...if it could have been anyone in there then why wasn't it just anyone? They cast Tim Curry as the Devil for the same reason they cast Tim Roth as General Thade...they can be more scary then just your average Joe in make-up.

In the case of Legend, I didn't find that was the case. The make-up, which was AMAZING, is so overwhelming that even his wonderful and expressive voice - filtered through large prosthetic teeth - wasn't particularly distinctive.

I LOVE the make-up and the character, but I don't give Curry much credit for the success. And truly, I adore Tim Curry, from The Rocky Horror Picture Show to Annie to Clue to Loaded Weapon 1 to Muppet Treasure Island to Charley's Angels, I find him imminently watchable. But even as a fan, I can see very little of what Curry added to Darkness in Legend.

But that's my take on it, Man. If you think he did a great job under all taht make-up and added something unique, great. Personally I think he displayed more acting skill and personality in McHale's Navy.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike

I LOVE the make-up and the character, but I don't give Curry much credit for the success. And truly, I adore Tim Curry, from The Rocky Horror Picture Show to Annie to Clue to Loaded Weapon 1 to Muppet Treasure Island to Charley's Angels,[/i]. [/b]
'scuse me but that's Charlie's Angels,buddy,not Charley's...ooooh,that felt good.

What, someone mentioned Clue? That film made my child-hood happier than you could possibly imagine. Curry is a fine movie actor: we in Britain know him just as much as a TV stalwart and a "lovie" of the stage.

Now With Moveable Parts
It's too bad we don't get to see more of him in the states,he really is so talented.I would love to catch him in a live performance.

Sadesdrk, you really should visit our fine land, Great Britain: comprising of Wales to the west, Scotland to the north, Northern Ireland seperate to the north-west and England consumes the remaining territory (sorry for the geography lesson!). What binds these often argueing countries is their penchant for developing fine stage actors. Honestly, they're ten-a-penny within these shores. Film actors are less frequent, usually Studios hire our stage-actors.

Now With Moveable Parts
Our screen actors over here are going back to their roots on the stage.Helen Hunt was in some Shakespear plays.Jack Lemmon visited the stage quite often,he and Kevin Spacey performed Glenngarry GlennRoss in San Fran.not too long ago.Nichole Kidman did,Blue Window as well.I think it's great,stage HAS to be more rewarding as an actor as far as audience feedback and the like.I know when I do preformances,no night is ever the same,people forget their lines,you improv.Scenery falls down,you move on...no retakes or do-overs...just straight acting.

Do you get panto (pantomime) over there? "He's behind you!" as they say in the camp, playing for laughs equivalent of theatre.

Rock God
wow, you're really braggin' up england, aren't you? i think we have our share of stage actors over here, as well.

Now With Moveable Parts
ggfletch-I didn't mean to play down our actors and actesses...I hope you don't think I'm unsatisfied with what we have here...no,we don't have pantomime here...unless you are refering to what we call"mimes"they get beat up.

It was a genuine question, completely and utterly with nothing to do with the fine U.S stage actors you mention. i wouldn't say that I'm bragging up English acting, or even comparing the standard to the U.S'. What I was trying to say is that there are many fine stage actors who could have had a similar impact to that of Tim Curry if they'd flirted a little more with Hollywood. Film actors are what we are defficent in, movie stars... with the notable exceptions of Ewen McGregor, Jude Law, Robert Carslyle, Kate Winslet, Rachel Weiz, Sean Connery and a few others

I suspected that pantomime was a British only stamping ground. Don't worry, it's a credit to your nation that you don't have it.